Trailer Trash

GatsbyBird’s Hallucination 100 (101.5) RR (Read 45 times)

Back story: After many years of saying that I had no need to do a 100 mile race, that I enjoyed other distances just fine, and that it wasn’t on my radar, that changed on 1/1/19 when I signed up for the Hallucination 100 at Run Woodstock Festival. Why? I can recall 6 reasons: Lisa (MyMomRuns) signed up for it as her first 100; she’s very persuasive; I’m easy to persuade; race logistics would be relatively easy since it’s a loop course and I could piggyback on MMR’s support crew; I found a $5 off coupon; and if not now, then when? So, this would be my first 100.

My Run Woodstock posse: me, MMR (100m, later changed to 100k), BerthaSlayer (100k), KatS (crew), “A” (MMR’s sig other), and Buzzie (pacer, originally signed on for one loop, stayed for three!). A late addition was pacer Jamie, who I found at the last minute via the Run Woodstock FB page (I totally lucked out there, he was great).

Training: My plan was generally based on the Ultra Ladies “Run Your First 100” model, which includes 2 rest days per week. I moved some of the plan’s long runs so that I could do local races as supported training runs.  I often (usually) fell short on the back-to-back long run weekends, where I’d do the first big run but not the second. Need to improve on that for my next 100 (see how I slipped that in?). I also did 2 days of strength training per week, which was new for me and helped a lot with leg and core strength.

The course: 6 x 16.6 mile loops in Pinckney, MI, with a variety of terrain: single track, rail trail, dirt roads, sand, and wooden boardwalks. Per the race website, 7800' vert (my watch conked out early so I can't confirm).  No big killer climbs (compared to races out here, anyway), but near-constant up and down, plus stretches of overgrown grass and sand, and lots of rooty things to stub your toes on. And you do it six times, hence a feeling of “death by 1000 cuts.” Besides seeing your crew every loop, there were three aid stations (“Gracie” then “Richie” then back to Gracie then back to the S/F). You’d think that multiple loops would also make it easier to navigate since you see the course so many times. Umm, well, more on that in a minute.

Race day: The 100 started at 4 pm on Friday. A little odd, but I could see the logic. The course is 6 loops, so you run one loop in the daylight and then you head out for your night loops while you’re still relatively fresh. Although sleeping in and kicking around for several hours pre-race was a bit weird, it gave us plenty of time to grab prime parking spots and set up our canopy tent, gear, snacks, and coolers right along the course in the S/F area. Then we went back to A’s house to chill for a few hours (very short drive away). Later that day, we got our bibs, attended a short pre-race briefing, listened to Jimi’s rendition of the national anthem, and then we were off. I was eyeing the other runners at the starting line, looking for GatorEye’s gray hat, when I noticed a guy had scrawled on his arm with a sharpie “THIS IS WHAT YOU CAME FOR.” That became my mantra.

Loop 1: A slow conga line start for us folks in the back, on a single track horse trail. Fine by me, not in any rush. Gradually settled into a slow and steady pace, with more walking than normal, under the theory that “if you would walk it at mile 90, you should walk it earlier too.” Became acquainted with the different sections of the course. Humid, warm-ish but largely overcast.

Loop 2: Now it’s dark. Thanks to KatS and A, I quickly re-filled my water and grabbed my headlamp, flash light, extra batteries, a packable jacket. This night loop was fun and peaceful with amazing night sounds. I went slowly, maybe too slowly? But I also didn’t want to trip and fall. People were much more spread out on the course now. Cool-ish (maybe low 50s?) but I never needed the jacket. When nearing the S/F, I encountered the “Far Out 5k” runners, which was billed as a race with a “natural” option. I high-fived several naked and near-naked runners.

Loop 3: Cleaned the sand and grit from my feet, changed my socks, and refilled pack. Pacer Jamie was there and ready to go. He’s from the area, has done the race, and knew the course. Nice to pass the time chatting, especially after we discovered a mutual dislike of Univ. of Michigan football.

Loop 4: Still dark. My next pacer, Buzzie, was there and ready to go -- fresh off of a 48-hour run at the Dome (!). She has also done this race and was a wealth of info and problem-solving acumen. I met GatorEye during this loop and shouted hello, on one of the stretches where there’s two-way traffic. I was on way back and he was going out for loop 5. Ankle, knees, and feet were starting to ache now. Got stung by a bee. And I made a big error on the 2nd half of this loop. Although I had been at the intersection several times before, I missed a turn sign at the base of a bush and made a beeline for flags on the other side of the dirt road. So, instead of turning right down the road and heading back, I crossed the road and repeated a section that I had just done. Felt dejected but I shook it off once we were back on course. I still had some time, right? And it could have been much worse, right? I did about 1.5 bonus miles but didn’t repeat the entire second half of the loop. But, I wasted about 20-30 minutes of time with the extra mileage and figuring out what happened.

Loop 5: With the efficiency of an Indy 500 pit crew, Buzzie helped my clean my feet, change my shoes and socks, swap out some gear., and re-fill my water.  We got out of the S/F only 4 min before the cutoff. That meant only 10 hours for the last 2 loops. My anxiety was building, the sun was out, and it was hot and humid. Some parts of the course annoyed me now (looking at YOU, rail trail). I was tired of eating, although my stomach was doing fine. My back and bra-line were chafing. My left ankle was sore and I was having trouble running downhill. Nothing specific had happened to it, just pounding the trail for lots of miles. Same with my feet and knees, not injured but getting more and more achy. I took an Aleve and a caffeine pill, which helped a lot. I was too tired and anxious to talk so I just kept my eyes on the trail and tried to run as much as possible, left-right, left-right, watching for roots, looking for ribbons, trying to remember to eat and drink, and tuning out aches, pains, and doubts. Reminded myself: This is what you came for.  Ugh.

Loop 6: Grabbed my lights again because it would get dark about halfway through this loop. I saw Moonlight at the S/F and we chatted briefly on the way up to the aid station. Buzzie had agreed to run this loop too (funny enough, when I asked her during loop 5 if she could stay, I was about to miss another turn… ). We had picked up some time on the last loop and left the S/F with 13 minutes before the cutoff. But still, hardly much cushion. I had to do this loop in about 5 hours to make the 10 pm race cutoff. And I was tired and sore, and it would be getting dark. I had a brief pity party around mile 88, on a section where I could see the runners coming back from their last loop, who were almost done, whereas I had most of a loop ahead of me. I saw GatorEye again here, as he was finishing his last loop. I hollered something about me being last place (not certain but I think I might have been), and he hollered back something about it being a badge of honor (I think?) and it cheered me up to see a friendly face. It got dark with about 8 miles to go. I worried about slowing down. Things were still achy, but it didn’t seem any worse when running and even loosened up a bit, so that’s what I tried to do. I passed a few people. With about 4 miles to go, Buzzie mentioned we were probably safe but a little more urgency might be good. That fired up something in my mind – no way was I going to miss the final cutoff after coming this far.  So I took off as fast as I could (all relative at this point, right?).  Then ran up the last two hills (hut hut hut!) to the finish line.  Almost cried seeing all the people still out there cheering on the finishers.  This is what I came for.  Finally.

Conclusion: Finished in 29:49:38, 95th place, and the last official finisher. 58% finish rate (95/163).

Things I learned (I’m sure there will be more): Good pacers are invaluable (thank you Buzzie and Jamie). Good imaginary running friends are the best (MMR, KatS, BerthaSlayer, and A). Loop courses can have some nice advantages. Need to train to be a faster, stronger walker. Need to think more about pacing (how much walking, when to conserve energy, when to pick it up). Always have a course map with you, even if just a screenshot (which I did, fortunately). Clean feet are happy feet.  Eating/hydrating routine worked fine, but adding more protein was a good idea (PBJ, chips, pretzels [but too dry to eat later], turkey, beef jerky [but too hard to chew later], bananas, oranges, grapes, almonds, Coke, Gatorade, and water in pack). Lube early, lube often. Be efficient at aid stations and don’t get distracted by well-meaning friends and others (Sandy, you were right about getting through the S/F as quickly as possible).

Final personal inventory: Left ankle is still puffy and sore, maybe tendinitis, doesn't seem to be structural so I'm not too worried about it. Calves have developed some DOMS, but I think they’ll loosen up if I keep moving. I will lose a toenail or two but feet are fine otherwise, no blisters. Everything else feels fine, although strangely, I’m not hungry.  I’m sure I’ll be back to eating ALL THE FOOD like usual sometime soon.

Postscript: Yes, I will probably do another one. No, I don’t know what it will be.

Starting line:

Our tent:

The S/F area, with the road we ran down to exit for each loop.  The finish arch and stage are in the back of the pic:

A very green course:

So glad to be done.

Splits:

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

AT-runner

Tim

So happy for you.  Funny how $5 can force you into a 100 miler. Your lessons learned are just about the same as everyone else. I remember John. M telling me to practice walking with a purpose. Now I finally do that and it helps.

Good luck with the recovery.

