Trailer Trash

Misty Monday (Read 21 times)

LB2

I awoke to the most tropical air I have ever felt and went back to sleep. I am actually glad I did because I haven't felt this rested since they gave me the Michael Jackson drug for my colonoscopy in January. Yesterday, we had a feeder band from Barry come up and spin off a few tornadoes to our south, but they were short lived and no real issues where they spun up or with us. It looks like everyone came through this fine. No real horror stories inland.

QOTD: What is the worst weather event you have ever run through?

I think Rocky Raccoon 100 in 2012 was the absolute worst weather I have ever seen while running. The first 5 hours was just an absolute deluge of rain and probably enough lightning that it should have been called. But, hey, it is Texas. So we ran. A close second would be the 2011 MS 50, which was called by the forest service not long after I finished the race (50K). Some 50 milers had finished, like two or three before they pulled the plug. That was called due to lightning and the threat of tornadoes.

LB2

dhuffman63

Trails

PT tonight and I'm feeling great....really want to start training again.  I'm looking at the KS Fall Extravaganza in Ottawa, it's Oct 26th on the Prairie Spirit rail trail...looking at the 50k.  I get a free entry cause I volunteered all day Fri at the Mar event.  It's got a 28 hour cutoff.  I really want to get the 50k done there.  It's beaten me twice now...DNF the first time at 24 mile because of my back and the 30mph headwinds then this Mar DNS due to the weather...below freezing all day, snow, wind and my back was having non of that nonsense.

qotd: The worst weather caused event was Brazos Bend, the torrential rain the days before made for ankle+ deep slippery ass mud and the sprinkles and cold the rest of the day caused my first 50 mile attempt DNF.  At Flint Hills it rained all day but on a gravel road so no mud, just cold and wet.  I won't go out in lightening all though I'm certainly not going to be the tallest person  sometimes there are benefits to being small.

AT-runner

Tim

Bike ride tonight on the trailer.  I'll probably watch the Tour de France rplay while I ride to motivate me. 

Gatsby and Moon - building a Tiny House with DS for him to use and travel in. Finalizing plans now, but 20' trailer with a loft space.  Trailer is being built now and coming in 2 weeks.

Looks like this.

LB - how's the area holding up, damage wise?

DHuff - Glad you are improving, but start back slow.

QOTD:  A couple of really hot races, including the 2014 (or 2015) Sole Challenge 24hr when it go to 90°, but most scary weather was a night trail run in Redding (Dark and Dirty).  Thunderstorms hit at mile 3 and brought torrential rain with very active lightning.  We were about as far away from the finish as we could get, and the only way back was to stay on trail.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Planning on a bike ride with DW later today. 25-30 miles, maybe a little more.  Ran just over 6 miles yesterday. Felt pretty good considering I'm not running much. Saturday was a rest day. Didn't even do any laps in the parking lot at work on Saturday.

Couple of months ago I had a new tenant moved under my one shed. Due to lack of good hygiene and other issues his neighbors didn't like him and were moving out.  DW and I have been trying to serve him his eviction papers but he is really alert and disappears whenever we see him.  Yesterday DS was successful on serving the eviction notice. But not before he (DS) put a nice round hole in my brand spanking new steel garage door   .  Not too big, just a .40 caliber hole .   Then Mr Hogg came out to laugh at him. Big mistake that time.  I was going to charge DS with destruction of property but a well dress bunny wabbit showed up at the door with a brief case. Looked like a defense attorney, and a few others lined up with medals to decorate him so I dropped the charges .  Now the rabbits are free to move back in a enjoy the plethora of clover that is growing in the yard.

Oh yea, my Bluebirds are back, in love, and trying to raise a family .

QOTD:  Don;t have a lot of experience running in horrible weather.  I used to ride though some of  the worst winter weather that our area had to offer. Rode once in about 10-12 degrees with a 20+ MPH wind. Also rode in ice storms. Ride 3-4 miles get off and run a 1/4 or 1/2 mile to warm up the toes.

For running my worst had to be 2018 Montour 24 hr. Middle of May. Temps dropped into the 20s and it started raining through the night. The river bottom dirt turned slipperyer then snot and I rolled my ankles twice. So cold I couldn't feel them so that was a plus. Then the mud was almost up to your knees some places. I got Hypothermic twice and had to sleep it off in the vehicle with the heater running at full blast.  When if finally warmed up in the afternoon it got rather muggy until a few small thunderstorms rolled through making more mud.

