Trailer Trash

Hey where is the Thursdaily? (Read 33 times)

Sandy-2

You guys must all be sleeping in today.  I got up and did 5 miles in a different park this morning.  Since you asked, here are a few photos:

This is a fun game I call "name that ruin"

Ran by this cute little chapel yesterday:

I managed to find a little dirt this morning (Villa Ada Park):

tbd.

Daydreamer1

Yep, slept in until a little after 10. Worked late last night so I didn't get to bed until about 2:30 this morning.  I wanted to do a 10+ mile run today but we sold DD's old car and the buyer wants to do the tag and title work this afternoon so that may throw a wrench in my plans. Maybe I'll end up doing a night run.

QOTD: Do you know any good treatments for Insomnia and have you ever had that problem?  I've had the problem in the past but mostly when working very irregular shifts. Right now my schedule is fairly regular but for some reason I can't fall asleep until at least 2 in the morning and recently it's been more like 3-4 until I feel tired.  I don't like using sleep aids because of the side effects.

muppy

6.3 road miles yesterday, had trouble breathing but was just glad to be out running!

QOTD I've been going through this for a while, I just tell myself when my body is tired it will sleep.   I just figured it's part of getting old. If you come up with an answer let me know!

LB2

I will try to do 7 after work today. I am actually having to force myself to scale back my runs a little to keep my "off season anti burnout" mileage where it needs to be. I am itching to amp it up right now.

QOTD: Actually, I rarely deal with insomnia, but strangely, I did last night and just waited it out. However, my normal routine for insomnia is simple:

1.5 shots of Wild Turkey and a splash of water.

This works like a charm for me, and I will sleep like a baby.

LB2

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Heading out into alternating snow showers and almost-sunshine. Might just go up and down the mountain, or a 13-miler that always punishes me when I'm not in top shape. I'll see which route to take after the first 3.5 miles, hoping I won't overestimate my abilities again. 

Sandy: Sounds like a fun game, plenty of ruins around in Rome.

DD1: Hope you'll get in a few miles.

Muppy: Some days are just like that. Still worth putting in the effort.

QOTD: I had that problem that I had to "learn" how to fall and stay asleep again after the kids had outgrown their restless nights, allowing me to get more than just 1.5 hours of sleep at a time again.

I did some progressive relaxation techniques: tightening specific muscle groups for a few seconds (8-10), then consciously relaxing them, starting at your jaw, then neck, shoulders, arms, working down your whole body to your feet. That works fairly well for me.

At times, I have to fall asleep with the lights on, as crazy as this sounds. I have had this since my time in college, and I call it my home-made "light therapy". Drives DH crazy, though, so I am usually banned to the couch when I do this.

At other times, I need to stay away from screens for about two hours before hitting the sack, otherwise I won't ever get tired.

And I need to tell myself that I'm "allowed" to relax and sleep - seems to be a de-stressing thing.

Often, it's just trying out different things until I find something that works.

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

DW and I had nice 8 mile run with light snow falling on snow covered logging roads.

Thanks for all the replies yesterday to QOTD.  Looks like we'll have a nice list to grow as people add their favorite trails.

Sandy - (1st picture) If that building to the right has a nice dome on it, then it's the Basilica Emilia and your looking at the Roman Forums. (2nd picture) - That qualifies as running in two countries in one day.

QOTD:  I don;t usually have too much trouble, but when I do I'll get up and do something or quietly ready my Kindle (the backlight doesn't bother DW).

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Gator eye

Got 6 in this morning, I sure wish it would warm up a little.

QOTD; I battle this problem all the time, wine works better than any over the counter meds.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Doing the lunchtime 5 again.  Really enjoyed my run yesterday..it was a little cooler and I had some good Led Zeppelin playing in my ears.

QOTD:  I have been seriously having insomnia for   Quite awhile due to personal issues and I can't seem to turn the brain off when I go to bed. Like Muppy I just wait it out and figure when the body is tired I will be able to sleep.  I figure at least my body is relaxing.  Like Burke I also sip a little sip of something(or smoke a little smoke) but that only helps for the first few hours than I am awake again.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

I've been using some Melatonin which works OK some nights but seems to leave me feeling a little down and blah the next day. Sometimes a glass of wine works other times it doesn't. I've been wondering if the cloudy winter we've had has something to do with it.  I read that some older football players used Magnesium so they could sleep a good 10 hours a night. I may try that.

XtremeTaper

Feeling a bit crudlike today with stuffed up head and some mild congestion. Might take the day off from running, though I am starting to lean towards a short icy dog jog in the woods after work. We'll see. Mileage is good so far this week and would like to keep it up but maybe I should nap instead.

QOTD: I rarely have issues falling asleep. Clean, good, healthy living here. Or maybe it's my routine of 2-3 craft beers in the evening.

Queenie: Zeppelin... "In the Light" is still my favorite song of theirs... it's my Laurel Highlands theme song. Listened to it intensely before my first 70 mile race at Laurel Highlands... "Just believe, and you can't go wrong!"..

In dog beers, I've only had one.

moonlightrunner

Doing the lunchtime 5 again.  Really enjoyed my run yesterday..it was a little cooler and I had some good Led Zeppelin playing in my ears.

QOTD:  I have been seriously having insomnia for   Quite awhile due to personal issues and I can't seem to turn the brain off when I go to bed. Like Muppy I just wait it out and figure when the body is tired I will be able to sleep.  I figure at least my body is relaxing.  Like Burke I also sip a little sip of something(or smoke a little smoke) but that only helps for the first few hours than I am awake again.

I highly recommend a little Dark side Of the Moon. Always relaxes me...memories of more relaxing times of my life. Goes nice with a side of Zep

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Time for new shoes. I yanked out 9 miles and afterwards, I had some hotspots on my heels. That might spell a bit of trouble in a 100- miler...

DD1: I tried melatonin several years ago, an it worked great the first two times. Then it started to give me nightmares, which would eventually turn into the scariest, most vivid nightmares I have ever had in my life. So that put an end to this "sleep aid". I am just not made for pharmaceuticals, I guess, even if they are supposed to be "natural". I rather stick with a glass of hot mulled wine, or a beer, that works well without the side effects.

Moonloght, Queen, XT: I agree, Led Zeppelin helps through almost any situation in life. I like the Dark Side of the Moon.

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

nice (but cool) 6-ish mile run in the snow this evening; I love running in a couple of inches of snow, it's quiet, cushioned and if you tumble it's usually gentler Smile

qotd: I usually sleep like a baby, but am up pretty early- seems I've lost the ability to sleep in, much to the chagrin of my DW 

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Watoni

Nice lunch ride into the mountains. For some reason all that stand up paddle boarding messed with my Achilles and now I am trying to take it easy for a few days on the running. Not a bad idea given I am also on antibiotics for a relapse of bronchitis. I did hit my favorite hill a little, of course Wink

QOTD: Other than booze or sex, not really

hog4life

Wednesday was an awesome 10 miles in 1-3 inches of snow, and today was just 3 miles in about 10 inches, or what was left of it. It warmed up considerably today, so it was melting fast.

I like any and all Zeplin, best group ever!

QOTD, no not me, I can sleep anywhere, and never have trouble falling asleep. I use Tylenol PM for when I sleep during the day, and it doesn't give me any side effects. My wife however, is a different story, she has the worst insomnia ever.