RA Coaching Forum

Tom's Journal (Read 596 times)

Future running partner.

Ok Despite some slight knee issues. I was able to complete the goal of 44 miles for the week. The 30 mile week was actually a rest week from a 3 week ramp up to 40, so it was not as big of a jump as it may appear. The 10 miler last Thursday was pretty tough, mainly due to high heat and humidity. The knee pain at least didn't get any worse. Friday I was scheduled to run 5 and then take Saturday off. However I had switch that due to travel. Goals: 44 mile week accomplished. Stretched only after 4 runs. Tuesday I accomplished a 6mile AM run and a 3mile PM run. I was only able to complete 1 session of strides. I did not complete any core training. For this week: 48 mile week. 2:15 Long run. Wednesday 2 a day of 3 and 7 miles. 2 Stride sessions 3 Core sessions. Stretching after every run. So far: I completed a 5 mile easy run to start off the week. No stretching or core due to time constraints and laziness. Long run scheduled today of 2 hours and 15 minutes.

Future running partner.

I may have made a jump in conditioning. Big grin Or it could be just due to better weather (low humidity) During my long run yesterday I was only expecting to run at most 13.5 miles but I managed to actually do 13.75. In the 2:15 time I set out to run. I started the run slow and easy as I usually do my long runs, but then I noticed that by 4.5 miles, I was at least a minute ahead of what I have been running. As the run progressed, I still felt very comftorble up until about the last 30min as usual. Even the last 30 was not much different than the previous long runs in effort. I took a quarter mile split in the midst of my last mile and it was about a 2:11. I was finishing pretty fast for my usualy pace w/o feeling like I was pushing it. This was also my longest run since February. Instead of a bottle of water with me, I took a bottle of Gatorade, which might have had something to do with this. In fear that I was going to be more sore than usuall after a longer and faster effort, I ate a hot dog within 30min after my run, drank about 3 glasses of water, a glass of lemonade, and another glass of gatorade. I started feeling a little cold, but I decided to take a cold bath anyway. Weird thing was that the water didn't feel that cold even though the spicket was turned as far right as possible. After the bath I was really cold for a while. I woke up in the middle of the night feeling a little restless, so I was up for about an 1.5 hours before I could fall back to sleep. I woke up today with my legs feeling tired, but not sore at all. Tonight I have a 4 miler scheduled which I think I wll make it a very carefull recovery run of 3.75. I guess I'll see if my pace has really improved over the next few longer runs.

Future running partner.

Knee pain is getting better. Quads are pretty sore from Monday, still.

Knee pain is getting better. Quads are pretty sore from Monday, still.
          Any improvement is always good.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Any improvement is always good.
            Agree with that. Maybe a day off will help those quads?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Not sure if it's the case with you, but when I run cold after a long run it's usually due to not eating enough. Also try not to drink too much right after your run! Glad to hear your knee is starting to feel better!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Future running partner.

Thanks Pam. I had never felt like that after a run before. You are right, I didn't eat as much as usual that day. I didn't think it would be an issue, since I do most of my long runs in the morning before breakfast, but I guess maybe stored calories are still high in the morning as apposed to evening, unless I am eating well throughout the day. The soreness in my quads is finally starting to calm down. It actually seems like my soreness shifts every couple of days. I think I am running pretty close to my limits for this to happen. I am increasing my mileage by 4 miles each week, until, hopefully, I can get to 60. In the process, I have a cut back week every 4th week, which will actually be next week (down to 36). Hopefully this will allow me to recharge enough and the soreness will completely go away. Then its back up to 52, then 56 and finally 60. My last 4 have been 30, 40, 44 and this week will finish up at 48. I haven't run this many mpw since high shool and back then an easy pace was 7:00 miles. As far as taking a day off goes, I have one scheduled for Saturday. I don't want to take it early because I want to be rested for Sunday's long. Since my primary goal right now is to get up to a certain mileage, I maybe less likely to take an extra needed day off. Also, the pattern seems to be that I feel lowsy the first few days after my long run but towards the end of the week I start to feel better. I think as long as I feel really good on the weekend before starting my long run again, I am ok, if not then I will really know to take some rest.

Future running partner.

Finished my first 48 mile week since High School. The log shows 47.9 but with the stride session, I was up to 48. Fridays 10.5'er was really tough, so I must be due for some rest. This week will be back down to a 36 mile week. For today, I completed a 2hr run. My pace was a bit slower than usual. 10:14 avg, which was probably due to a combination of feeling very stiff at the start, focusing on staying comftorble, and probably a little tired from last week. I felt kind of lethargic the last couple of days and I am actually really glad to be in a cut back week. I think after this week rather than jumping to 52 miles, I will repeat the 48 mile week again, then move up to 52. It couldn't hurt to.

Future running partner.

