Trailer Trash

Last Sunny Saturday (Read 17 times)

19.22 miles at Prairie Creek today.  Took me 5:46:44 - far too long - but the 1200 ft, 2.5 mile climb up to Lady Bird Johnson Grove took me an hour. Lots of steep switchbacks. There's very little of the climb up that's runnable, at least for me, but going down is a ton of fun.  A few miles into my run, I came across a couple who were for foraging for mushrooms.  I stopped and talked to them for a few minutes about it and was wishing I could go foraging with them.  They were very nice and more than willing to impart some of their knowledge to me - although there's no way I'd go out looking for mushrooms without someone who knows what they're looking for.

Anyway, I wish I wasn't so slow.  I have no doubt that my personal 50k run on November 13 is going to take me 8-9 hrs.  

Tomorrow I gotta hammer out 10 more before the rain hits.  It's supposed to start around 11:00 and rain the rest of the day.  Actually, we're expecting some amount of rain most of next week.  Yay!  We need it!!

QOTD: What do you like to eat after a long, hard run?  I'm always jonesing for a burger but rarely get one.  I was regretting today not doing so as I'm still jonesing for one.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

runtraildc

Happy Sunday. Got in about 6 yesterday with the group. downhill on the way out so you know what that means. there's no easy way back from a creek route. My glutes are feeling it today, mostly because of the burpees but the hills just added to things. It also was my first run in over two weeks. 

fatozzig-- one of my neighbors is a mycologist at the FDA.  I've learned a lot from her, but I still don't go out hunting mushrooms.

qotd: a burger sounds good, but I haven't had one of those long hard runs in a while. Though after my HM last month, we did have a big lobster meal. There was a line into the restaurant, but the bar was serving so added a gin & tonic on that. Delicious all ways around.

Fatozzig, that’s a major weekend of running, nice job. At least your 50k has no cutoffs.   I’m ridiculously excited to see rain in the forecast.

Runtrail, your signature and mine look a lot alike. 

Easy 4.5 miles yesterday. Something similar today. 

QOTD: something with protein, like a big glass of chocolate milk.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

AT-runner

Tim

I've had 2 "runs" the past 2 days. Yesterday did .25 walk .25 run for 3 miles on trails. Today DW did an AT run walk for 4.5 miles. Trail is hard with not being able to feel my feet like I should. Had a few trips but it's a beginning.

Jamie DNF'd the Oil Creek 100.  He was 20 minutes past the 60 mile cut off time.  They had heavy rain and had a 50k and a 100k at the same time on a 30 mile loop course with 5800' per loop. He said mud was terrible and his 2nd loop was a slog. He had COVID 2 months ago, and I'm sure that really zapped his training.

QOTD:  chocolate milk for me as well. Last year during the GVRAT, I really got into Cuban sandwiches after long runs.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

Two days with cool temps in the morning.  Sat I did 12 mi, it was supposed to be more but I got distracted helping my friend rescue a dog.  I had seen the dog on the causeway in a strange place and position, but kept running.  I was doing an out-n-back and would be back in 25 minutes or so and figured I’d see what was up with it then.  When I got back the dog was in the same spot and position, my friend was there so I stopped, she had called her husband to come get the poor pup. The pup was really malnourished and skinny, you could see her ribs and vertebrae, but she was also gentle and sweet.  She’s with my friend still and doing well, they’re taking her in to scan for a chip tomorrow. Best case would be there’s a family who have been looking for her for weeks, worst case would be she has only been lost for a day (my friend will keep if that’s the case). Here’s a photo on the causeway in that weird position.

Today I did 16 miles, it was a nice 56 deg, it was glorious.

qotd: yeah, I like beef - a burger or a ribeye steak will do.

tbd.

Poor pup!  Thank goodness people like you, Sandy, and your friend noticed.

Rain, sweet rain, has been here since around 12:00.  Yippee! And I got my run done in enough time.  10 miles . . . on pavement.  I hate pavement, but I wasn't up for slogging it out on another trail and there's nothing really flat enough around here that I'm aware of that wouldn't have required lots of loops to get the miles in.

The one place I used to go to - the McKay Tract, which is owned by a lumber company - up until last year they gave out permits for use of their property.  It was a fantastic place to run  lots of abandon logging road offshoots for miles and miles and a 5-mile fairly benign logging road that's in good condition and was a good place to just get the miles in.  The City bought some of the Company's property a few years back with the intent of building a community forest, ala the Arcata Community Forest.  Covid kind of put a kibosh on starting the building of trails last year, but the Company is no longer giving out use permits for their property as they are trying to discourage people from going there.  It's very easy to trespass, which is basically what 99% of the people who use it do, but I don't feel right.  I worked for a number of years with the head of security in getting our local runners passes to use it legally, so suffice to say I would feel like crap if he caught me out there trespassing.

Okay, off to get some transcription done.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dhuffman63

Trails

Around here trespassing is a good way to get shot.  Down south of us around Jay, OK is some really scary meth and god know what else places.

If people just abandoned that dog I hope some day Karma catches up to them and they are abandoned to starve to death.  I really, really hate people who abuse animals, small children and old people.  There's a special place in hell for them.