Bert-o can attest that I'm only exaggerating by about 20 degrees on the temps and maybe by 6 inches on mud .  The only race that I'm really interested in doing again at this point.

dhuffman63

Trails

AT, just going to start with 10 min then move to 15 min and so forth...slowly.  I can wait until last min to register since the discount is good for whatever the fees are.  Since I'm not doing the 24 hour at Lhotse Labor Day, I'm just going down and volunteering Sat and Sun.  I'll get a good idea of what to expect for next year.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Morning!  Popping in to say hello.

Diane, I'm glad to hear that you're starting to feel better!

QOTD:  I feel like I'm run through almost every bad weather there is.  I've run through blizzards and hail and lightning and below zero and high heat and freezing rain and rain that felt like buckets were dumping on you and wind that makes you feel like you were going backward and that special kind of precip that is a mixture of snow/sleet/rain/freezing rain.  I've even (accidentally) run during tornado warnings.  Hearing the sirens go off when you're a couple of miles from home sure makes you pick up the pace.  I haven't run through a hurricane and I haven't run through 120 degree heat, but otherwise I feel like I have the rest of bad weather covered...

Running is dumb.

XtremeTaper

I had a long run fail on Saturday, head just wasn't into it and so I decided to cut it short to 10 or 11 miles, but then tripped and took a pretty good spill about 4 miles in and said screw this and turned around and shuffled back for 8 miles in total. Weird, saw a lot of runners too out at the lake and they all seemed to be flying while I shuffled back at a jog. Yesterday, 7 miles in 2 runs, a short one with the Lady and a more normal run out at the local trail.

Good news is my golf game. Had a nice round yesterday, low round for me on this particular course (78). Played with the club champion and another dude who holds the course record, and one more member about my age. The one dude bashed out a 68 from the tips. Sort of fun playing with scratch golfers and I didn't hack it up around them.

Plan for today is weights at lunch, perhaps a run after work, though I need to finish power washing the deck. I did the bulk of that work on Saturday. Then comes the fun part of sealing it.

QOTD: Massanutten 100 in 2009 takes the cake for foul weather. Weather started out hot and humid (pushing 85-90) and finished cool and breezy (55-60). That meant spring cold front and thunderstorms. 2 good rounds of them... lightning and heavy rain. The whole shebang. The first storm was brief, an hour or less around mile 40, the second one much longer and stronger. Seemed to last for several sections from a few hours before sunset well into the night. It eventually stopped and became cool and breezy and I was lucky to have stashed a jacket in my last drop bag. Feet were totally thrashed into hamburger from constant running through wet trails, mud, and pop up creeks, but once morning came I was able to bounce back and ignore them. A very high dropout rate that year. My friend got caught on Bird Knob during that second storm (I was already down off that mountain) and became cold, close to hypothermic and dropped at the next aid station.

LB2 - Glad things were not too bad from Barry. We had some bad flash flooding here last Thursday from 4-5" of rain in a short period od time late afternoon. The trails out at the lake took a beating in the drainage gullies and several of the creeks look different now from erosion and debris. We've been well above normal precipitation here now for more than a year.

DHuffman - Glad you are feeling better. Dreaming big already!

AT - Enjoy your trailer ride. You have trailer on the brain. Looking forward to the mountain stages this week.

Mandy - Hi!!   :waving:

DD - I remember those posts from Montour. Similar weather probably to MMT but you had to keep spinning around over the same trails..

Sandy - Nice packing work. Better to have more than less I always thought.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

SRD for me today.  Drop bags all set to go.  Now I just have to hang out and go stir-crazy for a few days until we start traveling Thursday after work.

From left to right, stuff I want at the start, stuff for Tunnel Creek (a "central" spot we go thru 3 times per loop), and stuff for the 50 mile point. Probably too much crap and I only really need the gels and glide, but it'll be windy with temps between 40 and 85 deg, so as they say "be prepared".