Finish to a Rest Week: After this week of 35 miles I feel really refreshed and this week felt really easy. It wasn't long ago when 35 mpw was my regular mileage and didn't feel nearly this easy. I bought a Garmin Forerunner 305 this week. After only a couple of runs I am now certain that I do way too much of my running too hard. I've always been able to maintain an aerobic effort with all my easy to moderate runs, but I think most of my easy runs are run too close to my LT. Thursday night I did 3.5 miles at my usual pace, w/o paying any attention to my pace or hr. My avg. HR was 155 had this been an 8 to 10 mile run my HR may have gone up to over 170. Yesterday I completed an LT test, from Joe Friel. This consists of about a 15min warm-up, hen a 30 min all out run. Roughly 10k race pace. Then take the avg. HR of the last 20min as a close approximation of LT HR. Then cool down. This turned out to be 179. These are the results: Garmin Stats Split Time Distance AvgHR MaxHR 1 10:00 1.35 166 176 2 20:00 2.67 179 185 Total 30:00 4.02 175 185 Negatives for week: I only completed 35 instead of the goal of 36. This was due to miss calculation of my cool down after my LT test. My left knee felt inflamed and a little tender after the LT test yesterday. This next week my goal will be to complete another 48 mile week, only this time, slower. Then proceed to 52, then 56 before taking my next rest week. My plan now is to continue my mileage build up at an effort that’s 80% of my LT or the bottom of Friel zone 2. I am figuring that my actual Aerobic Threshold is somewhere between 145 and 167. I am going to continue my buildup by running at 80% of LT. This will improve my chances of getting to 60mpw w/o injury. I will periodically run a decoupling test at 80% LT. When drift is less than 5% then I will start training at a higher HR as decoupling improves to less then 5% again. I'll increasing training HR again. Base training will complete when I can run at close to LT effort with < 5% decoupling. then i can move onto doing more strength, speed and anaerobic training. 5%="" decoupling.="" then="" i="" can="" move="" onto="" doing="" more="" strength,="" speed="" and="" anaerobic="" training.=""></ 5% decoupling. then i can move onto doing more strength, speed and anaerobic training. >

I bought a Garmin Forerunner 305 this week.
                      Fun toy!
                      I only completed 35 instead of the goal of 36. This was due to miss calculation of my cool down after my LT test.
                      1 mile really doesn't make much in the way of a difference unless your weekly mileage is below 20. I wouldn't sweat it.

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Future running partner.

This week has not been the best week for running as life has been getting in the way. So Monday I couldn't run. Tuesday was my long run. I started my first couple of runs with HR at roughly 80% of LT. Which is pretty low, 143.5 bpm. My usual HR before the garmin is around 160 which is usually around 10 m/mi. So this was quite a big change. Tuesdays long run was 2hr 15m of 11.1 miles. I tried my best to keep HR below 144. This caused my pace to slow down to about 12:20/mile. This was very unpleasent. When I finished I was more tired then when I finished a 2:15 run of 13.75 miles 2 weeks ago. I also only managed an average hr of 146, a little hire than goal. The good news was that decoupling for the whole run was a little more than 6%, so I won't have to run this slow for long. This mornings run was better. 5 mi in 59:30. Avg hr was 138 and pace was faster (11:54/mile). Perhaps I am adapting to this pace quickly. As soon as decoupling is less than 5% for 2hrs goal hr will increase to 148.

Future running partner.

I finished last week @ 31 miles. Not even close to the 48 I was planning to do.Sad A number of things went wrong, primarily life getting in the way of me being able to complete a few scheduled runs. Also, I started training at a much lower HR than usual, so my pace dropped from about 10m/mi to about 12m/mi or less. So I wasn't able to cover nearly as much distance in the allotted time I have. Time constraints have also taken me off of my normal stretching/core training routines. This week the goal will be to complete 9hrs 15min of running at a very low HR, for me. This will be in the range of 138 to 143. I am not worried about how much ground I will cover, it’s about time on my feet. This weekend I’ll be up in the Ohio Valley area, so I am looking forward to running in some relatively cooler weather up there. Below is my new plan for base training. It’s a little different, but it makes sense to me. Read on if you don’t mind my long windedness. I am experimenting with some different ideas about base training right now. This means that my plans for obtaining 60 mi/wk have changed. The goal is still there but the means has changed. After lots of research, and finally getting a Garmin, I have a plan that makes sense to me. In base training, time on the feet is more important than pace. So with the exception of every 4th week I plan to run 9 to 10 hrs/week. I ran an LT test a couple of weeks ago and discovered my HR @ LT is approximately 179 right now, at a pace of about 7:40/mile in fairly warm, humid weather. A respected triathlon coach, Joe Friel, suggests that for base training the focus needs to be efforts south of the Aerobic Threshold (AeT). Friel and Gordo, another tri coach/athlete, have experienced that AeT falls in the range of roughly 80-90% of LT, depending on an athlete’s fitness in that sport and other physiolical factors. Hadd suggested finding the Marathon Goal Pace HR. Then start with a HR rate significantly lower than this. Periodically use his test for aerobic fitness. As fitness improves increase the effort of training until training occurs at close to Marathon Goal Pace HR. I plan on using this method with the exception that my goal HR will be around 90% of LT and I will be using a different test then his. I am starting with 80% of LT or a bit lower because there is a bit of a consensus that AeT for most non elite athletes occurs here. The test I will be using is Friel’s decoupling test, which I will do weekly or even semi-weekly. For me 80% LT is 143.5. I’ve set a training zone of 138 to 144. If on a 2hr run decoupling is < 5%="" for="" two="" consecutive="" long="" runs="" i="" will="" start="" to="" train="" at="" a="" slightly="" higher="" rate.="" this="" will="" be="" 144-149.="" i’ll="" then="" repeat="" the="" process="" until="" at="" 90%="" lt,="" decoupling="" is="" />< 5% at that point i will move onto faster training twice a week with tempo runs, aerobic intervals/fartlek and hills. core training, stretching and strides will still be done regularly. getting to 60mpw will occur slowly by running 9 to 10 hrs/wk. as effort and pace gets faster, my mileage will go up. 5%="" at="" that="" point="" i="" will="" move="" onto="" faster="" training="" twice="" a="" week="" with="" tempo="" runs,="" aerobic="" intervals/fartlek="" and="" hills.="" core="" training,="" stretching="" and="" strides="" will="" still="" be="" done="" regularly.="" getting="" to="" 60mpw="" will="" occur="" slowly="" by="" running="" 9="" to="" 10="" hrs/wk.="" as="" effort="" and="" pace="" gets="" faster,="" my="" mileage="" will="" go="" up.=""></ 5% at that point i will move onto faster training twice a week with tempo runs, aerobic intervals/fartlek and hills. core training, stretching and strides will still be done regularly. getting to 60mpw will occur slowly by running 9 to 10 hrs/wk. as effort and pace gets faster, my mileage will go up. >

