Trailer Trash

Chainsaw Saturday (Read 34 times)

NorthernHarrier

Wow, I check in once in awhile and nothing is happening around these parts. Too damn quiet!  Busy, active peeps I hope.  Anyway, I am pretty excited as my new chainsaw that I ordered just arrived. Can't have enough destructive toys (it's a guy thing). Want to go try it out on a neighbors trees since they're not home and their asses anyway....

Did an intense run yesterday at Blue Mounds, felt strong. Today I just went out and did 4 easy miles in the Arb--not so strong today. Will be headed out shortly for a road bike with DD.

QOTD--What are you doing today?

muppy

I plan on about 5 after work

Northern, what chain saw did you get, I love chain saws too!

QOTD I saw a hot air balloon this morning that was a giant panda, and the basket where the people were made it look like the panda was pooping! (I'm proud to be immature!)  I'm working, then running, the doing something with the GF.

AT-runner

Tim

DW and I had a nice long run on a section of the AT that I hadn't been on in a few years.  Saw a lot of Section-hikers but no Thru-hikers.  Beautiful weather here today.

Nice Church building at Camp Penn, right off the AT trail head at Old Forge.

NH - I need a new chain saw, what did you get?

QOTD:  Going to a local winery with a group of friends to see a Beatles cover band called "Crossing Abbey Road".  Then back to our property for a fire in the fire pit.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

sugnim

I got in a nice 10 miles with 2,000 ft elevation gain & loss in the Rattlesnake Recreation Area.  I took a new trail today to check out some old buildings that a guy named Joseph Curry built up there in the late 1800's.  Pics are below.

Northern: I'm jealous of your chainsaw.  I've sawed 2 trees that fell at our house, one 3 trunked Mountain Ash tree and one Elm Tree, both with a folding pruning saw.  Needless to say, that was a lot of work.

I'm not sure what the purpose of this building was, but it is pretty small and has just a single room with a slanted roof.  There sure is a lot of knapweed growing around it.

This building was dug into the side of a hill.  You can see how narrow the entry way is by sizing it up with my dog.  There were 3 doors to get in.  Both my dog & I were too chicken to explore the inside.

This is the previous building, and from this angle, you can see how it was built into the hillside.

This is part of a huge, multi-roomed building that is completely collapsed and decaying.  I bet it was impressive when it was first built.

This is me being a dork with a hawk feather I found.

Daydreamer1

Just crawled out of bed about a hour ago after working a 24 hour shift. Went to the local produce farmer and got a cantaloupe. The thing is almost a big as a big watermelon. They told me that the hot, humid weather has been making them this way. The bad news is that they all ripened very fast and my be over pretty soon. Normally they have some until mid Sept but I guess not this year so I'll just have to do without.

Planning about 8 miles after the Temp drops a little.

Harrier - Isn't it always exciting to get new power tools? I need to get my Stihl  out and cut up some wood. I had a couple of trees that fell down. The neighbor burns wood and he would gladly cut them up and haul them away but it's more fun if I do the cutting!!!

Muppy - Hot air balloon looking like a pooping panda?? Cool. Wish I could have seen that.

AT - Nice picture. Looks like a nice place to plop down on the grass and take an extended break. I like my Stihl chain saw, and for that matter my weedwacker too. They seem durable, are reasonably priced, I think most if not all of them are made in the USA, and there are plenty of dealers around if you need service.

Sugnim - Nice pics. I love exploring old buildings like that.

QOTD: Just some chores around the house then a run.

Happy weekend.  I did 16 today, some road & some trail, on the HMB marathon course.  The race is in September so my RC hosted a course tour / training run today.  I'm not doing the marathon but the training runs are fun.  Beautiful day here -- might get into the 70s.

I have to say that I'm neutral about chain saw and don't even know if we have one.  But a panda hot air balloon that's pooping, now that's something I can get into.

Nice pics everyone.

QOTD:  Home and garden chores today.  Not involving a chain saw.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

jonferg67

Endless trails

Afternoon, trashers.

NH-I think people are losing interest, or maybe it's bc it's summer-who know's.

I got 15.5 in this morning, perfect weather out in the woods. I did not see a single

person during my entire run, 2 million people come to Cape Cod in the summer

but apparently none of them are running the trails. Fine by me. I'm having some

leg issues, I think I'm now in desperate need of a chiropractor.

Thanks for posting the cool pics, AT and sug.

QOTD: Well, I ran isn't that enough? I came home, showered, ate and started packing.

