Trailer Trash

Happy weekender (Read 8 times)

runtraildc

1. Morning trailers. Yesterday was an unexpected travel day to my mom’s. Her closest sister passed away Thursday night after a medical emergency. Now in balmy MN. Literally— no snow and temps in the 30s with 40s coming in days. Many winter activities (dogsled races, lake hockey tournaments, etc) have been canceled. Decent running weather though 

will head to the local parkrun shortly so a hilly and brisk 5k in order. The little dog and I just got in a short walk last night . Got a closeup sighting of a great horned owl so that was exciting.

qotd. Any good wildlife or other sightings lately. Mine was the owl- so often heard here but rarely seen. I think I caught it eating dinner ( or breakfast?).

Sandy-2

Did 20 miles up in Huntsville State Park, a really nice run. The trails were in really good shape considering all the rain we’ve had lately. Should be good for the Rocky Raccoon next weekend.

qotd: Unusual was 2 weeks or so ago seeing the coyotes in our suburban area. This morning at the park I saw lots of deer, some rabbits, a raccoon and a large group of hogs (also all sorts of birds but they don’t count I guess) - pretty eventful today actually.

tbd.

I had a good 50k yesterday at Fort Ord.  Great weather, overcast but dry with temps in the 50s and 60s.  Trails weren’t even very muddy since the past 3 days were dry.  Course PR today by 7 minutes, on my 7th time doing the race (even with a harder course after they changed it a couple years ago). 1st in AG.

Trail work today, then NFC championship game.

rultrailDC, sorry about your aunt's passing.

Sandy, good run.

QOTD: nothing new or interesting here.  I hear owls every night but I have yet to see one.  Coyotes are not too unusual here, although I haven't seen one for a few months.  Mostly I'm fascinated by the variety of mushrooms on display.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Sandy-2

Did 20 miles this morning. It was about 40 deg and windy so I felt good to start, but then I guess I got tuckered out and the last 3 or 4 miles were a struggle, but I was still able to grunt it out.

runtrail - Sorry to hear about your Aunt.

Gatsby - Congrats on the great 50k!!!

qotd again:  I did see a weird thing this morning..... a raccoon was right next to the trail and close to a woman who had stopped, when I stopped it just stayed where it was just kinda hanging out.  This was in broad daylight about 90 minutes after sunrise. It was cool to see in such close detail and in good light, but we were thinking it was either sick or very confused with the rainy and grey mornings we've been having.

tbd.

runtraildc

3.5 slow miles this morning in a park I have not visited since college. It's along the river and it was pretty muddy (thus the slower than normal pace). I did find a singletrack trail along the bluff I was looking for and found this little 'canyon'. The pictures don't do it justice. The walls at the waterfall are at least 30 feet tall, and it's about 8-10 feet wide at the stream. Weird weather continues. For MN, this 33 degrees is mid March weather.

qotd: Ha, the owl sagas continue. My neighbor was frantically texting last night as two barred owls on our street were going after her cat, which slipped out the door (cat is fine). we've been hearing those owls a lot lately and I'm hopeing they next in our big Cedar tree.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

8 miles yesterday with Tiny Elvis; 5 miles with DW and TE today.

qotw: We saw some the ass ends of a couple of elk yesterday. They’ve been really using this one finger ridge. The elk trails are all the way down to dirt - that’s with 8-10” of snow.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Congratulations, Gatsby!  Sweet!

Yesterday was 4 trail miles running in a drizzle, today was the same 4 miles power hiking in stunningly beautiful conditions.  Got up to the mid 60's today.  Weird.  Hamstrings behaved themselves, so that's a plus!

Ended up just hanging the rest of the weekend doing a jigsaw puzzle, watching movies and football, and making ganola.

QOTD: Nope.  But we did see a couple of gorgeous bucks on the property across from us.  They were obviously posing. 

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance