Trailer Trash

Thursday (Read 13 times)

LB2

Had a rain storm come through last night and cooled things off significantly. Yesterday morning it was 66; this morning it was 51. I ran 5 easy miles then took a short stroll through the woods.

QOTD: What is the predominant forest type in your area?

We have a lot of pines here, mostly loblolly. I prefer longleaf pine forests; those are much more diverse. So we don't get too much color during the fall. However, we also have quite a bit of pin oak, water oak, and white oak.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Probably cashing in my hobby jogger chit today and taking a day off from running as forecast is for rain all day. I reserve the right to get out for a few miles though I sort of doubt it. It was not too bad for the early morning dog walk. 38 or 40 with light rain. We rarely if ever miss a morning dog walk though sometime it's pretty short. The Lady is sort of a 1/2 mile max now. She can go longer but it takes too long before work!

QOTD: I had to google. This best describes my area. We run in a green tunnel in the summer. Often see big patches of mountain laurel in the forests which stays green all year and blooms white in late May, early June. Occasional hemlock thickets can be found as well. Pine forests are not common unless planted. At Nolde Forest, there are huge sections of pines but they were planted by land owner in the 1900's. They are being taken over by hardwoods slowly but surely.

Oak-Hickory Forest

Oak forests dominate the southern two-thirds of the state. Oak forests include red oak-mixed hardwood type on lower slopes where red and white oaks occur mixed with: Tuliptree, Red maple, Hickories

On drier upper slopes and ridge tops throughout the central Pennsylvania, oak forests dominated by white, black, and chestnut oak are common. These forests often have a dense layer of shrubs such as mountain laurel and black huckleberry.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

WC's video link yesterday - Yeeowza! Nothing like getting trampled at the start line of a race.

30 min of biking to nowhere after work yesterday.  Can definitely tell this tush hasn't been on a bike seat for a couple of months.

This morning is was 6 quite chilly predawn miles.  Had planned on 7, but I overslept - which means I actually slept last night!! - so had to cut it short.  At one point on my return, I saw out of the corner of my eye what I initially thought was a black sneaker with a reflective strip on it.  Nope - skunk.  I pretty much skidded to a stop and stayed put for about 30 seconds while it meandered its way across the street.

QOTD: I live in the heart of redwood country - Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

well our planned hike of Trout Creek Canyon didn't happen, DW wanted to hit the slopes instead- we rescheduled for today and then she pulled her back out this morning- maybe she just doesn't want to go 

got a tough (1200' in the first mile) 3 miles in yesterday with Tiny Elvis, strength trained this morning will get a few miles in this afternoon

qotd: close to town we're predominately Ponderosa Pine and Douglas Fir- with a smattering of Aspen thrown in here and there

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

5 mi early this morning, a really nice 48°.  Had to get it done early because we had some delivery guys coming this morning.  We bought new beds and they messed up the frame, so they were coming back today to switch out the frames.

wc, that start video was messed up. 

qotd: piney woods here, basically the same as what LB described. Between the pines and oaks, we also have some really cool shade trees that have branches that spread out really wide. We also have some hanging moss that you think of down in the bayous around New Orleans.

tbd.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

3.2 with the trail group followed by beers and pizza....pretty sure more calories in then out.  Of course 2.5 walk with Jack in am.

wotd: Sugar maple, red maple , hemlock, basswood and yellow birch are the most common trees in Michigan’s northern hardwood (NH) forest. Typical secondary species are beech, black cherry, quaking aspen and white ash. That's from internet....I will add we have a lot of Oak too.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

5.2 easy miles after work.  Skipped running for the past two days because of side effects from the shingles vax.  Shakes, chills, muscle aches, joint pain... worse than the first shot.  But fortunately that's it for shots, I've gotten everything that I can.

QOTS: Interesting question.  We have microclimates around here.  Redwoods in the canyons and coastal mountains.  Oaks, madrone and bay trees on the inland hills.  Eucalyptus... everywhere.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR