Trailer Trash

Wintry Wednesdailies (Read 36 times)

It was 12F for our 5 mile trail run, but felt warmer than yesterday due to the lack of wind. We had a fresh dusting of snow on top of what was already there.  All in all a very nice morning.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

I was thinking this morning on my walk to the subway that it would have been peaceful to run on the dusting of snow we got today.  Instead I will go to the gym during lunch or after work to get a treadmill speed workout in.

LB2

I ran about 4 in the icy, snow-type stuff on the ground. Man, that stuff makes the woods quiet. I like it. We don't get much of it down here. I crossed a creek and never broke the ice, but that was yesterday. I'll do it again today, later. I was looking at my running log today, and the last two weeks have not been what I wanted them to be. I have run very well, but I don't think I have run enough. I have a very difficult 50K coming up on February 22nd. Luckily, it is being treated as a training run to take a look at that section of a 100 mile course on the same trail in November. But, I will probably try to push it a little bit. A good day there will build a great deal of confidence for November just by knowing that section, which is tough.

QOTD: Are their any odd things you believe about your running that you have no scientific evidence to support?

Yes. I believe that I run my best between the waxing gibbous and waning gibbous moons. I look back on races that I have run well, and every single one has been between those times of the moon phase, mostly between the waxing gibbous and the full moon. There may be nothing to it, but I believe it. And since I believe it, I have the confidence and run accordingly.

LB2

sugnim

Hey, we're finally getting some snow!  I had to shovel my way out of the driveway this morning, and it is still coming down.  Nice.  I was getting tired of the frozen, brown landscape.

I got in a super fast (well, fast for me) 5 miles after work yesterday, though I had to loop back by the house to drop off my dog who was lagging.  I'm not sure what her deal was.  She went out super fast, and I had to keep calling her back to me, then she was terribly slow and seemed to barely drag herself along.  Poor strategy, Pooch!

QOTD:  Do you run through cemeteries?

I do sometimes.  Yesterday I ran through an old Catholic cemetery.  Many graves there are over 100 years old, and it feels more like a historical landmark than a cemetery to me.  I didn't think that they still buried anyone there, but yesterday I came across a fresh grave where you could see the soil mounded above the burial plot.  It was surprising, and slightly creepy.

Occasional Runner

I did a 6 mile tempo run and it felt really great. My right quad is a little jacked up right now, but it only hurts when I land on that foot, so approximately 50% of the time. I also had a great workout at the gym. I need to spend more time down there.

QOTD: I think I stay injury free because I run on concrete and asphalt so much.

Chnaiur

I'm doing some kind of intervals followed by a light gym session.

QOTD: No, I'm the avatar of rationality, and everything I do is 100% scientific. I also have great self-insight, and my biggest weakness is my humility.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

AT-runner

Tim

Brought my running gear, but looks like I'll be busy over lunch.  I hate my boss...oh shit that's me.

QOTD 1 - I run better on Mt. Dew during long races.  It's the only time I drink it, but I've done it for 12-13 years and it works for me.

QOTD 2 - Yes.  I'll run through the National Cemetery here in Gettysburg, and If I'm travelling and can't find a trail I'll sometimes run through cemeteries.  Found a neat one in Savannah, GA once.  It was very beautiful and creepy at the same time.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

sugnim

Whoops!  I didn't mean to step on your QOTD, LB2.

QOTD 1:  I don't really have any scientific evidence for anything regarding my own running.  I just put on my shoes, and head out where ever I think it might be fun to go, or where ever I have time to go.

Low_O2

Probably a rest day today after putting in 42 miles over the last 4 days. Hard to resist a run when it's so nice outside(sorry all you folks in the deep freeze...)! Maybe a bike ride or hike instead.

Got in a nice 10 mile stroller pushing run last night with the dog. Did 4 x 1 mile repeats in the middle. Tough to do with a dog and stroller, but still fun to run fast once in awhile.

QOTD1: Maybe just the idea that I run better when I run less. Deep down I think it is just my excuse for running lower miles than I think I should.

QOTD2: Nope

Daydreamer1

Just got back in from a nice short 4.5 mile jaunt. Temp was about 16-18 with a 10-15 MPH wind. Once I was warmed up it felt nice. WIsh I would have had the time to go longer but now it's off to work again. I hate these 60+ hour weeks .

QOTD 1: I believe that running in the cold keeps me healthy. The more I'm outside the less I get sick. I think it freezes the damn germs!!!!

QOTD 2: Don't run through any but I regularly run by one. It's a great place to stop and howl at the full moon.

Ultra Cowboy

Plan is to do a fun run tonight with the training group. 4 miles on city streets.

QOTD:

I think running at night makes me a better trail runner because I don't have a clear view of where my feet are landing and I have to "Run like a Jedi".

I also think it helps me learn to run tired after a hard workday.

I also think I recover better by running the day after my long run, and that my gains in fitness last spring were due to incorporating the back to back runs..

WYBMADIITY

Save

Occasional Runner

I also think I recover better by running the day after my long run, and that my gains in fitness last spring were due to incorporating the back to back runs..

I believe this too.

Ultra Cowboy

I also believe in not talking about injuries while on a run.  It puts you in a negative frame of mind and makes you more prone to being injured.  If I talk about a pain it is only to someone capable of diagnosing and fixing the problem.

WYBMADIITY

Save

muppy

7.1 on a few packed inches of snow on the rail trail.

QOTD It's A known fact that my right shoe has to go on first, can't take a chance and upsetting the running Gods!

QOTD Funny you should ask that question, as yesterday I was running around the Indiantown gap area and was told you're not allowed to run through the national military cemetery there, I almost said I was visiting some relatives graves that are there, but I just said sorry and moved along.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Planning to do a few shakeout miles after my 12-hr work day on my feet.

QOTD1: Yes, I have to start running breathing out, not taking a breath in. Doesn't work otherwise.

QTOD2: I don't run across a cemetary, but my usual early morning run leads along one. On the other side of the road, though. I don't give it any thought.

Run for fun.