Trailer Trash

Jammin' Fridaily (Read 13 times)

XtremeTaper

No run yet today. Just the usual walk with the dogs. Will run later, trail TBD. Warmer rainy weather has ended now a cold front is blowing in.

QOTD: RIP Jeff Beck. Freeway Jam. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MMye6isvLY

What a ripping song. Beep beep. Traffic stories are never good but perhaps looking back you've had an interesting one.

Ok, funny one. Relates to this song. 10 years or so ago, heading down south on I-81, early Saturday morning, not a holiday, workday or anything like that. I was listening to Deep Tracks on the satellite radio as the missus was on/off snoozing. Just passed Winchester VA, a pretty rural place. Traffic comes to a screeching halt and Freeway Jam kicked on the radio. There was no wreck, no construction I could see, just a stoppage of traffic down to a crawl. Freeway jam played on, the crawl continued. The song ended and about that time the road opened up again and we moved at a normal speed. The DJ came on and said "well if you happen to be stuck in traffic, consider it a cosmic co-incidence". Another, the gods, they must be crazy moment.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

No run yet today. Today is supposed to be a rest day, but I have been running almost every day. I'll get something later today when I am finished with meetings.

Xtreme: Sad about Jeff Beck.

QOTD: I don't really have any traffic stories that relate to music, but I remember the awesomeness of listening to The Wild Feathers' self-titled album on the way to the Mt. Cheaha 50K in 2014. That was a great road trip.

Another road story was something that still haunts me from time to time 8 years later. We were coming back from a New Mexico hunting trip and rolled through Houston at about 2AM on a Sunday morning. We rolled up on a wreck that was the worst scene I have ever witnessed in my life, literally body parts on the highway. We got there the same time as the police, barely missed being in the wreck.

LB2

Nothing to day except some easy core and balance stuff after work.  I'm trying to figure out the optimum time to run this weekend, given it's supposed to be heavy rain most of the time.

QOTD: Years ago when we were first married, I made a left-hand turn in front of a woman who was coming up a short hill.  I simply didn't see her.  She was really nice and nobody got hurt.  Our beat up pickup got the worst of it.

My mom and brother, however, were in a really bad accident the summer of 1980.  He had driven her to a doctor's appointment, and they were driving home down the highway and where Hwy 46 meets 101, a guy stopped at the intersection (now a stoplight) then pulled out in front of my brother.  My brother and mom were in a VW bug.  He had to choose between hitting the guy in the car or a motorhome coming toward them in the opposite direction.  These were the days before seatbelts were required/used regularly.  He hit the car and ended up going through the windshield.  On impact, the passenger door buckled and my mom, who was bent over looking at her foot (the reason for the dr appt) hit the dash face first, then fell out of the car and slammed the back of her head on the pavement.  My brother, who had the wherewithal to remember the gas tank was in the front of the car, pulled his head back through the windshield.  He ended up basically cutting off his ear (which was reattached).  Thankfully, he had been lifting weights, etc., to get ready for football, so his upper body was strong.  The steering wheel went from parallel to horizontal and he had an imprint of it on his chest.

Two days later, when my dad and I went to retrieve them from the hospital, my brother was nowhere to be found.  He knew he was getting released, so his 2 best friends showed up and took him out of the hospital without anyone knowing and still in his hospital PJs.  No parents or medical staff were amused. 

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

runtraildc

Happy Friday folks. I did not run yesterday as I said I would. As the day went on, I just felt really tired and run down, almost as if I was coming down with something. Good news is that a full night's sleep and rest has done wonders. I'm heading out for 5 with a friend shortly. We're going slow so Chowder may join us.

EDIT: ended up with 4.5 miles, without Chowder.

XT-- Chowder caught canine flu at the boarder's during the holidays. Then developed pneumonia. Scary as he got really sick, and he's healthy! We had a follow up with the vet yesterday-- one of their patients died.

qotd: A few years ago we were returning from the beach and an accident was being cleared up at a major intersection. Best guess is this small car tried to cross the busy freeway and didn't make it.  By the time we passed, this car had a white sheet over the driver's door and the police were standing around, presumably waiting for the ambulance/funeral home transport.

Last fall on our drive in Maine, traffic came to a screeching halt. police/fire trucks and ambulance speed past. We can see a lot of smoke past the hilltop. Never found out what happened. We eventually turned around and they had the road closed.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

A nice 4 miles with Tiny Elvis yesterday; strength trained yesterday afternoon.

Will get some miles in later, in the waiting room waiting for DW to finish with her colonoscopy- glad I still have a couple years before I go back in!

qotd: no music, but a fellow game warden (both in our first year of starting) were patrolling for spotlighters on the Tongue River. We were “blacked out”- no lights, brake and tail lights cut with a switch. The only light was a dim light borrowed from the military that used them to maneuver in the dark. When I say dim, I mean really dim- like you should be driving 5 mph tops!  Well Joe (who was driving) said this is a lot better than where we were patrolling the night before- where the gravel road was very windy- this stretch still gravel but fairly straight. 

He was going 30 mph (much too fast).  I said the only bad thing on this stretch would be if there were cattle on the road

BOOM. We came to dead stop, not going through the windshield as we were buckled in. We got out and hit a Black Angus steer and had to dispatch him. Our (his) truck was buckled up bad.  Joe said “what’s the story going to be?”  Being brand new and wanting to keep my job, I said the story is we were patrolling for spotlighters and we hit a cow!

He came to his senses and agreed this was the best course. He got in some minor trouble and the rancher was reimbursed for the cow. 

Needless to say we (including other wardens in the area) drove a lot slower when using our black out lights!

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Today was a SRD, but my running bud asked if I wanted to walk in the park again.  So I drive to the park instead of my typical circuitous route, walked 4 or 5 miles and then drive home.

qotd: the first thing that comes to mind was about 45ish years ago when I drove up to my DW's college (DW was my GF at the time).  It was about a 7 hour drive each way, no traffic but half of it was on windy upstate NY roads.  This particular trip her younger sister (she was probably about 10 or 11 at the time) came with me. After the trip she said she had a great time, but did have one major complaint. . . . she hated the music I played in the car, especially the Grateful Dead. 

tbd.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Still scoping out my trail route for the Hash run I am hosting Sunday....so Jack and I walked 3.2 and then I ran  5.8. Skiiing tomorrow.

qotd:  geez some grizzly  stories! Well my first thought was running in the Baja in Mexico ...I was pass where the road turned to gravel and I was listening to tunes...I was nearing my turn around point in the middle of the desert on the "highway" where I hadn't seen a car in quite awhile when Jimmy Buffett's song Kick It In Second Wind came on.   I thought it was so perfect I started dancing....only to have a cop out of no where pull up to me and ask if I was alright.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

qotd:  geez some grizzly  stories! Well my first thought was running in the Baja in Mexico ...I was pass where the road turned to gravel and I was listening to tunes...I was nearing my turn around point in the middle of the desert on the "highway" where I hadn't seen a car in quite awhile when Jimmy Buffett's song Kick It In Second Wind came on.   I thought it was so perfect I started dancing....only to have a cop out of no where pull up to me and ask if I was alright.

LOL. That is what would happen to me.

LB2