Trailer Trash

Winter Solstice Wednesdaily (Read 13 times)

XtremeTaper

Time pressed yesterday so it was a lunchtime "run" up at the local trail with Baker. Instead of wandering down the steep hill to hollow where sprogels run flows we opted for multiple loops on rolling arboretum instead. A very nice day for late December... 37, sunny, calm.

Today? Plan for a late afternoon run at the lake. 5 or 6 miles. It should be a nice afternoon but the weather is going severely downhill starting tomorrow.

QOTD: Happy dance, winter is here?! Yay or nay.

Both yay and nay. I am not a huge winter/cold weather fan. If it would stay like it is now, 24-40 that would be ok but the colder stuff is coming. So nay to that, but yay to the daylight hours starting ever so slowly to get longer.

From yesterday...

Fattozig - Heard about that earthquake. Figured it was near you. Glad you are ok.

Gatsby - Love your lights. Very colorful!

Sandy - Um, Heed and Gels is not treating yourself. Ha.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

we never got above 0 yesterday, so got 4 miles in on the dreadmill- it was a good workout (going back and forth between level and 15 every tenth of a mile), but booooring not being out

sadly will be hitting the gym the next couple of days too; we're -27F this morning, windchill is -45 

qotd: this year our winter started in October, so going to have to say nah 

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Another week still before my ankle is reevaluated and see when I can start actually running again instead of power walking. Still wearing the brace and chafing at the restrictions.

Gatsby - were you affected by that earthquake at all?

qotd: Not happy with winter and feel like conditions heading toward single digits. Apparently I'm an anomaly in that I would rather run in 30C temps than 30F temps.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Ugh, picked up a bug when trying to finish up Christmas shopping last weekend.  Feels like another round of bronchitis, but not quite as bad as what I had in October.  Hopefully not Covid, that would really put a damper on Christmas.    So far negative but will keep testing.

Did not feel the Ferndale earthquake, which is a little surprising considering that it was pretty big.

Fatozzig, sounds like it caused you some excitement!

Queen, I'm looking at entering the Mountain Lakes 100 lottery.  Would you recommend the race?  Good experience?  I did another race (Mt. Hood 50) by that RD and thought it was well done.

Yesterday QOTD: I bought myself a new Garmin.  Very happy with it.

QOTD: Our temps don't go below 40s so I can't really complain about that.  I sort of like the shorter days, it's okay to hibernate and not feel the need to do a lot of stuff.  But after a couple months of hibernating, I'll be ready for more daylight.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

runtraildc

Happy Wednesday. I got out for 5 last night, which as planned, included the closed road of Rock Creek. Yeah, I know that doesn't sound as exciting as the trails, but it was nice. We saw one bike and it was then just us.  Considering it's in the middle of DC, once you get into the valley, it's surprisingly dark. Nice stars, too.

Then, we passed this house. It's famous for it's decorations and while hard to see, it wraps around the back yard. It's associated with a church and they start in October with set up.

qotd: Yeah. and on Sunday, heading into what Warden has now. DH and DS drove down to SW MN before the snow hit this morning. We planned our travel right this year (of course, by sheer luck). DH left early to meet DS coming in, DS and I meet them Sunday, once the blizzard is past.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

shoveling snow in -25- now that's refreshing 

Tiny Elvis not overly excited by his holiday costume

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

Warden - Ha, great pic. He looks pissed!

RunTrail - That is some place. Cha-ching!

WCRunner - I am an anomaly like you. Prefer warm weather. Summer weather rarely bothers me.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Tiny Elvis is not amused! 

Gatsby - I've volunteered at Mt Lakes many times.  It's a really well-run race, and since you've done Mt Hood 50, you've done half the course.  The only setback is the weather can be pretty iffy that time of year.  Last year, it rained a lot and was dang cold.  If the weather doesn't bother you, then you should go for it.

I got nuthin' so far today.  Will probably do some core/ST after work.

We keep having little shakers, which is fine 'cause it means pressure is being let off little by little.  The only thing about the shakers is my office is on the 2nd floor of our building, so we feel them a little more up here.  And two of my cats continue to be unamused by it all.  Our old guy keeps heading to under our bed at the slightest "suspicious: noise.

Interestingly, a friend who lives 160 miles north of us just outside Grants Pass felt the earthquake.

QOTD: Our winters are mostly cold and wet -- more wet this year than in so many past years, which is much needed, so I don't mind it.  After a couple of months, though, I'm ready for the warmer stuff.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

LB2

We have been hammered with rain the last two days, so I lifted weights Monday and worked like a psycho yesterday to get ahead on work/work. I got a little sidetracked with work this morning and didn't get to run until lunch. I ran 5. I only need to cover another 59 miles between now and 12/31, and two of those days are 20 milers. I don't think meeting my mileage goals will be hurt by a short run today and no run for the last two days. I had a pretty good streak going, though.

QOTD: Yes. I am happy winter is here, but down here, it isn't always much to it. This year has been cooler than normal. No complaints from me, but Friday, we are supposed to wake up to about 15 degrees and a high of 28. I am concerned that I won't be able to cross the bridge to go test out my new cold weather boots. I don't know the timing of the rain vs. the 15 degrees, but if I can get across that bridge, I plan to put these boots to the test in real woods. If not, I'll goof off behind the house. I did see a gobbler back there a few minutes ago when I was running. They usually show up around here about this time of year, lost of acorns for them here.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Running with the brew crew tonight....we are meeting at a place that serves pizza so I'll be eating there too.  Jack and I did our 3 Mile walk this morning.  It's 18 degrees brrrh. 

Qotd:  yay....longer days and a stop to the rain/snow so only snow is expected. 

Gatsby:  I did run it.  My only 100 so nothing to compare it to.  Like Fatozzigg said you already have run much of the course.  I had also ran the 50 miler so I liked being a bit familiar....it's a lolly  pop so running back in the dark was more comfortable.  I would definitely do it again.  So go for it!!! I camped there next to the road so rolled out of bed and walk to start.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

Did 5 mi this morning. It was in the lower 40s....  so perfect running temp for me. Just did one of my typical loops.

fatozzig: glad to hear you came out ok, when I read about the quake I figured it was somewhere near you.

XT: yeah, I guess Hammer products really necessary items for me at this point.

mt: TE looks like he's thinking "you can't be serious". 

qotd: You guys know me, especially with the warm temps I have to put up with down here.  It's supposed to go down to 18 deg on Friday. Watching TV around here you'd think the end-of-days are on their way. 

tbd.

Thanks for the input on Mountain Lakes.  I'm also looking at Oregon Cascades 100, in Bend, which would be easier to get to but it's a newer race and there's not a lot out there about it.  And it's at the end of August, peak fire season in the West...

runtrailDC, I love that house!

Warden, Tiny E = not impressed

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR