Trailer Trash

Weathered Wednesday (Read 13 times)

LB2

Started February out right with a nice, easy run of 5 miles in a cold mist. It appears to be a line of ice falling from Austin, TX to Shreveport, LA. It looks like it will be north of us, thankfully. It has been gloomy for days on end down here, though. More storms tomorrow. Spoke at my cousin's funeral yesterday, and it went well. I had some funny stories to tell, and I toiled about whether or not I should do my imitation of his voice, which is a Rich Little quality imitation. I wanted to break the heaviness of the event, and embrace a celebration of a lifetime of fun memories we had. In the end, I left out the voice because I just felt like it wasn't appropriate for the funeral. The imitation is always out of love, and he has heard it himself. But some of the folks there don't know me and how he and I interacted, so I just told the stories, which were well received. I'll miss the old boy, and I wish the last years could have been more pleasant for him.

QOTD: What is the weather usually like in your neck of the woods in February?

Down here, my memory of February is cold and dreary. I have participated in ultras that were early March and late February before, and I always remember running with wet feet in February. And it seems to be looking like that will be the case again. Many times, I have had to cross creeks in waist deep water along a trail we run behind my parents' house. These are trails we made over the years with four wheelers and some game trails that look like really good single track that were made by wild pigs and some deer. But one year, I remember running across a shallow creek on ice. Yes. I did that in SE Louisiana. Sometimes, it gets quite cold.

LB2

XtremeTaper

I ended up with about 6 miles yesterday at the local trail. I was planning just to run about 5 but as I was running loops in the arboretum section some lady was looking for her dog, so I did an extra out/back down to another park down in a hollow to do reconnaissance but no luck finding her dog. I am sure it turned up at home. Her property backed up to the woods. Light snow flurries for the entire run but no accumulation.

The plan is for 4-5 miles mid afternoon at a trail TBD.

QOTD: Ha. Usually I am in FL for most of February but this year not heading down there until the end of the month. It is still winter here but not quite a transition month like March. We could have most anything, 40-50's with rain, sun with a taste of spring, icy cold, or worse yet Noreasters where we can get slammed with snow depending on the temperature gradient. I remember one Feb where we had back to back 25" snowstorms. It was crazy. So far this year looks like a cold weekend but moderate 50's next week with on/off rain meaning grey gloom.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Plan to run later.....either alone or with the group with a beer after.  The group says they have 3 and 5 mike courses but seems everyone runs the 3.  Wish they would group us separate so you can hang with a 5 miler. I usually end up out there alone.  

qotd:  Dipped to cold.  It's been a dreary winter.  Very little snow. I guess more if the same.  

qotd2: 53 walk mikes and 81 run for total of 134

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

I got my run in after work yesterday.  Not an ideal time for me, but that's what happens when you don't get up.

Today, I slept in but will get in a 30 min walk at lunch.  The jury is out on whether or not I'll do core/ST after work.

QOTD: Rain.  Although not a lot the last few years, this year has been more of what things were like when we first moved here.  Temps - nights, usually high 20's, low 30's. Days - Highs in the low to mid 50's. About half an hour inland, though, they'll get snow if it rains.

Ended the month with:

Running - 92.4 miles

Core/ST - 6:04:15

Biking - 2:31:00 (all stationary )

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

LB2

I ended January with 200 miles running, which was exactly what the plan was. Was that the right plan? We'll find out in about a month.

LB2

runtraildc

Got in 4 miles with the brewery group last night, but I really did not want to go as it was dank, damp and cold. However, I pulled up my big girl pants and headed out. It's a .6 mile walk from my house, and it's easier and faster to run to/from rather than drive and park. However, after cooling down and having a beer, it was a tough run back home.

Queen-- our Tuesday group has 3 and 5 mile routes, and we're pretty evenly divided. Now, a couple of us have developed a 4.25 mile option that gets us down into the park. Maybe you can extend the shorter route and recruit? 

qotd: Not bad. it starts to get past the grey and cloudy January. Snow is more likely in February, but early spring blossoms are starting. I have snowdrops blooming now. We did get a dusting of snow last night

Sandy-2

Wet, rainy, dreary and 37 deg when I started this morning.  Did my old 10 mile loop, but it was so dreary the GPS got lost and at one point registered I was at mile 2 for about a half-an-hour or so, and in the end said the 10 mile loop was about 7.5 miles. 

NH and runtail (from yesterday) - I think my evil plan is going to work fine. I did sort of a practice run (without making the final reservation) this morning at 10am eastern and didn't have any issues.

qotd: pretty much the same as LB2.  As I have said in the past, if the wind is out of the south we have tropical conditions, if it's out of the north we can have nice and crisp or cold and damp (usually it's cold and damp like this week). Next weekend is the Rocky 100 miler (me and my DD are volunteering) and the weather for it is going to be great, cool and crisp (temps 32 to 57 deg of course 90% humidity at night as always).

qotd 2: 199.7 miles (LB2 kicked my butt this month.)

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

8 miles (1500') with Tiny Elvis- this is a loop we haven't done for a long time, don't know why either- it's a great loop

qotd: a normal February for us is highs in the mid 30's, lows teens- looking at the 10 day forecast looks to be almost spot on which bodes well for me (and Tiny Elvis)

qotd2: 155 miles (Tiny Elvis 102 )

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NorthernHarrier

Just checking in after a day of taking down and moving back onto the gulf coast. Couple nice trail runs the last couple days but now it will be some fabulous beach runs for the next two weeks before we have to move again.

Sandy, sorry I didn't see your post until just now. -- it's not really an evil plan but just the way the savvy and experieced has to do things. You are on the right track. You guys would laugh if you saw my folder I have just for that stuff. Example is my winter Florida trip--with the plan to be gone 7 weeks or so and only several state parks we like up in this locale along with14 day max stays, and booking starts 11 months out it is chaos thru the booking period. I am overbooked for everything and then start adjusting a few months down the road. Rec dot gov allows you 6 months out-what you're looking at on the calendar are probably not released yet but just marked as unavailable, not all sites are reservable as they allow for walkins/first come, etc. The same applies though as far as being overbooked and adjusting down the road.  Can't remember where I was recently trying to go and it wouldn't let me overbook or wouldn't let me change the arrival date.  I do know that some places receive a lot of complaints that people can't get reservations so some changes to policy happen and then we have to start over to adapt. LOL. FWIW--I have had issues with rec . gov more than once.

At popular places you want your DW on a computer next to you both trying at the same time along with fast internet. Be signed in in advance too. I always view it as a game. 

QOTD- Feb is mostly like Jan in northern Wi. Cold with a to of snow.

QOTD 2-I 'm guessing about 110

Sandy-2

NH, thanks for all the info!!  Ok so I'm not crazy (and evil), that's good to know.  My plan is to 'release' the extra nights as soon as I can so someone else can book them.  I think it'll work out and I'll let you know how it goes in a couple of weeks.

Be signed in in advance too. I always view it as a game. 

And yes, I did create an account and was signed in advance prior to my 'practice run'.  It is like a game, kinda like the old days where you had to sign up for marathons or ultras when they first opened before they sold out.

tbd.