Trailer Trash

No Tuesdaily, how about a Wednesdaily? (Read 14 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning Trailers!

Getting some snow this morning; needed as we're only about 80% of normal- state is 75-100% normal depending on the drainage.  It always feels better when we're above normal.

Got a nice 5 miles in yesterday; some light snow as we were finishing up.

Getting some miles in later and strength training as well.  Nice to be not working and I can everything done in a day- when I want to 

qotd: Your favorite vacation you took as a kid?  My folks were pretty good about taking us different places, but a lot of it was historical stuff (different museums, forts, battlefields, etc) and at that age, not overly interested.  We would always get in a few camping trips in, typically near a lake where we could swim and fish (and generally goof off)- those were my favorites.

yesterday

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Still taking days off, but I am seeing some ever-so-slight improvements each day. But my ribs are really f*cked up. It's going to be a slow process. My DD got double barrel kicked in the ribs by a horse a while back and she said it took some time to feel normal again. And a co-worker of mine fell and bruised his ribs playing basket ball and said the same thing.  Crud, I'm ready to be over this already.

Although I do feel like I could probably run slowly, if something happened like a trip, fall, chased by a rabbit, etc. I could really set things back so I'll try to hold off a bit more.

mt - congrats on paying off the house. Did you burn the bank papers to celebrate?  Also nice photo, as always.

qort: we all used to pile on our sailboat and go 'cruising' for 10 days or so at the east end of Long Island.  It was fun because we were in a group of other families and the kids would get together on one of the boats or play around rowing/sailing the dinghies (ours had a sail which of course I loved). Looking back it was kinda crazy that they'd let us kids sail around unknown waters pretty far from the larger boats, I think I was about 10 at the time. Although I could swim like a fish, my mom did make me wear a lifejacket, which I hated.

tbd.

XtremeTaper

Jogged 4 last night up at the local trail with Baker. Still snow covered up there except for a few places with full sun exposure. I suspect it will be gone in the next few days as we are warming up the 50's. If not, oh well. I will be down in sunny FL starting this weekend. Probably hit CW trails tonight with Baker.

QOTD: We did some trips with the grandparents to places like New York City, Niagra Falls, even Chicago. But my dad always had a boat, cabin cruisers and eventually a houseboat. It was a weekend thing but usually 1 summer a week we would cruise around lake Erie, stopping at the islands (Kelly's, South Bass) and my favorite was when we would overnight at Cedar Point, which is an amusement park right on the lake. We'd wake up and could go straight into the park and stay until closing. The islands were fun too, for biking and exploring.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Yesterday was 5 uninspired, predawn miles (my legs had nunthin') and lots of PT exercises, which probably contributed to the dead legs.  This a.m. it was PT exercises and then I'll do my core/ST stuff after work.

After 34 years of marriage, The Hub and I reached true adulthood with me buying an honest to God comforter set for our bed.  Put it on last night . . . and we both roasted.  So much for leaving the redneck blanket system behind.  True adulting isn't all it's cracked up to be. 

QOTD: Our vacations were always camping vacations in the Sierras above Fresno, a lot of times with my dad's DS and her family, which were always fun.  The one that sticks out most in my mind is when we landed in the overflow section of an extremely crowded campground and none of us were happy about it.  My dad and uncle went out scouting for better camping sites each day for a couple of days and found one along a river with no other people in sight.  Us kids (5 of us) could free range, my mom and aunt would put their camp chairs in the river and just relaxed.  Dad and my uncle would roam upstream.  A few times, we all set out on hikes together.  One day, my brother and older cousin came back and said they found a big swimming hole with a small waterfall. The water was freaking cold. My dad and uncle talked my brother into taking the Nestea Plunge. His back was SO red!   I'm surprised he didn't have a heart attack from the shock of the cold water.

I think this one sticks out most in my mind because it was before my mom's Rheumatoid started really destroying her body and she was still able to function and enjoy activities.  It was a good time.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

runtraildc

Got in 5 yesterday afternoon on the paved creek trail. It was the upper 30s, which was relatively warm for this winter. It was a good and brisk (speedy) run for me.

fatozzig-- Ha- I understand! We use a duvet over a light comforter and it works well. The cotton is pretty breathable and comfortable. Now DH has been using a weighted blanket for insomnia (it works well for him) so now we have a multi-redneck system.

qotd: We had a lot of good vacations as a kid -- not one stands out. Spent a lot of time in the Boundary Waters, also in the West especially in the Hardrock area (Telluride, Ouray, Silverton).  These were long vacations-- 3 weeks of camping with the occasional motel for the shower and pool.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Intervals yesterday, an "easy" hour run-walk today

QOTD:  Through junior high, vacation consisted of my grandparents picking us up and taking us back to southern Illinois where they lived. They introduced us the the beautiful state parks of southern Illinois.  My father's idea of a vacation was starting another home improvement project.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Hefty interval workout today followed by a leg workout.  Felt good and tired after.

Sandy, ugh on the sore ribs.  I'll echo what you already know: sore ribs take a LONG time to heal.  And whatever you do, avoid sneezing, which is a near-death experience.

Warden, great pic as usual.

Fatozzig, laughing at the comforter saga.  Just a duvet here, and sometimes that's too much for me.

Hi to everyone.

QOTD: Our usual family vacation when I was little involved driving up to a small town in southeast WA via Bend, OR, for a few weeks with extended family on my maternal grandmother's side.  My parents would drop us off and go somewhere nice, like Europe.    But as kids, I think we got the better end of the deal.  Creeks, inner-tubing on the river, hanging out at the ranch, riding around in the wheat truck, driving the tractor...  As far as memorable/favorite trips, there was that one summer when my Dad volunteered at a hospital in American Samoa so we hung out there for a month.  Hard to beat that as a vacation.  And then they bought a place in Ireland, so we had many good trips there.  We had to put in some work to help restore a 300 year-old house, but also had lots of fun mucking around with local kids.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR