Trailer Trash

Terrific Tuesday (Read 13 times)

runtraildc

After a long absence, the sun is back today. Hooray. Yesterday, my run kept getting pushed back until finally before dinner, Chowder and I got out for a short 3 miler. Not speedy, but it felt really nice and was quite relaxing. Although it was dark, we went to the hiker-biker trail before looping back home. Trusty headlamp, I love you.

qotd: 2023-- any big plans/races in development? Nothing yet for me. Some of our ideas are contingent on the kiddos. DS1 might be in Texas at some extended point later in the year, and DS2 should be starting college, possibly staying in northern AZ. If that's the case, we might take an extended fall trip out West. DH is still teleworking and I'd like to get in a Grand Canyon hike.

And yesterday's question-- yes, I have a few casual group runs that I attend weekly. And my running club has a winter trails program that I thought about signing up for, to meet other trail runners and get higher mileage, but I might have missed the sign up deadline.

LB2

I took an easy 5 mile run this morning. Sometime next week, I'll do the B2B 20's. This week will be fairly easy from here until Sunday. I'll probably still end up with 50 miles for the week. I stacked up 3 long runs in 5 days (15,15, and 20), and my legs feel pretty good. I guess that is a good sign. I am struggling to hold back and not get stupid. Stupid is my default setting for active pursuits.

QOTD: I am stoked about 2023!!! I have a 100 mile run on March 3rd/4th. We have our 3rd annual opening day of Alabama's turkey season hunt on the weekend of March 25th. We have the southwestern Oklahoma public land turkey hunt the first week of May. We are supposed to be going on a family trip to Big Cedar Lodge near Branson, MO. I was informed it would be a summer trip, but I was originally thinking it would be a Christmas vacation. It doesn't matter; we always have a great time in the Ozarks. And finally, the trip that I just cannot get off my mind is the Nebraska mule deer hunt in mid-November. I came up with the idea when I was trying to soothe my anxiety about my daughter's living arrangements when she moved back to Colorado. All her stuff has worked out better than I could have hoped for, great place, better job, happy. I will probably always worry about my children, adult or not. Anyway, the trip morphed from a Colorado pronghorn hunt to a Nebraska mule deer hunt because of the ease of licensing in Nebraska versus Colorado.

LB2

NorthernHarrier

Probably gonna skip the run today as I'm gonna try to get into this fairly remote area for some exploration. Today may be my only chance as we're supposed to get about a foot of snow starting tomorrow. A lot of swamp with island pockets of old growth pine and hemlock. It's maybe a half hour from here but I've yet to get in there as it's pretty wet and mosquito lively so right now it will be frozen with only about 6" of snow. If that doesn't work out I'll just do 4 or so on the bike path.  The next couple days here will start with freezing rain then change to heavy snow with high winds.  A recipe for power outages.

QOTD--timely as a few minutes ago I just cancelled some camping reservations in Ark. and Texas for March. DW and I will be on Florida's emerald coast for Jan and Feb and after the way Dec has gone so far we'll just need to relax here as opposed to more travelling. Otherwise there really is nothing set in stone except my usual Ontario canoe/fishing trips.  As far as any racing--well that's all over for this dinosaur.

LB--good for you on the running and hunting. Good luck.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

4 miles with Tiny Elvis- chilly outing with temps at 15 and wind ~ 10 mph, w/o the wind it wouldn't have been bad at all, with the wind.........

Our long term forecast looks atrocious- highs in the low negatives and lows -20-25 oh joy 

Will get out for 4-5 miles today and strength train too- not sure in what order

qotd yesterday- not for a couple of years; used to run with the local group quite frequently, but much more of a hiker now than a runner 

qotd: plan on doing the Bob Marshall Wilderness Open this Spring, have my Dall sheep hunt in August, NH and I might get together for a canoe trip on the Smith River- it's on a lottery and you have to draw, so we'll see

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

4 very chilly, predawn miles this a.m., with hill repeats.  I really had to talk myself out of bed 'cause I knew it was gonna be cold and I was right -thermo of my car read 32 when I left for work at 7:45.  Now I'm at work with my heater blasting trying to warm up my frigging cold office so my hands will work.

QOTD: I'd like to run a couple of 50k races this year for the first time over 4 years.  Skyline 50k in August is a possibility since I got to defer last year due to PF, but I know it's gonna be hot and I don't run in warm weather.  There's also Forest Ranch Four 50k in April, but I don't know if I can be ready for an April 50k and finish.  I signed up last year, but again, PF got in the way.  A friend ran it, so I need to pick her brain about the course.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

LB2

QOTD: I'd like to run a couple of 50k races this year for the first time over 4 years.  Skyline 50k in August is a possibility since I got to defer last year due to PF, but I know it's gonna be hot and I don't run in warm weather.  There's also Forest Ranch Four 50k in April, but I don't know if I can be ready for an April 50k and finish.  I signed up last year, but again, PF got in the way.  A friend ran it, so I need to pick her brain about the course.

Any issues with the PF now? Mine seems to have completely gone away.

LB2

XtremeTaper

5 last night out at the lake under grey and crisp conditions, and today was 5 at lunch on the local trail in sunny and crisp conditions. Not complaining, 35 or so with no wind is pleasant weather for December. Not much to report on the runs, though we did see a good size fox down below us in an open area as we skirted the cedar forest. I think we surprised him.. he looked a bit startled to be spotted out in the open like that.

QOTD.  No big plans or races. Maybe do the chilly cheeks trail race this January. We do plan a few weeks in FL in February to see my parents, so need to find a weekend place to go soon that is dog friendly.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Any issues with the PF now? Mine seems to have completely gone away.

Minor.  I have to be good about my stretching and massaging or it starts creeping back, but most days I don't feel anything.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sandy-2

Did 5 mi this morning.  Warm and humid - yucky summer sort of run. Enough said.

qotd: DD is planning on a multi-day adventure race in August up in CO, I'll probably crew for that. Then in September I'm in the Mogollon Monster in AZ.

tbd.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Rest day. Spent a lot more time on my feet shopping than planned and my ankle isn't happy.

qotd: Not making any plans for 2023 races until my follow-up appointment after Christmas when I'll hopefully learn when it's okay to start running again. Would like to run Pistol Ultra 50K again, but doubtful.  Couple of races I haven't run before are possibilities: Bell Lap 12-Hour and Mind the Ducks 12-Hour. Then I might consider Arrowhead Ultra 6/12/24 in Southern Illinois near where I spent my summers as a kid with my grandparents.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.