Trailer Trash

Too spring Tuesday (Read 11 times)

runtraildc

Cherry Blossoms are peaking a little early here in DC-MD. I was a little surprised the neighborhood blossoms are just starting. Not that I plan to go to the tidal basin to see them with the millions of sightseers, but maybe an off hour visit is due. As for running, it's the brewery run later in this very fine weather. Last week I did not stick around for a beer, but probably will tonight.

qotd: How are the races in your area? Same/different from pre-covid? A lot of the races here seemed to have returned this spring, but I suspect from the still open registrations, that attendance is way down.  I skipped a free club race last weekend and also last month, just not motivated. And I'm wondering if a lot of runners are forgoing  races. Hard to be in the 'business' right now, and that would be any business, racing or otherwise.

Core/ST after work yesterday.  Today, since it's supposed to be nice, I decided to forego a stat bike ride this a.m. and am going for a power walk at lunch to see how my foot reacts.

QOTD: There are only 2 trail races in our area, which is amazing since we live where there trail systems all over the place, and there's a decent size running club that, with the exception of the 2 trail races, puts on various road races throughout the year.  I don't participate in the road races, but I think they get a decent turnout.  Last year's Grasshopper Peak Redwoods Run had its biggest turnout in the 10 (?) years it's been going on.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

XtremeTaper

Loving the early spring. Chillier later this week but nice now and last week too. It seems some years we hit DST and I am out running after work all bundled up and freezing. Not this year.

A short 5 last night with Baker at the lake. Major case of COMS (creaky old man syndrome) with cranky knees, aching back, etc. Not sure what I did to my back but it was tight and sore yesterday. I did do a bit of digging on Saturday but WTH, just a small hole to investigate and issue with an outdoor water hydrant. So just jogged about, decided to do one of the spin cycle loops instead of my regular route and the jog actually seemed to loosen up the back. Much better today. Probably run out at CW tonight.

QOTD: I have not been racing, but there are races going on and I suspect the crowds are decent but really have no idea. We have this one coming up this weekend. Love the artwork. Almost as good as the year they had the guy running down the train track with earbuds on and a train right behind him.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

The plan is to run after work today.  Crazy lightening, rain, hail, and wind this morning. The drive into the office was an adventure, one of those days when you wish the wipers had an even faster turbo speed.  It'll be sunny and warm by the afternoon.

LB2 - stay safe!!!

qotd: races here are being held.  The one trail running company is still offering 30 minute start windows to spread people out, plus you can do the run either Friday or Saturday.  By the way DD and I had to switch races because she is going to a wedding.  So we're running the earlier Hell's Hill 50 mile.

tbd.

50 minutes easy run this morning before work.  A warm, sun-shiny day, 70 degrees at the moment.  As lovely as it is, I'm really hoping that we get some rain this weekend.  There's a 50-60% chance of precipitation in the forecast.

XT, that's a great race design.  I'd do it just for the tee shirt.

QOTD: Races are happening here like the olden times.  Things are filling up ahead of time, faster than they used to.  One tangential observation is that it's not as easy to find races as it used to be, since several have dropped out of Ultra Signup.  I think there's some discontent with the new owners or fees or something.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Run-walk 2 miles, walk a mile, run-walk 2 miles

QOTD:  I rarely race locally anymore since my choices seem limited to either 5Ks or large races at HM and marathon distances.  Can't really say if there are fewer, but there's plenty to choose from, many still including virtual options.  Most of the fixed time races I track for the RAT Calendar are being held in person this year with a couple notable exceptions, the biggest being North Coast 24.  Last unofficial comment a couple weeks ago was that it probably would not be held.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.