Trailer Trash

Fridaily (Read 37 times)

mecrowe

Computer Geek

4 fast miles around the neighborhood last night in a lovely warm rain.

qotd1:  no gyms for me

qotd2:  I started running 3 years ago to lose weight and get in shape after watching my obese step-dad lying in ICU for 3 weeks.  His weight hindered his recovery from heart problems (and I'm sure caused a lot of the original problems) so much....I swore that I was not going to be disabled due to weight issues by the time I hit retirement age.  I was 270 pounds then......I lost 70 pounds that year.....and have been in the 195-200 range ever since.  Now I run because it is enjoyable.

Birdwell

Afternoon folks!

This whole week has turned into an unscheduled week off. Job and life constraints.

Big news from the week is that I've been offered a new job! (at half my current salary)

Well, my name has been submitted to the university president as the preferred candidate for the job and once he signs off on it I'll get an "official" job offer.

We've spent most of the week going over bills trying to see if we can make it work. I think we can make it, but it'll be tight.

Luckily I've already got 6 pairs of new running shoes in the closet and I think I may be able to score some free race entries by volunteering.

Good luck to you racers and pacers and FKTers this weekend!

QOTD 1: the new job comes with discounted passes to the university pool and athletic building, so I will take advantage of that (primarily the pool)

QOTD 2: I started running for the very specific purpose of being good at running. It is turning into a lifestyle and the new job (I can't quit talking about it) will be much more conducive to that lifestyle.

Watoni

Maybe a quick lunch ride ... I am enjoying climbs that are either less than 15km or less than 10% average, and just going my own pace. I can tell I am still tired from the trip. Also, I am hoping for a long run tomorrow Wink

QOTD 1: I used to, and now want to do TRX. Exercising outside and using my own body weight appeals to me. If I had strengthened my back the Pyrenees would have been much less painful. I can fake a 200 mile ride with lots of climbing and not feel my back, but ten days really exposed me.

QOTD 2: Fitness has generally been part of me for most of my life. I was definitely out of shape in 2007 ... I suffered through two hard double centuries on the bike. Running in the past two years has been a revelation, a challenge and hopefully something that will stay with my for decades to come. I do worry when I see articles like Andy Jones-Wilkins' in IrunFar talking about being injured all the time. Running is much safer than cycling (just lost a member of our club who was engaged to a friend and fellow club member while I was away -- she was blindsided by a car not far from where I live, and I will probably ride there this afternoon), but injuries are a concern in terms of longevity.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

My alarm went off and I fell asleep.  I usually have a second alarm but it was set for too late.  Earl lives by the sun so he hasn't been trying to nudge me out of bed because it's not light enough.  Hope to do 6 after work with Earl.  Well I am going to do it!!  Wish I could go now as the weather is out of theis world right now!

QOTD: No.  I had a membership a couple years ago when training for a tri and used for laps only.  Keep thinking of joining one but I don't.  I need to start some type of weight training.

QOTD:  I've been a lifer.  I ran track and CC in high school although I sucked but running was a way to stay in shape for what I loved skiing.  I ran in college to compensate for all the beer I was drinking.  After college ran to stay trim (also played soccer), signed up for races to motivate me to run.  I am a competive person, although always middle packer I like the thrill of beating others.

Sedentary Job:  Speaking of that I have an app on my phone counting how many steps I take.  The steps aren't scary but no including the running I am active about 50 minutes a day!!!

Birdwell:  Your happy with half the pay?  Hope it means half the time too.

Watoni:  We also had a friend crash her road bike and was in serious condition, luckily she is pulling through, and hoping the brain damage completely corrects itself.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Watoni

My alarm went off and I fell asleep.  I usually have a second alarm but it was set for too late.  Earl lives by the sun so he hasn't been trying to nudge me out of bed because it's not light enough.  Hope to do 6 after work with Earl.  Well I am going to do it!!  Wish I could go now as the weather is out of theis world right now!