I’ve made some pace charts for me in the 100 (5am start) and my DD in the 50 (6am start).  It’s a 50 mi loop, obviously she’ll do 1 loop and I get to do 2.  I figure that there’s no doubt that Gatsby Bird is going to come flying by me at some point so that’ll be fun.  Maybe I’ll even try to hang on for a mile or so… but that’s doubtful.  The more interesting thing will be if I’m going a little slow and my DD is moving along we may get to do quite a few miles together starting about half to two-thirds around the loop.  That’ll be cool too!!!

dhuff – great news on the back, but please be careful not to come roaring back to soon and too quickly. We don’t want you to go back to zero.

LB2 – glad to hear that things went ok over there.  Scary about the nearby tornados, a little too close for comfort I guess.

qotd: I ran in the few hours before Hurricane Harvey hit us here 2 years ago. It was kinda crazy with the wind starting to build (it wasn’t crazy yet, just like a very windy day), the rain was really coming down though and a local stream went from being ankle-deep on my way out to thigh-deep on the way back a short time later.  Don’t worry it was pretty stagnant so I wasn’t worried about raging waters, but I was worried about snakes!!!

I’ve also been up at high altitude a few times when lightening storms have popped up (Hardrock, Bighorn, Colorado Trail), that’s really scary since there is just nowhere to go. But I’ve also been running near our house when a lightening storm came roaring through, it’s really scary when the lightening bolt and thunderclap (or more like a really loud zapping sound) occur at the exact same time.

Edit:  Oh yeah, XT reminded me, when I did Grindstone (sorta near Massanutten I guess) it rained and blew a gale for about 32 of the 35 hours I was out there.  The extremely high winds on ridges we were running on all day/night were crazy, especially near the end.  We were in some outer bands of a hurricane going up the east coast.

tbd.

LB2

LB - how's the area holding up, damage wise?

I can't say that there is much damage to report at all regionally. We have zero damage that I can see. My neighbor passed out. I don't know if it was because he drank too much VO or because he actually passed the kidney stone. He is the guy who gave me the Cub Cadet mower with 40 hours on it because he couldn't get down and work on it anymore. I went down to check on him after I saw an ambulance and a police car go down the road in front of my house yesterday. He said he passed the stone, not sure if that was while he was passed out or not. He said it was the worst pain he had ever felt, and he knows pain. Years ago, some guys tried to steal his truck with his toddler daughter in it. He resisted and ended up getting shot in the hip by one of the thugs. They took off and were eventually caught. Then, he had either stomach or colon cancer, which he also survived. I imagine him as the knight on Monty Python.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I did another crossfit workout yesterday! 

really easy one- for time: 1 mile run, then 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups and 300 air squats and finish with another 1 mile run; not sure why everyone says crossfit is that hard?

will probably hit the trails after work

qotd: I run in some bitterly cold weather, but race wise probably the Beaverhead 55- there is a long off trail stretch on top of the Continental Divide and it just happened when I hit that stretch that it started to rain, then hail and finally snow- not the best area to be caught out in with a mountain storm

my buddy from this weekend

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

qotd: I ran in the few hours before Hurricane Harvey hit us here 2 years ago. It was kinda crazy with the wind starting to build (it wasn’t crazy yet, just like a very windy day), the rain was really coming down though and a local stream went from being ankle-deep on my way out to thigh-deep on the way back a short time later.  Don’t worry it was pretty stagnant so I wasn’t worried about raging waters, but I was worried about snakes!!!

That reminds me of the MS 50 in 2011. We went through the first 12.5 mile loop and water was ankle deep. By the second 12.5 mile loop, the water was to mid-thigh, with lightning popping everywhere by the time I hit the 10K loop to finish. They eventually called the race after 8 hours, but I had been done a couple of hours by then. My brother finished right before they called it.

LB2

dhuffman63

Trails

You realize to me you all sound insane...lol.

AT-runner

Tim

I can't say that there is much damage to report at all regionally. We have zero damage that I can see. My neighbor passed out. I don't know if it was because he drank too much VO or because he actually passed the kidney stone. He is the guy who gave me the Cub Cadet mower with 40 hours on it because he couldn't get down and work on it anymore. I went down to check on him after I saw an ambulance and a police car go down the road in front of my house yesterday. He said he passed the stone, not sure if that was while he was passed out or not. He said it was the worst pain he had ever felt, and he knows pain. Years ago, some guys tried to steal his truck with his toddler daughter in it. He resisted and ended up getting shot in the hip by one of the thugs. They took off and were eventually caught. Then, he had either stomach or colon cancer, which he also survived. I imagine him as the knight on Monty Python.

