Trailer Trash

Tickless Tuesday (Read 16 times)

XtremeTaper

Took an easy walk by the lake last night. The flies were driving Baker nuts but no ticks. Saw a lady with a stroller and a few kids on the trail. Part of the section we walked was somewhat decent surface but certainly not stroller friendly so good for her. I have seen a few couples now and then that have what look like 4-wheel drive strollers. Cracks me up. I think it's great.

Might try a short jog tonight. I feel pretty normal now. About the same as last week before I noticed the rash.

QOTD:  What annoying bugs are out in your area now?

We are getting a surge of spotted lanternflies again. Mild compared to 3-4 years ago, but still present here. They are invasive species from Asia. This area was the epicenter of their invasion a few years back and they are spreading. We are killing dozens a day on the back deck now. They stare at you with beady red eyes. We keep multiple swatters around on the deck. They are bad for certain trees and vineyard.

Ways to Fight the Spotted Lanternfly | Montgomery Township New Jersey

In dog beers, I've only had one.

dhuffman63

Trails

Those look pretty nasty.  It's still over 100 here so the only time I'm outside is to get into and out of my car to go to work.  Not sure any bugs have made it through the last few weeks of over 100 but for some reason I find baby crickets in the bathroom, and they are dead. Not sure what's going on there but I assume they are looking for water since we've had no noticeable rain for over a month now.  Hopefully we'll get some on Thur, Fri, Sat and Sun as shown on the forecast.

I'm back.  Haven't even attempted to find out what I missed the last 4 days.  I assume everyone is still essentially upright. 

We had a good time at The Hub's family reunion.  Very small group, but that's okay.  Out of the 8 people who were supposed to camp, it ended up being only him and me.  Friday driving up and then again Saturday after the reunion, we had some good discussions re retirement, moving, home repairs, and buying a travel trailer.  The upshot is we're going to have someone he knows and trusts come in and give us an estimate on the projects we want to complete at the house, and we're going to buy a travel trailer.  We've talked about it forever and finally decided to pull the trigger.  Some time in the next few weeks, we're going to do a day trip up to Grants Pass and Medford to look at the various sizes and makes/models and see what we like, then take our time looking for a good used trailer. His sister and BIL have owned motorhomes for years, so we're already asking them questions about what we should look for as far as configurations go. It'll be a process, but we're not in a hurry.

I got in a good bike workout Friday before we left, but nothing again until this morning.  45 min on the stationary bike, then about 15 min of core/ST work.

I started with a new PT last Thursday for my PF.  He's a runner, cyclist, and swimmer who has PF issues, so he knows where I'm coming from.  Yesterday, we started with deep tissue massage of the calf and foot and some ultrasound.  He assistance found this site (https://www.steadyfoot.com/) that has a plethora of shoe info, including the hill drop of almost every shoe out there.   I haven't had a chance to explore it thoroughly, but it looks to chock full of information.

QOTD: We're lucky we don't have issues with weird bugs around here.  We do have problems with ants, but that's pretty much a given whenever it gets wet.  We use a lot of Terro.

Okay.  Off to get some work done.  Enjoy ~~

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

LB2

I had a little work stuff going on early and a dentist appointment. I did manage to get up extra early to get in 1.8 miles on the gravel in front of the house. I have had a good month of running, but I am going to have to push it a little bit to make my minimum goal of 100 miles by Sunday. But, I suspect I will get it.

QOTD: No bugs right now, but I may be the only person in Louisiana who wouldn't say mosquitoes. For me, mosquitoes are not much of a problem for me. In May to early June, we have issues with horseflies and deerflies.

LB2

LB2

We had a good time at The Hub's family reunion.  Very small group, but that's okay.  Out of the 8 people who were supposed to camp, it ended up being only him and me.  Friday driving up and then again Saturday after the reunion, we had some good discussions re retirement, moving, home repairs, and buying a travel trailer.  The upshot is we're going to have someone he knows and trusts come in and give us an estimate on the projects we want to complete at the house, and we're going to buy a travel trailer.  We've talked about it forever and finally decided to pull the trigger.  Some time in the next few weeks, we're going to do a day trip up to Grants Pass and Medford to look at the various sizes and makes/models and see what we like, then take our time looking for a good used trailer. His sister and BIL have owned motorhomes for years, so we're already asking them questions about what we should look for as far as configurations go. It'll be a process, but we're not in a hurry.

I have never had an RV or travel trailer or whatever. But you may want to check out Alan Warren's YouTube channel. He can be, in my opinion, a little obnoxious at times, but sometimes, people just get on my nerves and it is me, not them. He knows quite a bit about this subject, and he recommends getting a used one first. He may have a podcast, too. I can't remember. He used to have a fishing show on some outdoor network; then he owned a campground; and now he is pretty much retired and has this YouTube show.

LB2

Thanks, LB!

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sandy-2

I'm still here. I'm over Covid, but could still sleep at any time I feel like it.  DW is also almost done with it as well, she's about 4 or 5 days after me in the whole process.  I rode the mtb yesterday and will also do a few miles today before dinner.  In this heat is easier to ride the bike than to walk or run. Actually I don't think I could run at the moment.

DS and his GF are driving down from Denver to take care of some weeding stuff (the weddings in TX in November).  My DS will visit in the driveway I guess, even though we are past our peak Covid transmission we'll be cautious anyway.  What a PITA.

qotd: I've noticed that we have a few cicada shells around the patio and garage. They don't bother me though.

tbd.

runtraildc

Hi all. Still a non-runner, but today is the first day in over two weeks that I don't have any cold or cough symptoms. Mainly was the deep congestion and cough that was wearing on me. I was planning on a brewery run tonight, but our dogsitter is stopping by later for instructions. I also took Chowder to my hairdresser's and he met her 8 month old Cane Corso pup. Chowder was not a fan (I am, though).

qotd: gnats. I was hit by a swarm earlier.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Ran 5 walked 1.2.

qotd:  Mike found a cock roach in my bathroom....we googled cockroaches in Michigan and luckily it was an outdoor roach that sone times ends up inside because he's lost.   The black flies are bad in the woods but only on dirt road .

fatozzigg:  I think you will be looking at the right time to find a good yard one.   I think the craze of new campers during vivid May be ending and there should be a lot of trailers.  My favorite trailer was a weekend warrior because it had large water tank and black and grays.   This allowed us to camp where there were no facilities and less people.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