QOTD: No.  I had a membership a couple years ago when training for a tri and used for laps only.  Keep thinking of joining one but I don't.  I need to start some type of weight training.

QOTD:  I've been a lifer.  I ran track and CC in high school although I sucked but running was a way to stay in shape for what I loved skiing.  I ran in college to compensate for all the beer I was drinking.  After college ran to stay trim (also played soccer), signed up for races to motivate me to run.  I am a competive person, although always middle packer I like the thrill of beating others.

Sedentary Job:  Speaking of that I have an app on my phone counting how many steps I take.  The steps aren't scary but no including the running I am active about 50 minutes a day!!!

Watoni:  We also had a friend crash her road bike and was in serious condition, luckily she is pulling through, and hoping the brain damage completely corrects itself.

I really hope your friend pulls through.

Crashing is a risk I accept if it is due to rider error, equipment failure, oil slick, etc. Drivers intentionally targeting cyclists (as has happened to me) or simply oblivious to the fact they are operating a deadly weapon and that talking on their phone is an unacceptable risk is harder to accept.

Sandy-2

SRD for me today.

q1: yes but as part of a family plan.  I use it sporatically.  I did use it to do a lot of stairs before Leadville.

q2: I ran a long time ago but then took an extended break.  Then about 15 years ago I started up again, since then it's been quite a steady gig.  As far as a life-long or later-in-life thing?  I don't know.

tbd.

moonlightrunner

I hope to head out for 5ish with the dog...if the nausea goes away....I made a dish of enchilladas for my daughter and her SO. Ate a half of one...guess eating something with cheese was a bad idea. Tasted good though!

qotd: yes...but I never go there. I am ending it. I

just ddon't feel comfortable there.

qotd2: I started running track in high school. It was the first year they had a girl's team. I ran recreationally in college...and have run since...with a few years off here and there. I started running for weight loss...I've continued running because I discovered trail running and I love it.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

An easy 7 miles today, basically a recovery run. Couldn't believe how tight my calves were after yesterday's reintro to trail running. Please tell me it gets easier - even if you have to lie about it.

QOTD1 - No gym membership. Had one years ago mainly to use the indoor track, but that was too hard on my knees and hips with the constant turns.

QOTD2 - Running is more a part of who I am, a defining characteristic. I started young as a competitive runner and returned to it for the same reason in my early 20s.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Birdwell

Wouldn't call it happy, but willing to make it work (I think). Better job situation overall. 2/3 the work load. Better advancement potential, better benefits. Just lacking in the salary dept a bit.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I really hope your friend pulls through.

Crashing is a risk I accept if it is due to rider error, equipment failure, oil slick, etc. Drivers intentionally targeting cyclists (as has happened to me) or simply oblivious to the fact they are operating a deadly weapon and that talking on their phone is an unacceptable risk is harder to accept.

Well they say it was car related, although she was not hit it may have caused her to re-act and crash.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Wouldn't call it happy, but willing to make it work (I think). Better job situation overall. 2/3 the work load. Better advancement potential, better benefits. Just lacking in the salary dept a bit.

Sometimes you have to step back to move forward.  I myself step back to move to a better location.  It's frustrating while I am at work but it worth it when I leave and live in a cool place.

Wandering Wally

An easy 7 miles today, basically a recovery run. Couldn't believe how tight my calves were after yesterday's reintro to trail running. Please tell me it gets easier - even if you have to lie about it.

It will get easier.  Really ;-)

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've had two friends in similar accidents, one a member of my running club, the other my first wife. While rehab took a long time both are recovered and living normal lives - if being a triathlete can be considered normal. I believe my running club friend was serious enough that she was kept in a medically induced coma for a while but she is back competing now and has become something of a poster child for the rehab center.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

It will get easier.  Really ;-)

It really will!  Your body needs time to adjust.  Start slowly with the trails, work your way up.  Some compression socks or sleeves could help too.

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Oh, and it looks like I'm bringing up the rear tonight.  5 miles with Bella after work on the road.

Running is dumb.