Trailer Trash

Another Wet Wednesday (Read 13 times)

LB2

Ran about 5.5 this morning. It was very slow and easy. I saw a gobbler and one other turkey. I think it was a young gobbler (jake). My father in law came out and saw them, too. I rode back down there and it looks like it was one big gobbler and 3 jakes.

QOTD: Do people do much in the way of controlled burns in your area?

They don't do as much as they should down here, but I try to do as much as I can on places I have access to. I love being in woods that are regularly burned. I am not talking about wildfires; I am talking about controlled burns for forest management.

LB2

45 min of stationary biking, followed by 40 min of core/ST.  I'll be happy when it's warm enough to do the bike cross training on my road bike.

QOTD: Not that I'm aware of, but our forests have been badly managed for years, one of the reasons we have such horrible forest fires.

Speaking of forests, a friend lives outside the Sacramento area.  She posted a photo on FB last week showing the damage some beetle had done in two months to 24 trees in her back yard.  The trees had to be removed.  Crazy.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

going to get out here pretty soon for a few trail miles with TE; windy as hell so have to pick an area where we're not overly exposed

qotd: they've been doing a bunch of thinning in and around Helena; they cut up/stack the trees that are taken down- give them a year so and then burn them during the winter.  We had a fire (looked to be intentional- possibly kids) on Mt Helena with really high winds, could have been absolutely devastating, but the area had recently been thinned (and the slash burned) so they were able to get a handle on it before it got out of hand

here's a pic I took last week  on the trails of slash piles getting burned

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Did 5 easy miles this morning. It was warmer than yesterday. Yuk.

qotd: not right near us. But up in the Sam Houston National forest (Huntsville State Park and the Lone Star Trail), they do burns pretty often. In fact they have announced a few burns in the last few weeks. With all the rains we’ve been having I guess they are slow burns as mentioned by LB2 yesterday.

tbd.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

2.5 slog with Jackie...now I am out skiing...the sun is out...meeting my cousin later for night skiing. 

Qotd:  Nit here but in Nortgern CA they did.  

fatozigg:  We had about 15 die at once...one of the reasons we left CA.  Heard more have died and blown down on our old property.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runtraildc

Got in 5 speedy for me miles last night. Post-run beer at the brewery was as good as usual. No run today. Just some strength training and dogwalking.  It's gorgeous here-- no rain but sun! And 60 degrees. With the longer days on board, and more sun intensity I feel the worst of winter is behind us. We've also not had any snow, except for a dusting. Even here, that's unusual.

qotd: Not here. Prairies get burned in MN and it makes a huge difference in biodiversity, etc.. It's almost as if these ecosystems have evolved to be dependent on regular burns. Smile  I remember visiting Yellowstone in the winters in the decade after the big fires of 1988. Pretty interesting stuff, IMO

Beautiful day for a lunchtime walk with a former co-worker.  She's much shorter than me - I'm not sure she's even 5'0" and I'm 5'8" - so walking with her is more a stroll for me.  But it was a nice time, with my round trip from and back to the office, it's almost 2.5 miles, and we've decided to make it a weekly thing with another co-worker.

May be an image of nature, body of water and tree

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance