Trailer Trash

My RWOL Rant (Read 367 times)

Occasional Runner

Please take some time and read this blog post when you get a chance. I'm sending it out to the RW advertisers that spend money to put banners up in the forums. I'm also sending this right to the editorial staff at RW. 

It would be great if you guys could do the same. I don't want to drag you into a bunch of shit, but numbers matter to advertisers.

Thanks.

http://slippingslowlyintopain.blogspot.com/2012/11/runners-world-lessons-yet-to-be-learned.html

Wandering Wally

Nicely put.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

jonferg67

Endless trails

Well written, Kelly.

I'm halfway through the list of advertisers, I just wrote a brief explanation and copy/pasted

to each company. 

Thanks for your efforts.

Jon

Occasional Runner

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

AT-runner

Tim

Seems like you summed it up pretty well.  Thought you might of included a picture for Sanguine*Soul.  

We joke every issue of RW about "oh look another picture of a girl in a jog bra or a guy without a shirt".  Plus the guy writing the newbie running articles has been running longer than you and you've done like 2000 miles of racing in that time.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Occasional Runner

Seems like you summed it up pretty well.  Thought you might of included a picture for Sanguine*Soul.  

We joke every issue of RW about "oh look another picture of a girl in a jog bra or a guy without a shirt".  Plus the guy writing the newbie running articles has been running longer than you and you've done like 2000 miles of racing in that time.

Uhhhh....if somebody has an actual picture of Sanguine*Soul, I'll post it. Hell, I would settle on a name. 

AT-runner

Tim

Uhhhh....if somebody has an actual picture of Sanguine*Soul, I'll post it. Hell, I would settle on a name. 

I meant "picture", like one of the spam crew.  Could be a "pic" of an overworked soccer mom who is driving while texting, with a copy of the RW on the dashboard and a 5K sticker on the bumper.  

OK, that was uncalled for.  I did not mean to upset any 5K runners.

dpc3

I meant "picture", like one of the spam crew.  Could be a "pic" of an overworked soccer mom who is driving while texting, with a copy of the RW on the dashboard and a 5K sticker on the bumper.  

OK, that was uncalled for.  I did not mean to upset any 5K runners.

God dammit where is that moderator when you need one!

Occasional Runner

I'll research the picture archives and see what I can find. That would be pretty hilarious. 

Does anyone actually click on those ad banners?   While traffic is probably at an all time high for page loads, actual click revenue has to be down.  

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

AT-runner

Tim

God dammit where is that moderator when you need one!

Smile

OK,  I apologize to the soccer people too!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I loved the pictures.  Looks like many many people jumped ship.  They lost a bunch of people from the beginners Forum.  Lace - you may want to post your report in the BF and the Rant and Rave.  Not so sure anyone cares about a few trail runners leaving.  If I get some time I will go to the advertiser's sites and complain.  Thanks for the time you put into this. 

Oh and even my DW would comment each month about how the covers of RW all look the same - and she doesn't read it or care to read it.  Needless to say I got rid of my sunscription even at $1 an issue it is not worth it. 

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I arrived at RW at about the time of the bannings...so I feel like a "less biased" party to everything that has happened.

Hitting the advertisers on the website is a really good plan of attack...they have the money, they have the power.  If you would like to recruit more people, there's a RW Begginer's forum refugee group also.  Its plenty full of pissed off individuals who would help you out (thanks for the advertiser's list...thats gonna happen!).

One note of caution...I would leave the whole banning escapade out of anything you send to advertisers.  It does help to build a case for repeated RW neglect, but I think it also discredits you.  If that blog ended up on my desk, I would read it and say "some trouble maker is trying to stir up more trouble".  The mass exodus from the RW Forums is what the advertisers will care about, its a separate issue, and I believe it is a big enough deal to stand on its own.

My $0.02...

**Ask me about streaking**

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Kelly, I finally got a chance to read this.

I agree with Jamezilla.  As much as it pissed me off that we got banned for no reason, advertisers care much more about the fact that there was a mass exodus than a moderator treating us like crap.

Anyway, great post.  RWOL can go kick my ass.  I'm done with that shitty website.  I just wish all of my history wasn't over there. 

Running is dumb.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Kelly, I finally got a chance to read this.

I agree with Jamezilla.  As much as it pissed me off that we got banned for no reason, advertisers care much more about the fact that there was a mass exodus than a moderator treating us like crap.

Anyway, great post.  RWOL can go kick my ass.  I'm done with that shitty website.  I just wish all of my history wasn't over there. 

Haha.  Mandy - are you claiming defeat to RW???

My favorite day of the week is RUNday