Trailer Trash

Thawing Out Thursday (Read 16 times)

LB2

We are definitely not thawing out, more like heating up. But that is all I could come up with this morning. I ran a really good 3 miles this morning. I almost skipped the run because I have to head into Baton Rouge this morning. For what I have going on today, I needed a run or a xanax. I'll take the run.

QOTD: What is the coldest and hottest event you have ever run?

I think the coldest was Pinhoti 100 in 2014. We started in the mid 20's, heated up to the high 40's or low 50's. Then, we dipped back into the low 20's that night. It was wonderful. I typically do well in the cold.

I think the hottest was the Bobcat Bait 50 in 2014. We started in the low 80's, and went into the mid to high 90's. That is the race where I was the only finisher. Everyone else dropped to the 50K. I had to finish it because it was my last really long run (about 12 hours) before the 2014 Pinhoti. I think I finished Bobcat Bait in 11 hours, 50 minutes on a 12 hour cutoff. I squeezed almost every minute out of that one. I don't do well in the heat.

LB2

XtremeTaper

It's been a strange week of running for me. 2 miles on Monday at the lake, 3 Tuesday and yesterday on the road in the hood. Tuesday Baker just did not want to run or even walk in the woods. He laid down like he was on strike and when I let him off the leash he started back for the car. I had him checked for lyme last week and he came back normal (he's had it before and tested positive in the past but clear now) so I guess he is just not into the heat or bugs. Well, at least I hope that's it. So Tuesday I came home from the trail and did a short road loop, and the same yesterday as I was time pressed and wanted some sweat and exercise. Funny how 3 miles in 28 minutes seems like speedwork! My legs have one gear now. Slow and plodding.

Today, I will probably go solo out to the trail as it will be hot again. I'll take Baker out this weekend to see how he does.

QOTD: Chilly Cheeks 7 mile winter trail race in January 2007,  0 degrees at the start. That was temperature not wind chill. At the aid stations water cups were frozen but the beer was not so I had a cup of the beer instead. Wore shorts just because my buddy was running it too and we were pretending to be hardcore. Actually shorts were fine for the run, just not the wait at the start.

Hot, a few trail races in the summer of 2005. Double Trouble 30k and Half Wit Half. 95 degrees with HHH (heat, haze, humidity). I think halfwit was tougher. It was a hard enough course but the heat was a crusher. Ran around 2:25, and joked with a girl late in the race that I was planning to run sub 1:30 at the Philadelphia Distance Run a month later so this was not a good sign! Turns out I was in good shape and did pull off a 1:28 in Philly that September. Funny, the race in Philly some forumite could not believe I ran so well as it was so hot that day too... 70 degrees. I just shook my head. Haha.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

4 miles this morning (early) with DW, grandson and Tiny Elvis

qotd: hottest was one year in the Elkhorns- probably got into the 90's; pretty unusual to see those temps at that elevation; btw dnf'd that event due to heat   coldest- not sure, our racing season is typically May through September, so nothing too frigid; non-race I've run in some pretty cold temps 

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

. . . so I guess he is just not into the heat or bugs.

Sometimes our pets are smarter than we are. 

Gatsby makes running in the Philippines sound exciting! 

I have slept awful all week.  Not sure what the issue is, but bleck!  Given that, my energy level has been very low.  I was supposed to work out this morning, but slept in.  I did ride my bike to work (3.60 miles), though, and since I'm on cat feeding detail at 2 different locations for some friends, I'll get in another 7 or so after work.

QOTD: Hottest was either the one I described yesterday or a few years back at Mt. Hood 50/50 when it got over 100. The heat destroyed me, and I missed a cutoff toward the end.  Coldest would also have to be the wettest, which was a 50k in the Marin Headlands one year (can't remember the name of the race).  I have no idea what the temp was, but it was cold and it rained the entire time.  The race was 2 loops.  On the second out, I had to go by my car.  I got dry gloves and a light cover (neither of which stayed dry very long) and stood looking longingly at the inside of my car, wanting nothing more than to crawl in and turn on the heater.  I was DFL on that race, but, doggone it, I finished.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sandy-2

Did 9 mi on the bike this morning. Felt I needed a break from running in the tropical conditions.

qotd: hottest was Western States, I guess it was in the upper 90s in the afternoon, plus some night runs down here in TX where temps hang in the mid 90s for the first half in the runs.  The coldest I remember was in the mid to upper 20s when I did Brazos Bend 100. Not so cold but in a 100 it’s hard to keep moving fast enough to stay warm.

tbd.