Trailer Trash

wild Weather Weekender (Read 16 times)

runtraildc

22 degrees and breezy this morning for 5 miles with the group. One of my favorites-- although on the car-less roads of Rock Creek. Good hills, but overall felt like a slog. Legs were cold and stiff. Even Chowder seemed tired at the end.  Tomorrow there is a forecast for snow, ice and rain coming in the afternoon so I'll need to get out early.

qotd: Any good shows or books lately? I was watching part of an episode of 'The Americans' with DS and I think I need to start at the beginning. Looked very interesting. I was also watching (or rewatching) episodes of 'Hinterland' on my library subscription. Still really good the second time around.

Sandy-2

Got up early (like LB2 early) and was running in a light rain at 4am this morning. I was doing 20 miles and needed to be home to watch a live streaming of our twin nieces’ b'not mitzvah. It was very nice, but of course we would have preferred to be there in PA but what can you do (we decided not to travel due to the sucky surge).

The run went well, started out mid 60s rain and calm but then it kept cooling down got windy and by the end it was mid 40s.  It’ll keep cooling off and be about 30 by tomorrow morning.

qotd: We watched the next season of Shetland and then an older film “No Direction Home: Bob Dylan”, both great. The Dylan thing had a lot of footage of when in the mid-60s he switched from acoustic to electric - the masses sure hated that!!!

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Backcountry skiing yesterday- 10 pretty tough miles, three slides across the trails- things you don't want to see on the trail!

4 miles with DW and Tiny Elvis- what was 10-12" of snow on the trails is now very (very) packed snow or ice, don't leave home w/o your spikes!

qotd: watched the movie Tenet, if you liked Inception, you'll like Tenet; rewatching the Sopranos from the beginning- has been about 15 years since watching it

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NorthernHarrier

Greetings peeps--wild weather indeed. Camping on the Florida coast at Flagler Beach and after a beautiful day we now have gale warnings. One more day here and then to the other side on the gulf for a few weeks. We have been able to whale watch right from our campsite which is pretty cool.  Found two different trail systems real close and I'd say they were great trails anywhere but by Florida standards they're incredible so that's been pretty cool. Today was just 4.5 in there as it was Saturday and there was a lot of activity in there.

A few days ago we visited a state park called Blue Springs and it was amazing--within the spring there were at least 200 manatees as they travel in from the river to hang out and rest with the stable temps the springs provide. It was amazing to watch them in such a beautiful setting. Put that place on a must see list if you're heading to Florida ever. Truly a wonder of nature.

yesterdays qotd's

1--started on roads over 40 years ago and while I'll always choose trails over roads I really don't mind roads(the right roads). Where I live roads are a fact of life over the winter. They do actually plow this paved bike path near me and that's pretty sweet for blacktop as it rolls and curves along.

2-- have not belonged to a gym or club in at least 25 years. Have all the equipment I need in my man cave with a weight/gym type machine, free weights, elliptical, concept 2 rower, etc. If I had a lap pool I'd have it made. 

Today--watching nothing these days except streaming Badger basketball as needed. My little camper doesn't have a large flat screen like some of these 350k rigs parked around me.

Anyway the beach running around here is quite sucky. Steeper sloping shoreline and sand so soft you sink about 4" every step. Much like down at Sebastion Inlet (for dhuff). Where we'll be for the next 4 weeks on the gulf has world class beaches for running. Can't wait.

2 hrs of hiking, which resulted in 7.35 miles. Although my PF heel is irritated, the hammy did well. Ran the last mile with no negative affect. 

After that, Tucker and I spent a few hours de-catting the extra bedroom and putting it back together. Even went thru a few boxes of crap and have half a kitchen table-full of stuff to donate. Next room -the computer room, but that’s gonna take a lot more stamina.

Friday QOTD 1: I ru on the road at least 2 days a week, since running’s on trails predawn would not endear me to The Hub.

Friday QITD 2: PF is $10 a month, and I had a membership when I needed to use the elliptical to help get back to running. The other 2 large gyms, I believe it’s at least $50 a month.

Today’s QOTD: I’m currently readin “Yellow Bird.” It’s good but is starting to drag. I’m ready to be done with it.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sandy-2

Got up and did the back half of my b2b 20s this weekend. It was 34 deg and pretty windy. Felt warmish going down wind and in the trees protected from the wind, but then cold in the open and running into the wind.  I was a bit tired and stiff from yesterday, but grunted it out - not fast but steady.

NH - nice to hear from you. Looks like you’re enjoying FLA.

tbd.

runtraildc

Got in 5 miles, with some good hills for my Grand Canyon hiking training. It was cold (for here) again, but I needed to get out before the snow started. We've gotten a few inches already and the freezing rain- rain is supposed to start later.

Gatsby-- After I started the 'wild weather' post, I saw the news about the tsunami warning. I hope you got thru it with little damage or excitement.

NH-- Good to hear from you. Don't be a stranger.

qotd: Started watching 'Kim's Convenience' on Netflix last night. Hooked immediately. Very funny sitcom about a korean-canadian family. And very well done.

Beautiful day today until later in the afternoon when the fog started rolling in.   Took baby gates we had borrowed for the kittens back to our neighbors.  Family of 4, and the week after Christmas they call came down with CV.  Went to a family gathering at Christmas where everyone who attended was fully vaccinated, and every one of them ended up with CV.  Erin said it was mostly sinus stuff and just feeling crappy.

Got in 30 min of core/PT exercises, working on keeping the hammies and ATs happy.

We had the tsunami warning here.  I think the tides ended up being a bit higher and some of the sloughs flooded, but nothing major.  Other areas of coastal CA saw higher tide activity.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

runtrailDC, the tsunami warning was mostly much ado about nothing, although since it happened when we were having super high (king) tides, there was possibly some additional flooding in low coastal areas and harbors.  I was en route to Mill Valley for a group run when the warning was announced, and there were tsunami sirens (think air raid sirens) blaring when I arrived, which was a bit freaky. Beaches were closed, but we were going up into the hills so no biggie.

Hey Harrier!  Although Florida is not high on my list of places to visit, that manatee park sounds pretty cool.  Maybe I'd make an exception to see that.

13 yesterday in the Marin Headlands with Trail Sisters and SFRC, and 8 today.

QOTD: I'm still working my way through Bosch on Amazon Prime.  Just finished a detective thriller by my cousin, Robert Dugoni, who is pretty good at that stuff.  Like Michael Connolly and John Grisham.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

XtremeTaper

A couple of very cold 5 milers without Baker (see the daily). First time I brought out the deep freeze layer in a year or more and layered up on the gloves. At least there was no wind.

QOTD: We just finished the last season of Bosch. Good if you are into the genre and we've read most all the Bosch books. Not sure what's next. I think I will finish up Ozark when it comes out this month and then cancel netflix since it keeps going up.

Runtrail - Americans is very good! Might have been 1 slow season in there. The first couple are crazy cliff hangers. Somehow you end up rooting for the Russian spies, or at least I did.

Harrier - Living the life! I will have to check out Blue Springs my next trip to FL. I've been to a lot of the springs in FL. They are amazing places. Rainbow River is our favorite place to Kayak.. the headwaters are amazing. We've snorkeled with the manatees in Crystal River (King's Bay Spring) as well.

In dog beers, I've only had one.