Trailer Trash

Wow it's cold weekend (Read 15 times)

runtraildc

In the 20's this morning for the run. That is frigid in this area.   I was surprised that we had a good sized group. The wind had died down from yesterday so it actually felt slightly balmy. And I could have done with one less layer. Lots of ice, but it'll be gone soon. Not sure about Sunday. Now there's a forecast for freezing rain. Might be a day to jump on the rower.

qotd: I'm at a loss. Any good meals lately? Here, nothing. Absolutely nada. So much has been going on, food has been on the backburner, trying to just get basics on the table. I just ran to the store and found impossible burgers so that's for dinner. I like this brand over the competitors, but I can't find it everywhere.

We're having our usual "cold" winter weather, with 40s at night and 50s during the day.

runtrailDC, sounds like you are recovering well from that bug that's going around.  

Easy 13.5 miles today.  Work has been sort of a bear and my mood has been meh, but a good run on a nice day like today was a great cure.  Doing some chores around the house and yard today, maybe catch some football on the tube.

QOTD: After the food and drink overload of the holidays, we're a little uninspired at the moment when it comes to meals.  Quesadillas, pasta, scrambled eggs and sausages...  Definitely passing on meat for the time being.  The Christmas roast was very good, but after eating beef for three days, I was feeling a little stuffed to the gills.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Nice oceanside pic!  

Our Arctic Blast appears to be over and we're much closer to seasonal temps- highs in the 30's, lows in the teens- much more manageable temps!

4 miles with DW and Tiny Elvis after watching the Montana Bobcats get whipped by North Dakota State.  Sadly the Bobcat's true freshmen phenom quarterback went out with an injury in their very first drive, but ND's running game hurt them very dearly on the other side of the ball.  This is ND's 9th National Championship in eleven years- crazy!

qotd: we had made from scratch buttermilk pancakes (and huckleberry syrup) with pan fried venison steaks & gravy for breakfast, hard to put into words how good this was   DW is making elk pepper steaks tonight, one of my favs!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

Thanks to the vaccine + booster, it was a non-event. Nearly asymptomatic --runny nose, one minor sinus headache over a couple of days, no feelings whatsoever about feeling 'sick'. If I hadn't read a washington post article about the range of symptoms for omicron, I would not have thought to test.  DH had mild cold symptoms, tiredness, DS just tested positive with no symptoms. Little DS had it this past fall while in MN so he tested neg and could go to AZ). Now, funnily enough, I feel a sense of relief...

runtrailDC, sounds like you are recovering well from that bug that's going around.  

10 tough trail miles today.  I ended up having to walk the last 3.5 miles due to tightness and pulling in my left hip/glute/hammy.  My PF is also pretty PO'd.  My heel felt like it was on fire by the time I got done.  I've decided to shut down the running for at least a week while I seen if I can get this under control.   Am trying to get a referral to PT and will try to get in with my sports chiro next week.  In the meantime, my butt will be planted on my stationary bike.

Anyone experience their flat screen TV flicking back and forth between a regular screen to no sound and a black screen? The flickers only last a second or two, but happen more often the longer the TV is on.  I'm wondering if it's trying to die on us.

QOTD: We're in soup and beans mode right now.  The Hub made a really great black bean and pulled pork "chili" last week, and last weekend we made stuff manicotti.  It was delicious.  We get into food funks fairly often.  Sometimes I wish we didn't have to eat. 

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

fatozzig- that doesn't sound good

5 miles for Tiny Elvis this morning on a clear, crisp winter day

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

I got my runs in around the washout weather this weekend, did 20 on Sat morning. A wet soggy run, but felt good. Then had a lazy day.  Sat night was more exciting with tornado warnings going off every half hour between 6pm to 2am.  My DW woke me up when the lightening was going crazy and the rain was relentless said we had to listen for the freight train sound of tornados. 

After staying up half the night fortunately we were fine. I slept in and then did 11 mi this morning. A sluggish run the was muggy and warm, got it done but it wasn’t pretty. After hanging out for a bit I saw on FB that a friend across town got hit by a tornado, but everyone was ok. Went over to help but they were just about done. Some photos;

The house and car were from their neighbor’s house across the street.

qotd: my DW is a great cook so we have a lot of nice stuff to eat.

tbd.

LB2

Sandy: I didn't realize the weather was that bad over there. Glad you were okay.

I ran Sunday morning but did not run Saturday.

QOTD: We haven't eaten anything new lately, but we have certainly been eating well, especially for breakfast. I just love cooking breakfast.

LB2

Sandy-2

Sandy: I didn't realize the weather was that bad over there. Glad you were okay.

Yeah, it was the typical front line between cool northern weather and warm moist stuff from the gulf.  The front was stalled over us for a day and a half and we were supposed to just get dumped on all weekend. I guess we had 2 or 3 inches of rain because thunderstorms were traveling parallel to the front.  Once the sun went down Saturday night it all started spawning circular tornado action and we started getting the warnings.  Finally generating a couple of small tornados in the area at about 1 to 2am. That's when we were up watching the crazy lightening and listening for the "freight train", but we didn't see anything too bad as far as the wind goes.

Turns out the closest tornado was across town from us and over our friend's house.  It's on my "western run" that I usually do and about mile 6 or 7 of my 15 mile loop down by the river where I sometimes see the deer and owls (and the log that might be an alligator), but as the crow flies it's probably about 3 or 4 miles from our house. That's still too close for comfort for me.

tbd.