Moving day in 2 weeks.  

Brian Runner

20 miles (4 hours) on the trails today. Felt unusually strong the whole day. I might have kept going, but my running partner had seen enough for the day and so I too decided to pack it in.

moonlightrunner

It been a busy day so far. Babysat, made the kids some goulash, gardened, cooked up some beets. I'm now waiting for it to get late enough to take my leashless dog out on the trail for an easy 4. I guess I'll do some boring housework

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

DigDug2

7.6 this a.m. early, then running around doing family stuff.  Tracking the Leadville 100 as well, both the leaders and our forumites.

NorthernHarrier

Northern, what chain saw did you get, I love chain saws too!

I picked up a Husqvarna 450 18" . I have an old Jonesred that is at the end of the line I think. Without the boring details I broke a part on it and then on my way thru Marquette Mi. the other day I stopped at a dealer who actually cannibalized one they had in the back for the part I needed. So now I'm thinking I rock, I can fix anything, and I just scored a lucky find. Right. I install the new part and it breaks within 2 minutes of running. So if I replace the part again am I just fixing the symptoms and not the root of the troubles?  And how much money and effort do you put into a unit that has a ton of hours on it? So I'll sit on it and ponder for a bit.

Another story--my first chainsaw was a 20" Homelite. I was working in the woods one day doing a lot of cutting, loading, etc. When I was done using the saw I placed it on the trail so I would see it and not forget it when I was finished with all my other work. Sheer brilliance! When I was done with everything I jumped in my truck(large 4wd) and promptly backed up right over it. A $300.00 oops! Crushed it like a bug. Embarrassed

Sugnim--I love checking out those kind of old buildings. Very cool!   And you must have arms like Popeye to cut up those trees with a saw like that. Awesome.

runtraildc

Evening! Got in 3 miles this am along Lake Superior with little DS.  Felt good to shake out the legs after a week of hiking and sleeping on the ground. Had a great few days on isle royale.  Now back in the cities getting ready to return east.

qotd: see above.  Lots of travel

Daydreamer1

I picked up a Husqvarna 450 18" . I have an old Jonesred that is at the end of the line I think. Without the boring details I broke a part on it and then on my way thru Marquette Mi. the other day I stopped at a dealer who actually cannibalized one they had in the back for the part I needed. So now I'm thinking I rock, I can fix anything, and I just scored a lucky find. Right. I install the new part and it breaks within 2 minutes of running. So if I replace the part again am I just fixing the symptoms and not the root of the troubles?  And how much money and effort do you put into a unit that has a ton of hours on it? So I'll sit on it and ponder for a bit.

A lot of the loggers that I know slightly prefer the Husqvarna over the Stihl.  When I got my Stihl three years ago I almost went with the Husqvarna but I don't really like the local dealer so that pushed me to the Stihl. I hate to throw anything away so I understand your indecision on the old one. Been there done that. Sometimes I end up just throwing good money after bad. I'm working through an issue with my riding mower right now. It's hard to know when to stop spending money on it.

My Dad still has his first chainsaw, an old Homelite from back in the days when they were all metal. Still runs like a champ and cuts with the best. Still better quality then the new ones.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

a very tough 20 miles this morning (which then turned to early afternoon where it proceed to get hot), elevation gain was in the 5000' -ish range- I soaked my legs in a creek after the run which helped (4 advil didn't hurt either)

went w/ my DW and had prime rib, excellent cuts, cooked to perfection and giant- we brought home probably close to a pound in a box Smile

when I was logging (mid- >late 70's) I ran a lot of saws, but once I got into the Husky line-that's all I ran, the balance (and power for weight) was better than any other saws on the market- of course that was a long (long) time ago Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Went to the Mountain to run 17 miles, realized the spot for my friends hubby to pick us up was actually 15 miles.  So was feelling good, an easy day, the trail was cool, reminded me of Michigan a bit...until I hit the dirt road...there is not suppose to be a road alone this part of the Rim trail.  Pull out map, whoops we are off the trail.  That was a 6 mile mistake (3 out and back) but proceed to get back and ended up running 21 miles.

Northern:  Some are running Leadville 100 and others Marquette 50K (the 50 milers I am talking about dropped to 50K)  Micheal ran his first 50K.

I saw an old building, but I am going to share this picture instead.  Sorry it's Earl..i love that dog....and those ears!

Here's another one...dam I think Earl's ear is in it too..

A bit rocky

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