Trailer Trash

Merry Monday (Read 11 times)

runtraildc

Holy cow, where did January go?!? Chowder and I got in 5 miles on the Bay trails yesterday. Rained on for most of it, but the best kind of rain-- light with little wind and temps not bad. Trails were a bit muddy, but the park has been working a lot on them the past few years.  When it first opened to the public, many of the trails were impassable any time there was a high flood and/or rain.  This run also marked the firs back to back running days I've had in a while.  Probably since the holidays

qotd: Any good books or streaming lately? I've been watching 'Abbott Elementary' --  incredibly good. And guaranteed belly laughs. REading David Sedaris' latest book. I'm going thru it slowly, but I always enjoy his works.

Also watching two races in MN today-- John Beargrease dog sled race, and Arrowhead 135. It's cold up there.

LB2

I ran 6.5 miles this morning. I made my goal for January with that run. I ran a total of 15 miles in the rain yesterday, and to be honest, I am hoping it rains during the race in March. I think rain does something to me from both a physical and mental level. On the physical level, it keep me cool. On the mental level, I just sort of go somewhere else. I don't know how that works, but that is what it feels like.

QOTD: I was streaming "1923", but for some reason, they broke it up into two different segments. The second one starts on February 5th. I also recently finished "Jack Ryan". I really enjoyed that show. In the meantime, "Reacher" kept popping up as something I would like, 97%... I watched the first episode, and I thought the premise was absurd. I watched the second episode thinking it might get better, but it has only gotten worse. I think what makes me think it is absurd is the stereotypes they use for the local Southerners. It doesn't offend me; I just think it is ridiculous. Additionally, the production quality looks low budget. I am looking forward to Season 3 of "Outer Banks". I love that show.

LB2

XtremeTaper

A few slow 5 milers over the weekend. We are baby sitting my friends dog which is small beagle/lab mix. She joined Baker and I this weekend for our trail runs. She is a trail dawg of course, and does well but I am not used to accounting for 2 dogs on the trail. It's a lot more work and slower going. Used to do it all the time when I had springers. Anyway, pretty good weather to be out there this weekend.

QOTD: We watched both seasons of white lotus on HBO over the holidays. I can't explain why, but that show sucked me in. We are about done with Jack Ryan season 3 on prime. Will finish that up this week. That's a good one if you like international CIA/spy dramas. Might check that Poker Face show on Peacock soon. I heard it's a pretty good show, sort of in the Columbo genre.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

Got up early today and did 10 mi in slight drizzle, a bit of wind, and 45 deg.  A good morning for a run though.  I guess I'm the same as LB as far a running in the rain is concerned.  I ran 5 mi to the gym, got there at about 6:30 (I usually meet some friends who are typically there at that time, just to say "hi", get some water, etc.) then run the 5 mi back home.  But today they weren't there, I'll have to give them a hard time next time I see them.

qotd: I'm currently reading Moby Dick, in real-life paperback book form, it's a very slow process between the "olde English" and the long-windedness of Melvile I can only read a few pages at a time.  It took him like 5 pages to describe the whiteness of "the whale" and historical references to all things white. . . . sheesh.  But I'm determined to plough through. 

We also just finished up Jack Ryan, we liked it.

We just watched Keep Breathing, it was kinda cool and covered a woman stranded in the Alaskan Wilderness, but it was more metaphorical rather than true survival.  She does a lot of things wrong and that drove me crazy, but those things were part of the metaphors I guess. . . . I know. . . deep.

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Still below 0 here (windchill well below) so looks like another day on the dreadmill, TE isn't going to like that. supposed to get into the upper teens tomorrow, if it does we'll be back on the trails!

qotd: Reading (actually rereading) A Tough Trip Through Paradise by Andrew Garcia- an autobiography of 1870's Montana- the tale end of the fur trade, the tail end of the Plains Indian including a detailed account of the New Perce War (he married a New Perce).

Just finished Season 4 of Fauda- an extremely terse series of an undercover/special unit of the Israeli military; deep cover missions deep into parts of Palestine, Lebanon and Syria.  I'm not a binger, but had a hard time not hitting watch next episode with this one.

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

30 min on the bike to nowhere this a.m., then a visit to the dentist to get a crown on that's been waiting since last May (needed new year of insurance to kick in), then to work to find out that both our dept secretaries are out today (one was scheduled to be out, one called in sick), I literally had just sat down at my desk when the phone calls started, blah, blah, blah . . . No I'm waiting impatiently for 10:30 so I can drink my coffee (I have 9 min to go . . .).

Okay, then.  It's Monday.

QOTD: Currently reading "The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World" by A. J. Jacobs.  It chronicles his quest the read the Encyclopedia Britannica in one year.  It's a hoot.  And in honest to God paperback.  But then all our books are (or hardback).

Over the weekend watched "Dough" and "The Last Bus".  Both were good, "Dough" was better, and "The Last Bus" isn't real uplifting, but I'm glad we watched it.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

5 miles (1500' via a calculator) on the dreadmill- sucks but that should be the last day for awhile (I hope!)

speaking of not uplifting, we watched The Banshees of Inisherin with Colin Farrell- the acting (and cinematography) were both top notch- uplifting- not even close

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

I'm working on his book (slowly) 'The Year of Living Bibilically' in which he follows the bible literally. He is hilarious.

QOTD: Currently reading "The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World" by A. J. Jacobs.  It chronicles his quest the read the Encyclopedia Britannica in one year.  It's a hoot.  And in honest to God paperback.  But then all our books are (or hardback).

Over the weekend watched "Dough" and "The Last Bus".  Both were good, "Dough" was better, and "The Last Bus" isn't real uplifting, but I'm glad we watched it.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

It's cold here...not as cold as Warden but 7 degrees and I just didn't feel like going outside.  I didn't walk the dog, I didn't run....I did nothing!!! So stick that in your pipe and smoke it!!!

Qotd:  Nirhing worth mentioning....but took sone notes from what you guys posted.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Damn, that's cold, warden.  My days of enjoying temps in the 40s and 50s are coming to an end in a couple days.  Won't be quite that cold, but I'll be wearing multiple layers.

Sandy - I did a report on Moby Dick for 11th grade American Lit.  Only student in the class that chose that book (had to be a 19th century novel).  It's very complex with a lot of religious imagery that would have been obvious to 19th century readers, but not so much for modern readers who aren't as conversant with the Bible.  The whale and whaling descriptions were overwhelming at times.

Still slowing increasing total run time, up to running 24 minutes broken into shorter segments along with a lot of brisk power walking, sometimes adding a double with 15-16 more minutes of walking interspersed in my walking.

qotd: I've been going back and rereading some sci-fi and fantasy favorites. Just finished Asimov's Foundation Trilogy.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.