Trailer Trash

Thoroughly Thursday (Read 17 times)

LB2

I'll get out for about 3 miles at about 7AM. I woke up at 3AM this morning and caught up on emails from yesterday and got an early start on the day. It has been a busier week than I expected with meetings. I'll get outside about 6:15 this morning to see if I can locate a turkey either in front of the house or behind the house. I saw some evidence of pigs yesterday afternoon when I took a little stroll through the woods next to the house, but they seem to be sort of passing through and not staying. I hope they keep moving on.

NH: I hope you continue to improve. That Covid knocked me back a lot more than I expected. I felt fine for what I would call "day-to-day activities" like work after a couple of weeks, but it took a little longer before I was back up to par on running. However, I think that was because I was preoccupied with work and planning spring hunting trips, the latter of which has been scaled back a lot due to these ridiculous gas prices. We are going to Oklahoma again, not Nebraska.

QOTD: What is the price of fuel in your area and how has it impacted your near term travel plans?

• Gas is at $4 per gallon pretty much everywhere, and diesel is bumping $5 per gallon. My daughter in Denver is paying $3.91. But she sent me a picture of a price where we used to live, about 20 minutes from me and 24 hours from her, with a price of $4.25 for gas and $5.29 for diesel. I'd say that is price gouging, which isn't surprising at that place.

• We scaled out Nebraska trip in late May back to Oklahoma in early May. It was going to cost us over $1000 in fuel to get to and from Nebraska. We would have to do a fair amount of driving around up there to get to all the spots if we didn't find birds in decent numbers at the first spot, but in Oklahoma, we know the property pretty well and it is big enough for all three of us to hunt without burning to much gas from the camp site.

LB2

XtremeTaper

5 miles with Baker last night on the hills of Coventry Woods. Cold, about 36 degrees with light drizzle. We did not feel the rain in the woods. On the top of the ridge, there was a light covering of snow in the woods. I guess it is colder 400 feet up there. Plan for today is 4-5 out at the lake. Should be nicer... sunny and 50's today.

QOTD: I saw anywhere from $4.45-$4.55 yesterday. Diesel well over $5. It was around $4.29 when I got home from FL on Sunday. So far no impacts with travel plans, but then again we just returned from a long road trip.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

NorthernHarrier

Thanks LB. It is somewhat frustrating dealing with this. Despite being vaxxed and boosted this thing lingers. I can still function so it could be a whole lot worse.

May go snowshoe running tonight or get restless and hit the bike path shortly for a little more efficient running. Did get a nice rowing session last night while watching Ukranians getting slaughtered on CNN. What a world. 

QOTD--yesterday it ranged from $4.04 to $4.25 around here. Diesel was I believe about $5.79. As it continues this trajectory I'll have to look at my own upcoming plans. If there is a good note to this it will keep a lot of the tourons from coming up here this summer though the area businesses will no doubt be hurt.

Sandy-2

I ran early yesterday, a nice morning.  Today I slept in and I may not be able to run after work today, we'll see.

NH - hope you are feeling better soon.

qotd (yesterday): nothing new lately.

qotd (today): the lowest I saw today was $3.89 .  I filled up this morning and it was a record high total, over 30 bucks.  My Civic averages about 35mpg (that includes my 78 mph jaunt on the super highway to/from work) so the tank is pretty small.

tbd.

Spent the last two days in London, a mini vacation within our vacation. Today is our last day tootling around Ireland.  Flying home on Friday.   Good runs in both places. Will post some pics when I’m back on my laptop.  

QOTD: in Ireland, gas (petrol) is about 1.90 euro per liter, which is about 8.60 euro per gallon, which is about US $9.50 per gallon.  (If I did all the math right.) 

Fatozzig can tell me what gas costs in CA now.  I’m assuming it’s over $5. 

We mostly drive an electric car.  Road trips take a little longer with charging stops, but we’re not usually in that much of a hurry.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

dhuffman63

Trails

qotd: around where I drive in OK it ranges from $3.59 for the E10 to $4.13 for pure gas.  Diesel runs about $4.49 and up.  Funny thing is the higher prices sure aren't changing the fact that people won't slow down and do the speed limit.  Out here I can see owning a truck, we have one for the farm but it's not the main vehicle.  People in Tulsa and the suburbs have no real reason to own a truck and the ones who bitch the loudest are the worst drivers.

LB2

qotd: around where I drive in OK it ranges from $3.59 for the E10 to $4.13 for pure gas.  Diesel runs about $4.49 and up.  Funny thing is the higher prices sure aren't changing the fact that people won't slow down and do the speed limit.  Out here I can see owning a truck, we have one for the farm but it's not the main vehicle.  People in Tulsa and the suburbs have no real reason to own a truck and the ones who bitch the loudest are the worst drivers.

We figure gas will be about the same in Oklahoma as it is in Louisiana and east Texas (excluding Dallas and Houston). Honestly, we love going to sw Oklahoma; it is like going back in time to around 1986. There is a gas station in Temple, OK that has some of the best gas station corn dogs on earth.

LB2

I slept in, so nothing for me.  Maybe a walk or stationary bike ride after work.  We'll see.

QOTD: The 2 least expensive places for gas are Costco - $5.50 reg, $5.89 prem, and Renner - $5.59 reg, $5.69 prem.  If you want to go with name gas stations (i.e., Shell), it's $5.99 reg, $6.19 mid, $7.19 diesel.  There places in Central and Southern California where regular is over $7.00 a gallon.

If prices don't go down, I don't know if we'll go on our vacation in September.  For now, though, we're expecting The Hub to have monthly gas bills of at least over $600, between his work truck and his equipment.  And that's not an expense we can pass on to his clients without losing some of them. 

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of Nothing

Sue

5.5 mile hike..   Take every other day off from running....so I can increase with no pain.  

qotd:  I think we are at $4.20...we have one gas station that is always ten cent lower than the rest....even when gas was $2.09 when I moved here 12/20.  I thought about gas prices and flight prices but decided I could be dead any day now so just do what you need to do to enjoy life.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Bailed on a tempo run early.  Just as well since I'm supposed to be tapering.

QOTD:  Regular is $4.45.9, diesel is $5.45.9.  I may rethink running the Alexander County 6-hour race in NC.  Haven't registered yet, since I wanted to see how the Pistol 50K went first.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Sandy-2

No finishers again this year.

https://runningmagazine.ca/trail-running/barkley-marathons-ends-with-no-finishers-again/

tbd.