Speaking of pythons, I just read on USA Today's site that snakes will be a big problem in LA for the next few weeks due to all the flooding.  So now you have that to look forward to on your runs.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

Speaking of pythons, I just read on USA Today's site that snakes will be a big problem in LA for the next few weeks due to all the flooding.  So now you have that to look forward to on your runs.

It does tend to bring them out a little more, a lot if actually flooded. But I generally see them moving more when it is super dry, searching for water. I had one scare me so bad one evening that I totally changed my route until after the first frost, giant cottonmouth. Went back with a shotgun to try to kill him, but I never could locate him around that culvert after the initial sighting.

LB2

Bert-o

I lost my rama

LB2 - Glad Barry missed you.  I mean, who would want to admit to be walloped by someone named "Barry"???   I'm sure you know how to handle those snakes too.  Be safe nonetheless.

Sandy & Gatsby - Good luck this weekend!!!  Gatsby - kick Sandy's ass for me (or at least slap it on your way past) will you?  Sandy - Glad all is (kinda) dry in Houston and you don't have a problem.

AT - A feast of blue crabs is one of my favorites.  Yes, you don't get a lot of meat for the work, but the work is more than half the fun.... or is it just getting dirty?  Well, I'm sure you know the answer.  Happy belated B-Day to Mrs. AT.

WC - Nice race!  You're really cooking it this year.  Keep it up!

dhuffman - Glad to hear you are on the mend.  Hope you're back on your feet soon and as AT said, take your time getting there.  But you will.

FTYC - Hope your daughter is recovering well.  Sorry to hear about the other incident.  Tragic and wishing the best to the family.

runtrail - Hope you're feeling better and the household too.  Regarding new recipes, have you tried to make Bun Reiu?  It's a Vietnamese crab noodle soup.  It doesn't sound like much from the ingredients, but it's very tasty!

warden - Keep those pics coming.  Love seeing those, especially with Tiny E.

Hi!  to everyone else.

QOTD:  First, Daydreamer is in fact incorrect about the 2018 Montour 24 Hr.  The temps were not in the 20's, but rather minus 20's.  And the mud was not knee deep, but rather waist deep or even chest deep, depending on how tall you were.  It was epic conditions of the ages.  Of course, I'd do it all over again, if given the chance.

Update:  (short version)  Had to go to the ER last Wed because my esophagus completely closed.  Couldn't get a sip of water down, or push a burp up.  Not much you can do if you can't get any water in you.  After debating which hospital (of about 20 to choose from), we made a last minute decision to go back to Lenox Hill ER.  About 2 hours in the ER, Dr. Robbins (whom my wife calls an Angel) came to see me who was also the GI doc I last saw.  He said he'd put a stent in my esophagus the next morning.  Great!  (unless you have had a stent put in your esophagus before... .um, not so great).  We ditched our oncologist and asked for one who worked with the GI and ENT doc and worked out of the same hospital.  They hooked us up with a new oncologist and radiation oncologist, so that the entire team of specialists closely know and work together.  And the PET scan which we have been battling for for over a week was scheduled in no time.  Things are finally starting to fall into place versus the endless game of hurry up and wait another week for the next appointment, etc.

Good news is that the PET scan showed no signs of cancer spreading to other important innards (I failed to tell them that they forgot to scan my feet.... um, aren't they important for us runners?!?!?!).  The head of the radiation oncology dept. came to see me and discussed his treatment plan and I will go in for a "mapping" first thing tomorrow morning.  I suspect the ball is rolling on that side.  And even though the oncologist was out, his Fellow came to see me a few times and even gave me the good news on the PET scan hours after it was completed and before the official results came through, since he called and talked to the doc directly.  I'm not so much relieved as I am for DW, who has been in knots since I told her I couldn't swallow anymore.

Bad news is that the stent is really a temporary measure so I can at least swallow fluids.  It's pushing the tumorous mass upwards and starting to divert anything toward the trachea, so I'm coughing a lot.  Sleep is all but nil as I have to sleep on my side, so saliva doesn't asphyxiate me or I sleep in a puddle of my own spit.  Not sure which is worse.  In any case, I always knew things would get worse before any better.  Time to hold on for the ride as radiation and chemo treatment should start soon.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours