Trailer Trash

the Weekender (Read 11 times)

runtraildc

Not wonderful weather at that. Ran 5 very humid, hilly miles in rock creek this morning. Air felt thick and hard to breathe, but it's cooling off tonight and tomorrow will be nicer overall. Thinking about jumping into a low key club race in the morning. It's on one of my old swim practice trails and I haven't run them for 2 years.

qotd: Any good dinner ideas? We're having leftover fried rice, and cooking up some dumplings on the side. Not very inspired, but I'm trying to clear out space in the freezer and fridge.

Sandy-2

Did my 15 mi this morning. As usual hot and muggy with stagnant air. I was totally overheated as usual. But now it’s taper time!!!

What wasn’t usual were all the downed trees about 4 miles from our house!!!  Everything here is totally dried out, it’s a tinderbox. Then 2 days ago we had a crazy thunderstorm cell go through, huge wind BUT NO RAIN. At our house we didn’t have anything at all just a slight breeze, but at this place 4 miles away it looks like a tornado went thru (but they said it wasn’t an actual tornado). About 3/4 mile of trail I usually run there must be 30 to 40 huge downed trees!!! I had to scramble over, under bushwhack around about 10 of them. It was totally crazy.  Fortunately it looks like only 1 or 2 houses got crunched and no one hurt, they also said that the damage was done in about 10 minutes. They are starting to clean it up, but it’s going to take some time.

qotd: No good ideas here, we’re having sandwiches for dinner. 

tbd.

15 miles today with over 2300 ft of elevation gain/loss and by Mile 11 the wheel started to fall off.  Not sure what happened 'cause I felt like I was getting the calories in, but I was done.  Ran at a place called Headwaters not far from my house.  Took a relatively new side trail that sees little action 'cause no dogs are allowed.  I haven't run it in the reverse direction in a long time and oofdah!!  Let's just say the stairs are easier the other direction - they're mostly down!

I'm not a fast runner anyway, and it took me about an hour longer than I anticipated and didn't get home until after 3:00.  Had a hard time eating and pretty much nibble my way through the rest of the afternoon and evening.  My legs are very cranky.

QOTD:  The Hub made a pot of spaghetti sauce in anticipation of having spaghetti for dinner, but given I was having a hard time eating, that didn't happen, so it'll be dinner tomorrow.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

XtremeTaper

About to head out to Birdsboro watershed for 5 or so miles with Baker. A bit less humid today then yesterday. Ran 4 yesterday up at the local trail solo in a fine jogging fashion. Lots of short walks with the pup. My buddy came over with his beagle/lab mix. Birdie gave her the business. It was hysterical.

QOTD: I made a batch of roasted salsa verde with tomatillos from the garden. So it was chicken enchiladas with salsa verde and monterey jack cheese yesterday with plenty of leftovers for today.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'm back alive from the Arctic Circle   Trip of a lifetime for sure.  Harvested a nice Dall ram and came very close to harvesting a very large grizzly.  It exceeded my expectations and my expectations were very high!

Hit the trails the last few days w/ Tiny Elvis, 5 miles this morning and strength trained this afternoon.

qotw: I cooked up a sheep roast last night; DW marinated it overnight- grill at high heat 600-ish for a couple of minutes each side to sear it, got the heat back to about 300, turned it a couple of times and checking the internal temp until ~ 135, let sit for about 10 minutes (in tin foil).  Sliced fairly thin to a nice rare and served w/ a wild rice mix, salad and a crusty baguette- perfect!  We ate the tenderloins in the field and the ribs at the lodge- hard to describe how good.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Took an URD today, when my alarm went off I just didn’t feel like another pre-dawn hot run. Then later today it hit 106°, so just planned to run tomorrow instead.

mt, welcome bock!!  The grilled sheep sounds interesting.

tbd.

LB2

Warden: I have never sheep hunted, but my old neighbor killed some nice rams from each of the subspecies. Based on the rams I saw in his house, I know that is more than a "nice ram". That is a wonderful ram; he had some wonderful ones too, including a Marco Polo from Kazakhstan that he never told his wife the amount of money it took to get. LOL. Congratulations!!!!

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Warden: I have never sheep hunted, but my old neighbor killed some nice rams from each of the subspecies. Based on the rams I saw in his house, I know that is more than a "nice ram". That is a wonderful ram; he had some wonderful ones too, including a Marco Polo from Kazakhstan that he never told his wife the amount of money it took to get. LOL. Congratulations!!!!

Thanks! 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm back alive from the Arctic Circle   Trip of a lifetime for sure.  Harvested a nice Dall ram and came very close to harvesting a very large grizzly.  It exceeded my expectations and my expectations were very high!

Hope you had time to enjoy the scenery as well.  Was caribou an option?  Always wanted to visit Gates of the Arctic NP but I don't think I'm physically capable of that anymore.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Hope you had time to enjoy the scenery as well.  Was caribou an option?  Always wanted to visit Gates of the Arctic NP but I don't think I'm physically capable of that anymore.

Beautiful country!  I had a caribou license, but about a week too early.  Got a text from one of the guides, they're moving in pretty thick now 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √