Trailer Trash

Frozen Friday!! (Read 15 times)

LB2

The month of February 2021 will go down as the worst month I have ever had as far as running goes. We have been bombarded with freezing rain, sleet, snow, thunder, rain, etc. It is an absolute mess out there. I hope everyone here made it through all this stuff with no major issues. Fortunately, we never lost power during this episode. I think I ran Monday, but I didn't record anything.

QOTD: If you have bad weather, which is your least hated (favorite?) form of bad weather?

I typically run better when it is cold, so I guess I would say a winter storm. If it is straight snow preceded by sleet, I don't mind it too much, but when you throw in some freezing rain, I don't want any part of that.

LB2

dhuffman63

Trails

qotd: Cold...I absolutely hate the cold.  Right now anything below 70 feels cold to me.  My best 50k was in 90 degrees and sunny.

XtremeTaper

LB2 - Good to hear you have power and no major issues. Phew.

We've had snowpack here since Jan 31, so all month so far. We might make the entire month with snow on the ground. That's unusual for southeast PA as of late, and of course it has to be the year that I don't travel to FL in February. There is some milder temps in the forecast next week so who knows.

Only ran 3 on the roads yesterday for the streak. Got out late in the day after roads were plowed from our snow/sleet/ice mix yesterday. Road looked a bit slick, but it was mostly crunchy ice/slush and fine for my easy jog with the dog. It was spitting snow/sleet again this morning. Nothing much. Just enough to coat the road and cars. Plan for today is weight routine and 4-5 miles. Might just be some more road miles, but maybe I'll drive over to the trail... 362.

QOTD: Never been in a tornado or anything more than a low grade cat1 hurricane so can't speak to those events too much. Back to back heavy Noreasters are my least favorite. I don't mind one, a nice snow, a foot or so, but when they come back to back that is annoying. We have not really had that this year though we have had plenty of back to back storms but only the first one dumped a foot or more of snow. The others have been in the 5-8" category. I think it was 2010, we had two or three back to back that were 20" plus snowfalls. That is a lot around here. I was lucky to get down to FL that year. Shoveling became problematic due to the height of the walls. Plus the trails were unrunnable for weeks on end.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

XT- you'd be right at home in Montana with that driveway

5 mile snowshoe with Tiny Elvis yesterday; a 5 mile loop that takes an hour and 15-ish minutes on clear trails is taking two-ish hours with snowshoes.  If the snow is powder TE stays behind me, if it's firmer and supports his weight- he's way out in front Smile

They wanted me to come in later today (someone had to leave early) so got up at the normal time and went to the gym to strength train.

qotd: least hated- cold with no wind, I'll get icicles in mustache, but other than that if dressed properly I'm good to go; most hated- cold rain, generally the only time I'm out in it is if I'm on a multi-day trip and there is no other choice

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Just thought I'd stop by and play the Moderator roll, since Mandy hasn't been here in a while (and she left me as #2 in charge of the monkey house). Hope everyone is well.

Walked 1.5 miles on TM yesterday.  Have to hold the handles if I go over 3mph, but it's something.  Hopkins moved me to once every 2 weeks for my steroid dump, so I get today off. Yay.  Going to have a real beer tonight to celebrate. I've had maybe 4 beers since this whole CIDP thing started.

I'm moving better and working out too hard.  My lovely Neuro said I cold go back to work in 2 weeks.  I've been working PT for 3.  She wasn't too pleased with me.  I'm seeing patients for 3 hours a day 3 times a week and then doing my paper work and other office duties.  I can look at films and MRI's at home, so I do that there.  So far so good, but that's all the strength I have.  Still have some feet and hand numbness and my left leg gets really sore after any workout, but after rest it calms down.  Numbness may be permanent at this point but it's better than paralysis.

I got dose 2 of vaccine last week, so by next week I should have immunity kicking in.  Had headache and some chills along with a sore arm for about 5 hours and then all good. I still wear my N95 at work.

XT - I remember 2010.  I maxed out on the snowblower's throw ability after one storm.  We had 4" yesterday and then ice. I's rather had the 8" of snow and less ice.

Sandy - thought you'd probably like this.

QOTD: Least hated would be cold with no wind.

QOTD (Mon) - yes I worked 3 hours.

QOTD (Tues) - We's move out west. CO or OR.

QOTD (Wed) - Ireland is still my favorite. Been many times and especially love where my Grandfather came from around Killarney.  I'll go with Gatsby anytime.

QOTD (Thu) - Comedy - any Wes Anderson (Moonrise Kingdom, Life Aquatic, Royal Tanenbaums, etc) or Coen Bros. movies (Fargo, Big Lebowski, Burn after Reading, etc).   Drama - Sgt. York , Dr. Zhivago or Citizen Kane. I like the classics.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NorthernHarrier

Yay for AT.  Sounds like good progress. Enjoy the beers. And yeah, I'll have to get a hold of Mandy to see what's up.

Kinda overachieved yesterday with rowing, skiing, a snowshoe run, and an hour on snowshoes beating down some of my trails on my property so I can have better walkabouts. This morning I'm feeling it. I'll do some weights shortly then a good skiing session and that will be about it today.

XT--that's the kind of snow we usually have.  One has to learn to embrace it. 

Queen- from yesterday. I was down there for a month. 1st week at Destin. 2nd week at Bahia Honda in the Keys, 3rd week at Sebastion Inlet, and 4th week at St. Augustine. Sebastion Inlet is just a couple miles north of Vero Beach. I fond a couple small tropical trail systems real close that were pretty pleasant. And I have to add that the beach running at Anastasia at St. Augustine was the absolute finest I have ever had. Sebastion Inlet was the worst ever. 

QOTD--I despise high wind.

I guess I misread the question, least hated bad weather? hmmm, what's bad? Maybe sunny and 60's.  

Sandy-2

I'll run after work today. 5 mi again.

AT - Very glad to hear that you're making progress. Enjoy that beer!!!! Yeah, Cruz is getting hammer pretty hard down here, as they say. . . "couldn't happen to a nicer guy".

qotd: Let's see. . .  least hated bad weather, I'm with mt, cold with no wind.  I'd take that over cold-windy, cold-rainy, hot-anything.

tbd.

Mornin', Glories - Happy Friday.

Those snow pics - Nope.  Just nope.

Nuthin' for me today.  Although if I get home in time this evening, I may go out to the shed for half an hour of core stuff.

Tomorrow we're going to the beach for agate-hunting, so I'm moving my weekend run to Sunday.  There will be lots of squatting up and down tomorrow, walking in soft sand, etc., so that shouldn't affect Sunday's run too much. . . . Right?  . . . I may have my priorities messed up. 

QOTD: Least hated bad weather? Probably cold.  When you're moving, you can get warmed up. Usually.  If it's hot, you can only strip down so far.  I hate running in cold windy rain.  Bleck!  A number of years back, I ran a 50k in the Headlands outside of San Francisco in those conditions and it was miz-er-a-ble. It was 2 loops.  At the end of the first loop, I got some dry (but not for very long) gloves out of my car and just stood there for a few seconds staring at it, thinking about how nice it would be to climb inside and turn on the heater and go to sleep.

Enjoy ~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

AT thanks for stopping in!  Glad to hear progress is still full steam ahead; I’ll toast you tonight with an IPA Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

4 ish in packed snow...the area is small so lost of loopy doopy which makes me stop when I pass my car.  

Wotd:  slush/sleet is the worst.  

hey I signed up for a real race..Traverse City Trail Festival.  25k  

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