Future running partner.

Completed 45.7 miles last week. Pretty good considering the very slow pace I was running. More importantly I completed 9hrs 17m of running last week. My avg HR was in the range of 138 to 143 for the week. About 80% or less of LT. Sunday and thursday's long run showed a Pace/hr decoupling of less than 5% (explanation). My legs feel pretty good at this point. My knee tenderness is less apparent. Even after thursdays 2hr run at 12m/mi and 142 avgHr, my legs felt almost no fatigue. So based on decoupling and how I feel, I think I can move up in effort. As planned since decoupling was < 5%="" then="" i="" will="" start="" running="" at="" a="" little="" hire="" effort="" of="" about="" 82%="" lt.="" this="" equates="" to="" a="" range="" of="" 144-148="" bpm.="" sundays="" 2hr="" run="" at="" this="" effort="" felt="" really="" good.="" weather="" was="" nice="" up="" in="" wv="" 8-),="" so="" i="" was="" able="" to="" really="" take="" advantage.="" avg="" pace="" dropped="" to="" 11:10/mi.="" i="" did="" notice="" my="" legs="" where="" more="" fatigued="" in="" the="" last="" couple="" of="" miles="" and="" post="" run,="" but="" i="" still="" wasn't="" fatigued="" in="" my="" cardio.="" decoupling="" this="" time="" was="" only="" 3.5%.="" whmmm,="" my="" intuition="" is="" telling="" my="" that="" i="" should="" only="" increase="" effort="" if="" i="" can="" run="" 2hrs="" w/o="" any="" fatigue="" and="" decoupling="" is="" /><5%.>:]</5%.>

Future running partner.

Last week: I completed 47.8 miles, despite being out of town the beginning of the week. This week I set my HR zone to be a bit higher 138-148. So I was able to cover more miles even though I ran about 17 minutes less. Conditioning and better weather is probably a factor as well. I completed 2 core sessions and 1 stride session. T-13 weeks to first marathon: This week, the goal is to complete at least 50 miles and 9.5 hrs or running. I've also started attempting to do all my running at 6AM (except for the 2 a day). Despite having a delayed long run (Tuesday), I've already reached 29.3 miles I have 3 more workouts to get to 50, so I don't think it will be a problem. Tuesday I ran the equivalent to a half mary in 2.5 hrs. Cardio wise I felt fine but my legs where pretty tired, my hr went up a lot in the last 4 miles. Given how heavy this work was, right now it’s hard to imagine completing a fool mary in less than 5 hrs, although the McMillan calculator says I can run a 3:50 mary based on my 8k pr and my recent LT test. Modified plan: Since I started training with the Garmin. My base training pace has slowed pretty dramatically, but is beginning to catch up to where it was before, in just a few weeks time. Since I am not sure how far my pace is going to pick up before the race, I will continue to run the following hours per week in 4 week cycles, starting from next week. wk1 8hrs wk2 9:45 hrs wk3 9 hrs wk4 10hrs Every odd week will either be 8 or 9 hrs. Every even week will increase by 15min from the previous even week, just by increasing the long run. Three weeks before the mary my long run will peak at 4hrs and should cover at least 22 miles. Also weekly mileage at that point will be at least 60. This is worst case scenario if my training pace does not improve much beyond 11m/mi. If I get to 60mpw sooner then weekly duration can probably be a bit shorter as pace improves.

Marquess of Utopia

I think you are training smart by keeping track your time spent running. I just started reading Jack Daniel's "Running Formula" and he recommends training based on time spent running or mileages (choosing the lesser of the two) for most of his programs. But I digress; I'm such a mileage whore, I love the numbers. How far are you planning to running for your longest long run?