No Group Picture?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

moonlightrunner

LOVE THE PIC IN THE HAT! Congratulations. It was so nice to meet you. Great race report.  I cant imagine doing those 6 loops...you have amazing tenacity. If I ever did a hundred miler I think it would need to be point to point.  I just am not sure I could get myself away from the start finish 6 times.

Have a great recovery.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Way to go Gatsby!  What an accomplishment- you've joined a very prestigious club with only handful of members

For your very first hundred, sounds like to me, you had things dialed in pretty damn well Smile

Hope your recovery is swift.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Really great job on your 1st hondo!!!!  Congratulations!!!!  Sounds like you had the full experience. You certainly made it exciting for us “watching”, I was getting soooo nervous about the cutoffs.  Glad my little text about getting in and out of the S/F was helpful. That is the tough spot on a loop course, it can burn up time due to distractions and it’s mentally challenging to get out on the next loop, to say the least. Taking that wrong turn on loop 4 with the bonus miles could not have been fun either.

Thanks for the great RR and photos.  You made it sound easy which shows that you were well prepared.  Well done and recover well.

So do I dare say it? Is ws next?

tbd.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

awesome Gatsby! nice work! this is inspiring for me = dont quit! this is what you came for!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Gator eye

Great write up Gatsby.

I do owe you and Moon a big apology. I meant to clean up alittle, change clothes and wait for you at the finish line but fell asleep in my truck. I woke up at midnight and the party was over. I’m very sorry I missed your finish, it sounded epic!

The 4 im the afternoon start turned out to be a big factor in this race

dhuffman63

Trails

Congratulations again...wonderful first 100 for you...support is critical I think for a good experience and you had the best.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Amazing and inspiring!  Similar to Queen's hundo last year, you made it sound easy.  I know it wasn't but ...

You need to post the buckle shot.  I forget who started that but it's a selfie while holding your buckle in front of your mouth.  (Someone should start a specific thread, and pin it, for those shots.)

I am hoping next year is my year for my first...but we'll see.  Maybe I need the coupon and friend nudging to help! 

Well done Gatsby!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

Pop. Glug. Clink. Cheers. Well done Gatsby. The splits are good. You really kept at it to stay under the cutoffs. The 4pm start time is interesting. I guess it's not much worse (perhaps better) than a 4-5am start where you only get a few hours of fitful sleep anyways. Good planning by the RD that you got to do a loop in the light. The transition from dusk to night in the 100's was always my favorite part, though to be honest I was never a good night runner on the trail. Naked runners at night? Sure you were not hallucinating? LOL. Congrats again and welcome to the club!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

runtraildc

Great race and congratulations! (and you, too, Gator. I hope you had a good nap at the end!).

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Crap! I want to do that run just for the peace sign belt buckle!   Great job Gatsby....I knew you could do this!  Loops...hmmm...

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Now what were MMR's persuasive arguments so I'll have a solid rebuttal ready if anyone tries them on me?

I didn't know Buzzie was going to be there.  She's been at D3 with me a couple years.  I'll have to check on BerthaSlayer.  She's part of the NC 24 group I meet up with there. And I think MMR is the same Lisa on my Miles Game team, not to be confused with the 2019In2019 game.  Hope you'll consider more loop races, though my favorites are all on much smaller loops.  I wondered why the one loop was so much slower and how you were able to speed up again.  Seemed to be amazing consistency in your loop times otherwise compared to what I've heard about second half slowdowns in 100M races. A big congratulations!

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Very impressive.

how hot did it get during the day?

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Thanks, all.  Having a bit of a fun hangover now that I'm back to the mundane with no running adventures on the calendar.

Tom1961, it wasn't THAT hot, maybe upper 70s?  But because I'm from coastal NorCal, anything over 70 is hot, especially if it's humid.  I heard we really lucked out with the weather.  Some years it's been stormy, other years it's been really hot and humid.

WC, I'm definitely more of a fan of loop courses than I was before.  But they have to be BIG loops.

Queen, MI is your home turf -- why not do it?  Keep your eyes peeled for a discount code around the holidays and you'll be all set.

Gator, don't apologize for going to sleep.  You had just run 100 miles!

AT, sorry no pics ....

Sandy, I don't have any secret back-door into WS, but you bet I'll be entering the lottery (and also my running club's lottery, for the guaranteed entry we get for doing the aid station).  But I really can't imagine doing something that hard, now that my body knows what 100 miles feels like.

Because Queen started it, and because Dr. J asked:

(And wearing my newest, favoritest hoodie!)

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR