Trailer Trash

Tuesdaily (Read 15 times)

runtraildc

I don't have a catchy name, but I do have some catch up to do. Haven't run since right before xmas, but did get some winter hiking in until I caught covid. Nearly asymptomatic (runny nose, a couple of sinus headaches), but now DH and DS have light symptoms. DS2, the one who had it in Oct is negative, so he's been trying to get to his program in AZ. The DC area snowstorm put the kibosh on that yesterday and right now he's sitting on a plane, hoping it will take off. Too stressed and otherwise occupied to get out for a run. That was supposed to be today but the runny nose is back since before the weekend! Ugh, but I need to remind myself that this very mild case is the win from being vaccinated and boostered.

qotd: Things on the upswing? Or downswing? HaHa-- In addition to the above, we also had our smoker short out and start a fire before xmas. It burnt part of our deck, but fortunately we had the nearby fish pond to help put out the fire. We are delaying our Puerto Rico trip, thankfully we had not made any financial commitments. So, I'm going with upswing after the past couple of weeks. What can I say? I'm an optimist.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

4 miles skiing yesterday with DW and Tiny Elvis- snow was really nice and while breezy, the temps were into the 30's.  Sadly the 30's are done here today our high will be back in the single digits today and tonight well below zero- we have a windchill warning today through Thursday with windchills of -30 to -40 

soooo- will hit the dreadmill today and likely tomorrow 

qotd yesterday- setting a goal of 2022 miles, barring injury I think it's doable; have several long trips in the works, so that bumps the mileage up pretty quickly; also want to hit the strength training more regularly

qotd- definitely an upswing with starting retirement 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

4 yesterday up at the local trail. The snowstorm that hit the mid Atlantic completely missed us so while it was chilly and cold not too bad. About 20 this morning for the dog walk. Not complaining after reading Warden's temps. Today? Looks like I will need to sneak in a run between conference calls this afternoon so something short on the road or local trail.

QOTD: Downswing. Not a severe one, but just returning from trip down south and back to work, the colder weather looms, back to work routine, etc.

runtrail - Glad your covid case is mild. Our trip down south we played it lowkey but had one get together outside our "bubble" with SIL, BIL, and their grandkids that raised a mild red flag as the kids had recent sniffles but we were told everyone was recently tested so we just decided to live life. Plus it was all outside.

Warden - Good luck with 2022 miles. Crazy, I just checked my log from last year and my running miles were 1373, walk miles 648 for a total of 2021. That was not a goal and a total random thing.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

^ nicely done XT! 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Today is the first day of work this year, but then again I was on-call over last weekend and that included yesterday, so I basically worked the whole day yesterday. We were supposed to go back into the office today, but that 'return to office' date was pushed back to at least February.  We're basically on hold and still working from home.  FYI, cases are currently spiking down here in TX, fortunately we don't have a corresponding spike in deaths and hopefully it'll stay that way.

runtrail - yikes, very glad you had a mild case.

I took a planned rest day yesterday and the plan is to run 5 mi after work today.

qotd - yesterday: the plan is to get into prime running shape between now and July. Lot's of miles, lots of core/back stuff and lot's of stair climbing at the gym.  Hardrock looms.

qotd today: we're at a bit of a downswing because we have to cancel a trip North next week.  Between the Covid crap, airline cancelations, snow storms, etc. we're pulling the plug. We're postponing the trip until the Spring, but we'll miss the huge family gathering that is happening next week in PA. Running-wise as mentioned in the qotd above I'm starting to ramp up the base so in that area there's a bit of an upswing.

tbd.

My cats woke me up at 3:45, and since I had planned on getting up at 4:30, I just went with it.  So, 5 predawn miles this morning "at a slightly harder than normal pace" (per my coach), with 6 x 30 sec strides toward the end.  I was lucky that I got in just as it was started to sprinkle.

WC - I think I missed the part about you getting a pacemaker.  Do they think that heart issues might have contributed to the balance problems you were (are?) having?

MT - Pretty pics!  That's a lot of snow.

dc - Hope you feel better soon.  Glad it's a mild case of CV.

One of our attorneys, who just came back from a two-week visit with his new wife in Mexico (long story - been working on getting a "fiance visa" for months), has CV.  He was in the office very briefly yesterday getting his computer, etc., so he can work from home.  Our dept secretary, who, after 8 years of trying, is finally pregnant - with a high risk pregnancy - went into meltdown mode yesterday morning when she found out he has it and was in the office.  I had to remind her that (1) she wasn't anywhere near him, (2) he was wearing a mask the short while he was in the office and she's wearing a mask, (3) she wasn't anywhere near him, and (4) she wasn't anywhere near him.  Oy vey!

QOTD: For me, everything is neutral.  For The Hub, he's in a down swing.  His job is weather-dependent and he can't work when it rains.  This always throws him into a funk.  I do my best to be sympathetic and supportive, but sometimes it's just about all I can do to not go all Cher on him, smack him in the face, and yell, "Snap out of it!" 

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

WC - I think I missed the part about you getting a pacemaker.  Do they think that heart issues might have contributed to the balance problems you were (are?) having?

You didn't miss anything.  I only recently mentioned it.  They think it was behind the syncope (aka fainting) episodes I've had after a few races.  The connection between that and the balance problems is that falling hitting my head when fainting was likely a contributing factor.  Ironically the Eliquis blood thinner that I'm taking has dizziness as a side effect.  BTW hope that you never need to take Eliquis. It's outrageously expensive even with insurance.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.