Trailer Trash

Too cold Tuesday! (Read 16 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

-11 here this morning, but the next three days are supposed to be worse, gradual warmup starting Sunday (I hope)

TE and I got 4 miles (snowshoes) yesterday after work, temps about -3; if it warms up to that we’ll go again today as the next 3-4 days are definitely a no go

qotd: if you’re not retired, about how much longer do you have until you are?  if you are retired what advice do you have for us that aren’t?  I’m planning on the first of next year, just 326 to go  

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

mt, -11 is too cold.

Once again I slept in so I'll run after work.  Probably 5 or 6 miles.  DD is doing the 50 miler on Saturday, so I'm making my plans to be her crew/pacer.

qotd: At this time, my plan is for Spring 2022.

tbd.

dhuffman63

Trails

qotd: Not retired...I'm 57 and DH is 8 years younger so some time left.  I'll work as long as my health holds out and save as much money as possible.  At this point we are starting to look at places to retire cause I refuse to stay here in OK in retirement.  I'm looking for a warm place relatively free of people 

XtremeTaper

4 on the roads yesterday with Baker. Cold but not -11 cold. A bit milder today, 20's this morning for the dog wog, 30's now. I think it will be just 3 or 4 on the roads again today. Looks like snow missed us today but another "snow event" forecast Wednesday night into Friday. Hoping my yaktrax arrive soon.  Could not find my size at the store yesterday so amazon'd it. Went for the running version which was a mix of coils and lugs.

QOTD: Not retired. Not really thinking about it too much but could be as soon as 2023 but hope to hold off until 65 at least.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

6 road miles this a.m. with 6 x 1 min intervals, which I actually didn't suck at, so progress.

"Minus" any degree is just too frigging cold!

QOTD: Very long personal story behind it, but I don't see retirement happening any time soon for The Hub (60 yo) and me (55 yo this month).  At a minimum, I'll be working until 67 when I can draw SS.  At some point, he'll have to find something less physically taxing (he has his own grounds maintenance business), but we shall see.  I love the work I do, so even if I end up working P/T after 67, that's fine with  me.  I'm also trying to figure out how to grow my transcription business, which can be done anywhere at any time.  We are talking a lot about where we want to retire, because (1) CA is too damn expensive and (2) we have limited medical care here.  The problem with moving from here is the weather is so dang good year 'round.  Never really too hot or too cold.

Happy Tuesday.  Enjoy ~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dhuffman63

Trails

Leslie I understand the CA bit...it's off the map for us cause it's just so expensive.  Even though I mostly grew up in FL there are now way too many people and the area I'd like is too expensive also.  I'm looking at AZ at this point as I miss the desert.  But who knows what things will be in 10 years when I'm 67 and can draw SS.

LB2

I ran a nice 4 miles this morning. It was slow and easy at about 11 minutes per mile. But my quads were hurting. I didn't run at all last week and may have run a little fast on Monday, but it wasn't very far so not sure why the quads were taxed today.

QOTD: I am 52. Back when I was 47, I used to think about retiring and getting another job as soon as I was eligible. Since I transferred, I hardly think about it anymore. I figure at least another 10 years, which would give me 29 years. I guess I'll go for 30. So, maybe I'll retire in 11 years.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Leslie one possible source of more jobs would be to contact any law enforcement agencies near you. We would have all our interviews and interrogations transcribed. We had a couple of folks that we used and iirc, we paid pretty good.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Gator eye

My 6 at 9 degrees sounds awful warm compared to Mike. Guess I’ll quit my dam complaining. 

QOtD: 55 now, hope to retire at 65 and just do side work when, where, and how much I want. 
                    it would be nice to retire someplace warm but. It would have to be out of the states. I can’t afford the warm states

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

11 today and exhausted afterwards

qotd:  retired for 3 plus years.  Advice: make plans now for the kinds of things you'd like to do.  You'll have a lot more free time and it's easy to waste it.  Expand on your hobbies and current leisure activities, take up ones you've considered but thought you never had time for. Consider getting more active in behind the scene activities of trail and ultra races. Lots of runners out there who would appreciate crew and pacers.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Pain is my friend

8.5 miles this morning on the road. 5 miles of climbing and 3.5 miles down.

qotd: Too many years. Something like 25 years. Too long to think about. Just keep running.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

11 today and exhausted afterwards

qotd:  retired for 3 plus years.  Advice: make plans now for the kinds of things you'd like to do.  You'll have a lot more free time and it's easy to waste it.  Expand on your hobbies and current leisure activities, take up ones you've considered but thought you never had time for. Consider getting more active in behind the scene activities of trail and ultra races. Lots of runners out there who would appreciate crew and pacers.

thanks George- was hoping you would chime in Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

thanks George- was hoping you would chime in Smile

I've been catching up on my reading, training more consistently, and am an admin for two FB groups where I'm very active.  In one I also maintain the race calendar.  Then when I can travel, I try to take a minimum of two vacation or destination race trips a year to explore more areas of the US and Canada.  Researching my trips can be time consuming, even if it can be fun too.  I still have time to watch a lot of sports and play a few computer games.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

that all sounds good to me Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

60 minutes easy run with strides.

I've been catching up on my reading, training more consistently, and am an admin for two FB groups where I'm very active.  In one I also maintain the race calendar.  Then when I can travel, I try to take a minimum of two vacation or destination race trips a year to explore more areas of the US and Canada.  Researching my trips can be time consuming, even if it can be fun too.  I still have time to watch a lot of sports and play a few computer games.

This sounds like a pretty good way to be retired, WC.

Fatozig, as a fellow northern Californian, I agree that our weather is hard to beat.  And the cost of living is ... not great.  

QOTD: I'm several years away from retiring, too long to think about.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR