Trailer Trash

last days of Hell (Wednesdaily) (Read 19 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

90 today and tomorrow and then the long range forecast is calling for temps in the 70's (even a few 60's)- hallelujah!

strength trained yesterday evening, probably just take today off- don't work Thursday so can take advantage of the cool mornings.

qotd: your daily driver?  mine is a 2012 Tacoma 4x4, doesn't get good mileage, but it's a great truck otherwise.  very likely will replace it with a newer one in the next year or two

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

dhuffman63

Trails

Got in 3 miles on the TM last night, wanted more but had to go take care of horses.

qotd: 2017 Toyota RAV4.  It's my second one....I really like it.  Just big enough without me having to install a ladder to get in.  Gets decent gas milage for an AWD vehicle.

After volunteering this weekend at the Lhotse I'm now researching 2 person tents.  I did not realize how much some of them cost.  I'd have to do a lot of "camping" to justify spending $600 on a tent but on the other hand I want one that's quality and will provide the type of shelter I'm looking for.  sigh.  I thought buying shoes was bad.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I've always been in the "buy once, cry once" crowd Smile  a quality shelter should last you decades (unless you are a complete gear nut like some folks I know )

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

4 quick miles yesterday.  I am with you warden, looking for this heat to go.  Looks like today is the last day for us on the east coast too for higher temps and then a nice cool down for a while.  Hopefully it doesn't cool down too much though.  I would love a nice long autumn.  Today is a rest day for me.

dhuff - I forgot to comment yesterday on your volunteering at the Lhotse.  I had to look up the race.  It doesn't look like anything I would be interested in.  If I am going to do 200 miles, I want some scenery.  Staring at the same people lap after lap doesn't count as scenery for me.  

QOTD: 2008 Kia Sportage.  I will be replacing it with a Jeep Wrangler in 1-2 years and then give it to DS1 who will be driving by then.

Have a great Hump Day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Good morning!  Planning on attempting a run/walk after work today.

QOTD: 2012 Honda Civic with about 74K miles.  I'm planning on driving her for at least another 10 years.  Smile

After volunteering this weekend at the Lhotse I'm now researching 2 person tents.  I did not realize how much some of them cost.  I'd have to do a lot of "camping" to justify spending $600 on a tent but on the other hand I want one that's quality and will provide the type of shelter I'm looking for.  sigh.  I thought buying shoes was bad.

You don't need a $600 tent.  Just get an REI half dome and it will serve you well for many years!

Running is dumb.

Sandy-2

Did 5 mi this morning.  The calf is fixed, didn't feel a thing. My DW will be so happy, for some reason she says that I've been a little grouchy this past week...  I don't know why? 

mt, I fixed this for you "Last days 6 weeks of hell !!!!"  We'll probably be in the triple digits today.

qotd: A 2016 Honda Civic with 30k miles, it's my commuter car about 20 mi each way to/from work, for the most part I just set the cruse control on 80mph and ride in the slow lane to stay out of the way of the pickup trucks.  Overall it gets about 38 mpg.

tbd.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

(unless you are a complete gear not like some folks I know )

Gear nerd?  I'm pretty bad, but you're probably worse than me! 

Running is dumb.

dhuffman63

Trails

Jamie that's what I thought too at first but the loop is big enough and in a park that isn't closed.  There were people walking their dogs (I got to pet a lot of dogs, it was heaven) families, people on bikes, kids on bikes (they sucked) ducks and geese, there were 3 ponds in the park and I saw a blue heron in the one in the back corner.  There were some guys playing frisbee golf.  Most of the other participants were much faster than me but I did get to walk with one guy who was in the 200 and struggling.  I like to think I helped him with a few laps.  In between I helped at the AS so I was pretty much always doing something.  I've yet to do a trail race where I have someone to talk to....they leave me in the dust before a mile.  Plus no DNF...I may not have gotten all the miles I wanted when I signed up but I got some and that makes me happy.

Mandy, I'll look at the REI half dome.

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today. Felt pretty nice out this morning and a little fog, so I really wanted to run. I love running trails in the fog.

Diane - you don't need to spend $600 for a tent. Look around. Like Mandy said REI.

QOTD:  2017 Honda Ridgeline. Gets 25 mpg and can haul the stuff I need to haul.  The "trunk" that's under the bed is great fro my running gear. I always have water and running clothes in there for an impromptu run. This is my second Ridgeline.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

dhuff - I forgot to comment yesterday on your volunteering at the Lhotse.  I had to look up the race.  It doesn't look like anything I would be interested in.  If I am going to do 200 miles, I want some scenery.  Staring at the same people lap after lap doesn't count as scenery for me.  

Tahoe 200?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Planned 800m intervals this evening.

qotd: 1998 Subaru Legacy SW, 175,000 miles.  May think about replacing it once I reach 200K in 4-5 years. I don't drive much normally beyond a few miles to and from the store or one of the local parks to run.  Never actually calculated it, but I'd guess a large chunk of my annual mileage comes from driving to and from races in Ohio, Virginia, and other nearby places.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

For me, more like getting ready to go to Hell... Hell, MI.  The start/finish for my race this weekend is at Hell Creek Ranch.  It will be six loops.  I'm not a loop person, but it'll make logistics easy.

WC mentioned Tahoe 200.  Talk about scenery that is absolutely stunning!  I've volunteered there a few times at my running club's aid station and know four people doing it this year.  But: high altitude, long drives for crew access, long distances between aid stations, really expensive, and, well, 200 miles. So I'm thinking that's a nope for me.

Those short loop courses for those timed races are also a nope for me, for the reasons Dr. J said.

QOTD: We've got a few old Mercedes (1995-2006) which my DH has accumulated over the years, works on, and refuses to let go of.  Plus a Honda minivan.  My ride could any of the above.  My favorite car was my Honda Accord.  Gave it to my dad a few years ago.  It's well over 200k miles now.

MTA: GatorEye, I hope to see you this weekend.  That's me below.  I'll be in a tie-die running skirt.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Jamie- the four door?  very sharp looking

Mandy- gear nerd, gear nut- all fit Smile

Gatsby- could have easily posted that sign up here the last week; two days and we’re in the clear (until the below zero stuff hits )

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

Go to Walmart or Academy and get an Ozark Trail tent. I have spent quite a few nights in mine with no problem. The only way I would consider an expensive tent is if I was regularly spending a week or two in mountains hunting elk or mule deer, and then, it would be a wall tent with a stove for a base camp. Anyway, those Ozark Trail tents are less than $100 bucks; I think mine was like $40 or something. Below is a link for some tents. I said Ozark Trail, but these are mostly Magellan and Coleman. You can get much cheaper than these, and they are just fine.

https://www.academy.com/shop/browse/outdoors/camping--outdoors/tents--screen-houses/dome-tents

LB2

LB2

After work yesterday, I had to go to a ball game to watch my daughter cheer. She did great, and their 8th grade team won 28 to 8. If there are football games in Hell, they must be like that game yesterday evening. It was HOT!!! No BREEZE!!! Direct SUN!!! I woke up a little late this morning and ran my short loop. I made an excuse to get out to a school this morning because I had to go get a hunting license and an extra box of shotgun shells for the dove shoot on Saturday. It is supposed to be 96 on Saturday, so I'll shoot in the morning. They can have the afternoon shoot.

QOTD: 2017 Dodge Ram (Big Horn Edition) 4X4 Crew Cab (or Club Cab). All I know is that is more truck than I ever had. I drove a 2001 Mazda extra cab for 17 years before I got this one. I'll drive it as long as it keeps going.

LB2