Trailer Trash

Thriving Thursday (Read 14 times)

LB2

I don't know if I am really thriving or not, but I am still kicking. I have to drop the girls off at school this morning; I'll run 4 miles after I get back home. I actually have a face to face meeting with other humans today at 1PM.

QOTD: Critique something you have recently watched, listened to, or done.

Watching Dave Chappelle's "The Closer" yesterday may be one of the biggest let downs of any entertainment event I have ever watched as far as comedy goes. I think Dave is, and may always be, the best stand up comedian to ever take a stage. If he isn't the best, he should be in the top 5 of anyone's list. Anyway, I like comedy because it is an escape from the heaviness we sometimes see in life, especially over the last 18 months or so. There were several spots where there was a chuckle but the whole thing was just too heavy for me. However, he had a brilliant message that needed to be heard: We are all going through life as human beings; it doesn't matter who or what you are. So give people a little room to make mistakes and lighten up.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

3 mile hill workout with Tiny Elvis yesterday after work

we’ll head out after work today, probably will don the heavy pack

we got an email from “headquarters” yesterday saying that if you’re not fully vaccinated (I am) that to work Friday (and beyond) you’ll need to show a negative test (good for 72 hrs). Soooo guys who aren’t vaccinated found out yesterday, that rapid tests sell out in a matter of minutes and there are NONE in town. Well how does that effect me?  Well this Friday there are going to be several guys who can’t show up for work. If they can’t show up for work, then Friday is not my day off and I have to show up. I’ve already conceded that I’m working Friday, BUT I shave a couple of rounds of vacation coming up for hunting season. Going to make it perfectly clear that nothing is going to impact my hunting. I’m leaving at the end of December anyways, leaving mid October doesn’t bother me a bit. 

qotd: DW and I have been watching 60’s movies on Saturday nights, we watched “Peeping Tom” (1960) a movie about a serial killer. Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 96% rating, we give it 50%   It’s often mentioned in the same vein as Psycho, but not close in our opinion

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

we got an email from “headquarters” yesterday saying that if you’re not fully vaccinated (I am) that to work Friday (and beyond) you’ll need to show a negative test (good for 72 hrs). Soooo guys who aren’t vaccinated found out yesterday, that rapid tests sell out in a matter of minutes and there are NONE in town. Well how does that effect me?  Well this Friday there are going to be several guys who can’t show up for work. If they can’t show up for work, then Friday is not my day off and I have to show up. I’ve already conceded that I’m working Friday, BUT I shave a couple of rounds of vacation coming up for hunting season. Going to make it perfectly clear that nothing is going to impact my hunting. I’m leaving at the end of December anyways, leaving mid October doesn’t bother me a bit. 

I think I am taking the first week of November off to hunt the early veteran's hunt. However, I do have a spot where I have wi-fi. So, I may just take my laptop and work from the stand.

LB2

6 EZ predawn miles this morning under a dark, star-filled sky.  It was pretty. I think I'm feeling the benefits of having been at and exercising at elevation for over a week.  Too bad it'll soon go away.

There's a young cat that I assume lives in one of the houses a couple of blocks from us. The corner I believe it lives on can be pretty busy with traffic. It came running up to me this morning in the dark wanting to be petted. It's really sweet. Being a huge cat lover and seeing as how we lost 3 of our cats last year (we have 2 left), it's taking everything I have to not pick this cat up and take it home before it gets hit by a car, but I've been admonished by The Hub that I'm not allowed to steal anyone's cat. 

QOTD: British crime dramas.  Love them!  We've gotten hooked on a few, and are currently watching "Unforgotten."  We started the series on vacation and binge-watched the 2nd season.  The acting is amazing, and the 2nd season just rung me out emotionally.

I haven't watched any, but it seems that almost all the movies coming out lately either have have too much damm violence in them or are over sexualized.  What happened to great scripts and acting . . . like the olden days??

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dhuffman63

Trails

I've found that the movies coming out lack originality...it's the same damn thing where they just rehash the same tired ideas.  I've found I watch more of the "kids" ones like Moana and the new one about the water dragon.  Course any with dragons I'll give a go.  I'll watch the new Bond but not sure when cause you won't catch me in a theater any time soon.

runtraildc

Hi all. Still in MN but leaving shortly. Still haven't run in almost two weeks BUT I did just return from a couple miles in the woods hiking.  I'll be back to running tomorrow. Or Saturday.  I am still getting in my daily burpees and I'm noticing a difference in my strength and especially core. I am also doing fewer 'modified' burpees, which is the goal.

QOTD: British crime dramas.  Love them!  We've gotten hooked on a few, and are currently watching "Unforgotten."  We started the series on vacation and binge-watched the 2nd season.  The acting is amazing, and the 2nd season just rung me out emotionally.

Same here! I just started season 2 and might binge the rest this weekend and next week. I am not a big fan of Dave Chappelle's recent work. Too many of his jokes are at the expense (and offense) of other people, but seems to have a really thin skin when the jokes or comments are turned on him.

Sandy-2

Yesterday I rode the bike 10 mi, still logging the miles for the virtual thing.  It's so much easier to quickly bang out 10 miles on the bike rather than running.  It's still in the upper 80s here so I have to take a shower after riding (it's really hard for me to go slow on the MTB so I need a shower afterwards).  I will run 10 miles later today though, it's raining so it might feel cooler (yes, I'll still need a shower     ).

qotd (yesterday): vacations of a week to 10 days are usually enough. You need a little time to wind down at the start and then the last day is spent fitting the last minute things in before leaving - it's the middle part that you need to maximize.

qotd (today): I just started to read the book " 1972 " written by a friend Steve. My DW and I met Steve and family when we were living in Korea the first time way back in the 1980s.  Back then most of the expats living in Busan either worked in engineering (like me in shipbuilding) or like Steve who worked in apparel (he worked for Nike). We hung out with the "Nike guys" alot, going to parties, on Hash House Harrier runs, I played on the Nike softball team, etc.  Turns out he just wrote a book about being an all American runner (half miler) at Oregon, the start up of Nike, and some other historical Nike stuff. Anyway, I'm only about 20 pages into it, but so far I really like it.

tbd.

XtremeTaper

I thought my bank account was thriving today. Site reported about $2000 more in my account than my quicken log showed. I sat there looking at it for 15-20 minutes. Could not find any major differences. Logged off the bank site and back on.. voila' the money is gone and the balances are the same. Bummer. Thought they gave me a bonus.

A real slog last night out at the lake, 5 miles. Sort of expected after good b2b runs this week. Sun is finally out here today and it is warm. Run plans? Might just head up the local trail. Game time decision.

QOTD: NCIS Hawaii. My wife watches all those shows. Some of them are ok, but this one I fall asleep every time before it ends. It seems to be an excuse to have semi-attractive people run around chasing bad guys in a Hawaii. Oh, and of course they have a female lesbian character. Not even sure if that is the right term. Not that I care one way or the other but it seems a bit disingenuous. Thumbs down, but I guess I will be watching again (DVR) next week. Ha!

In dog beers, I've only had one.