Trailer Trash

Thursdaily (Read 14 times)

LB2

Ran 3 this morning. It was pretty nice at 48*F.

QOTD: Any wildlife sightings in the new year on runs?

I saw a large turkey gobbler this morning about 60 yards from the corner of my house.

LB2

XtremeTaper

I've been running the same loop all week so far, 4 miles up at the local trail. Work and schedule has made it the best option for running the dog. Some of the loop he has to be on leash but most of it not, since the trail is not that busy late in the day during the winter and he we will stop/wait on command if we see someone.

I hope to break that trend today and get him out to a more "real" trail out at the lake or Coventry Woods. The snow storms of this week have missed us so far but we are forecast for a few inches overnight.

QOTD: Nothing unusual. We did see a blue heron the other day down in the hollow by the pond on the local trail. New Year's day we saw a deer loping away in the distance on our run in GA. It was sort of cool as the deer was 100 foot or so below us bounding down the hill sort of far away and mostly all you saw was the white tail.

LB2 - Seems you have turkey on your mind already!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Overslept and barely squeaked out 4.30 of the 5 miles that were on schedule.  If I'd done the full 5, I would've been late to work (yes, I'm that slow).

I got home yesterday to the surprise of Sam sleeping in the same cat bed with Tucker (our 2 new kitties).  If we're both home, we close off the computer room and their bedroom, thus forcing Sam to be out and about.  Oh, and I also taped up the underside of a lounge chair where he found a hidey hole.  We'll open their bedroom door after a couple of hours in case he has to go to the bathroom, then he gets shooed out and the door closed again.  He's getting braver about walking around the house, just not about letting us touch him outside his safe zone . . . unless there's canned food involved and he's suddenly able to overcome his skittishness for that treat. 

Sam (L), Tucker the Terrorist (R)

May be an image of cat and indoor

QOTD: I saw an opossum this morning, does that count?  There's timberland owned in this area by Green Diamond.  For years, they gave out passes for people to run on what's known as the McKay Tract.  A few years ago, they sold some of their land to the City of Eureka for the city to build its own community forest trail system (which is a work in progress).  Last year, Green Diamond stopped giving out passes because they want to discourage people from using their property.  It sucks because it was a really great place to run - lots of old, overgrown logging roads and one really well-maintained 6-mile main dirt road that was good for just getting a run done.  Whenever I ran there, I would see wildlife in a regular basis.  Came across bear a number of times, deer, bobcats.  A lot of people still trespass on the property, but I don't feel right doing that, so no more running out there.  

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

we were hovering in the -25F windchill range yesterday so I strength trained and then 4 miles on the dread mill; today we're supposed to be in the mid teens by this afternoon- if so Tiny Elvis and I will hit the trails- DEFINITELY will bring snowshoes this time! 

fatozzig- sorry to hear about losing a place to run, always a bad thing 

qotd: have been seeing a lot of deer; always feel sorry for them this time of year- super cold and then on top of it they have to paw down to get any browse- the deer life in Montana is a rough one!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

QOTD: Nothing unusual. We did see a blue heron the other day down in the hollow by the pond on the local trail. New Year's day we saw a deer loping away in the distance on our run in GA. It was sort of cool as the deer was 100 foot or so below us bounding down the hill sort of far away and mostly all you saw was the white tail.

LB2 - Seems you have turkey on your mind already!

I do. I am currently planning our trip to Nebraska in May. I have been completely consumed with my BaseMap App and overlaying it with Google Earth for street views around public access areas and WMA's. Also, looking at going back to Alabama in late March. And I am keeping an eye on these birds around here. I only need one to be happy, but I hope I don't have to wait until May.

LB2

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

8 miles run-walk at a hard effort

QOTD:  Over the last few weeks I've seen several deer on the University campus, some flickers and a great blue heron at the park.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Sandy-2

I'm going to do some core/back stull and then head out to do 5mi.  Nothing special.

qotd: Nothing out of the ordinary lately.  A while back I did see a dead hog laying by the side of the hike/bike trail near a road intersection, obviously it had been hit by a vehicle.  The thing was huge, probably left a pretty big dent, unless it was hit by a monster pickup truck (we have lots of them down here).

tbd.

LB2

qotd: Nothing out of the ordinary lately.  A while back I did see a dead hog laying by the side of the hike/bike trail near a road intersection, obviously it had been hit by a vehicle.  The thing was huge, probably left a pretty big dent, unless it was hit by a monster pickup truck (we have lots of them down here).

My neighbor shot one last week and gave me a ham and a front quarter. I spent most of the day Tuesday mixing it with deer meat and grinding it into sausage between emails and zoom calls. What a day!! I just made a spaghetti sauce with it, and my kids are devouring it. If they knew it was deer and wild pig, they might not have eaten it. It is very good, though.

LB2

5.4 miles with intervals.

Fatozzig, cute that the cats were snuggling.

LB, giving new meaning to the notion that we don't want to know how the sausage is made.

QOTD: There's always some wildlife in my house, between three parrots, but nothing much outside.  There was a lagoon full of birds at Crissy Field in SF when I did my 6 hour run last Friday, and that was pretty cool to watch while running in circles.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR