Trailer Trash

Wake up Wednesday (Read 15 times)

runtraildc

Weird being on MST.  More hiking planned today, and we head to the Grand Canyon this afternoon. The forecast is for snow, sub-freezing temps and there is a lot of ice pack on the trails. You do the math....

But, here's the recap of the last few days. Petrified Forest was amazing. We did a bunch of short hikes and I'd like to get back to go into the Petrified Forest Wilderness Area. Yesterday, we stuck around Flagstaff in the morning so we could go out with DH when he finished work. It was also the first day we saw sun! It's been cold and snowing. I managed a slog in a local park, saw bobcat tracks first snow run in a while.  Then in the afternoon, we chased the warmth and went to Sedona. One busy, popular hike to the Birthing Cave and then we found an absolutely fantastic hike off the beaten path. It was only 3 miles (with losing the trail), but before dusk and we only encountered 5 other people (in addition to the family at the trailhead).

qotd: Any new gear? I'm really liking my new Saucony Peregrines (a lot). And we've borrowed my brother's Zoleo satellite tracker. Now, we have to give it back, but it's kinda fun. We borrowed it for the grand canyon, but have tested it out.

LB2

DC: The Saucony Peregrines are some of the best shoes I have ever worn. I haven't had any in quite a few versions, but the ones I had (Peregrine II's) were very good. They look narrow but perform with the perfect amount of room for your toes. At least, that was my experience.

I ran 2.5 miles this morning pretty fast. It felt wonderful. I just haven't really felt like myself lately in the running category, but today was really good. After that, I took a hike of about a mile through the woods where I heard the turkey gobble Sunday morning. I ran across several does and a couple of rack bucks in the food plot inside the high fence enclosure. I watched them for about 20 minutes. I am surprised the bucks still had their antlers. I don't think they will have them much longer, but I can't get into that enclosure to look for sheds.

QOTD: I am pretty stocked up on all gear. I haven't bought anything new in a few months other than shotgun shells, and I can't find much of what I am actually looking for.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Runtrail, nice pics. Cool that you have options between snowy and dry trails. The sky is so blue!

On/off wet snow here at the moment. It was dry this morning when I walked the dogs and felt sort of mild but we have snow none the less. Not sticking so that is good. Looks like it will be this way most of the day.

Yesterday, took Baker out for 5 miles out at the lake on one of our regular routes. Decent run, glad it is staying lighter later now. Trails, mostly in the meadows were an odd mix of soft dirt, not quite mud, just soft and squishy and the horsey people must have been out in the warm days we had earlier this week and rutted it all up with footprints. It was a strange running surface.

Today. Might head out to CW for some hills and better trails.

QOTD: Nothing new here other than a fresh pair of Lone Peaks.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

NorthernHarrier

Still not right health wise with this Omicron or whatever it is. Slooowly getting better so I am still getting some workouts in. We had a massive ice storm roll thru on Saturday so I've been rowing and skiing the last few days. Did run on snowshoes last night for a little over an hour. About to head out to the bike paths with my spikes and see about some miles there. Spent some time yesterday snowshoeing and packing trails down to facilitate tapping trees in a couple days. Tough going as we are still at almost 3' on the ground. Planning to tap 60 this season.

QOTD--Just purchased a couple more raincoats to add to my collection. (DW just shakes her head). And recently got my REI dividend ($240) so I'm waiting for their 20% off sale that closely follows then I may get another sleeping bag.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

runtrail- sounds like a great vacation!

NH- get better soon my friend!

my qotd of the day yesterday was fairly timely as the US did block the import of Russian gas 

5 miles with Tiny Elvis yesterday, brutal conditions  17 degrees with a 20+ mph wind- ouch!

colder today, but less wind which will make it more tolerable, so will get out soon for a few miles

qotd: I ordered a new scope for the rifle I'm bringing to Alaska, but have one to sell that offsets that expense a bit.  I also recently purchased a new spotting scope and a new pair of binoculars- again offset some by the sale of my previous ones.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

dhuffman63

Trails

qotd: Since there is no trails for me anymore I bought a new laptop, a MacBook Pro so I can do some programming classes.  Figured I'd nerd out and learn some Python and SQL.  Still looking for a work from home data analysis job.

Oh and DC I have the Peregrines and love them.  Sometimes I wear them to walk down our gravel drive just cause.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

3 mile walk with Jack and then 3.4 run.  

qotd:  Nothing but plan to get sone hiking poles.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

dhuffman63

Trails

MT, this also validates what you said yesterday:

From Goldman Sachs: US oil production is expected to increase significantly in response to higher prices. However, that rebound in domestic output has so far been slowed in part by a recent focus from oil companies to return cash to shareholders.

Hi Dee Ho -

1.25 hrs of core/ST/PT this morning.  I saw my MAT therapist yesterday, and he identified the "adductor magnus" as very one of the culprits, if not the culprit, in the "hamstring" issues I've been having.  His words: "Your hamstring is rock solid.  There has to be something else going on."  Well . . . in identifying issues, he does pressure point specific work that freaking hurts.  But at least he tells me ahead of time by saying, "This is gonna hurt.  Are you ready?"  Holy mother of pain!  I didn't cry, but boy . . .  Anyway, some new exercises to specifically target that spot, and we'll see how it goes over the next 2 weeks.

When I told him about the pool running vs. elliptical issue, he voiced that he'd rather I went to out and power hiked up and down hills, but if I had to choose one of those, then pool running as the elliptical essentially forces you out of your natural stride.  The idea of the pool or the elliptical is mind-numbing.

QOTD: Nothing new.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance