Trail Runners

Neo Trail Runners Extreme Team - NOV 2008 (Read 395 times)

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Greg, funny you should ask . . . I was going to ask you guys where I go from here. Do I go easy this week like I did the week before the race? Then start my normal routine again next week? Ultimately, I want to hold myself at this level or advance a small bit over the holidays. I am happy with a long run between 1.5 - 2 hours for now. I am thinking about a 1/2 marathon in late February or March, so I would pick up in January and build up to that distance in the first couple months next year. Oh, my "official" time was 2:00:31 and I came in 97/127. That's right, bottom third just like I thought. Leslie, please be careful out there. I can't give advice, but I want you to know I wish I could. I admire your strength and persistence and hope to reach your level someday. Listen to Kelly and Greg, the Force is strong with them. Thanks again guys! You are a big part of my success. Kitrin
      Ultimately, I want to hold myself at this level or advance a small bit over the holidays. I am happy with a long run between 1.5 - 2 hours for now. I am thinking about a 1/2 marathon in late February or March, so I would pick up in January and build up to that distance in the first couple months next year. Kitrin
      Sounds like you answered your own question. Just ease back into your running. Do what feels comfortable, and get back to pre race levels by the second week after returning to running. Just take this first week easy.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Greg, you are right in that I still have a goal ahead of me, but I am thinking that I need to change my routine a little in order to reach it. A couple things that I learned from this race: I really need to carry a bottle. I thought that the aid station halfway through the race would provide me enough liquid to finish. I finished, but I think I would have finished stronger if I had drank more. I struggled some of Saturday afternoon and Sunday with unquenchable thirst. It is time to start practice eating and drinking. I need more hill work. I struggled with the fact that the trail was rarely flat. This is exactly what I will face during the Auburn Tri (which is run on the Western States Trail in the American River canyon), except the grades will be steeper and longer. I am thinking of incorporating a workout every week at the local football stadium. I would jog a couple laps, then do all the stairs in the bleachers (both sides), then another couple laps. I would start at whatever is my "stop level" on the first workout and try to increase time from there. My ankles will take a beating on these trails. I thought that all my trail training would alleviate ankle problems from the race. My ankles were quite sore on Sunday and Monday. I need gaiters for my shoes. I wore my Injinjis, so no blisters or sores on the toes, but my shoe rubbed a raw spot under the outside of my ankle bone from something that was stuck in my sock or shoe there. I am in sandals now because all my shoes rub it. My goal in these races is to finish well, not just finish. This gave me a taste of what I am up against and I am a little paranoid. However, I do not want to over train and injure or burn out. I ran a very slow 2 miles today in warm weather. Everything felt fine, except those ankles. Still, I expect them to recover by next week, so I can get back on the routine. Kitrin
          Kitrin - nice report. Keep up the good work. Kelly - am I allowed to say i like your new pix? Leslie - I agree with Greg. In hot humid conditions, 32 oz of fluid just isn't enough over 2.5 hours. You probably could have doubled it. Something you have to experiment with. Everyone is different. I ran the Stone Cat Marathon this weekend. First marathon in 20 years and my first trail marathon ever. My race report is here if you're interested in reading it. http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/ I't's not much of a report. I guess I should have waited a few days to recover before writing it. I was so tried, I just wanted to write it as fast as possible and get it over with. Writing about running is not as fun AS running. At least for me.
          Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
            Hey, that's a good time for a trail marathon. Way to go.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Hey Leslie, I read this on your friend's blog about the Headlands 100: "I have a good technique for stair climbing that I find actually rests my legs so I finished the climb feeling good. " Do you think she will share her "technique" with me? Kitrin
                I read Kate's report a while back. It's fantastic. I don't think I could ever run that far!
                Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
                  Dan - Great job on the marathon! What an excellent finishing time! Your last 8 miles were reminiscent of mine at Susanville. I could definitely emphasize with the feelings of fatigue. Kitrin - Kate sometimes climbs hills sideways with the legs cross either in front or behind one another. This is probably what she does on stairs, as well, but I will confirm this with her and let you know. As far as hill work goes, you might consider dedicating one run a week to hill repeats. After a good warm up, find a hill that's about .10 to .20 long and run up it 5-10 times, depending on the length and incline. Try and keep your cadence to between 18-20 steps in 20 seconds (i.e., your left (or right) foot hits the ground 18-20 times in 20 seconds). If you can only do 5 repeats, then leave it at that until the next week and maybe try for another 1/2 to 1, slowly working your way up to 10. For me, I'm usually running 5-6 miles for hill repeats. I do a warm up run of about 15 minutes, do my hill repeats, then finish my run. Strength training for your legs will help immensely as well (i.e. squats, lunges, side squats). Strength training for your entire body will be a huge help. On the ultra list, I've received a couple of replies regarding trail running in Riverside. Am going to check the area out on the 'net. It sounds hopeful, though, which would go a long way toward my mental stability for the weekend. If it's not 15 miles on trails, then it's 15 miles on the treadmill Dead .

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Leslie-if you run 15 miles on a treadmill, I will be forever in awe. That idea is totally insane to me. Go run on the roads before a treadmill. Some trailless miles for a long run won't be the end of the world. Made a little more progress on my web site tonight and I'm the best Mom in the world because I finally got my kids some new clothes.
                    If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                    Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

I't's not much of a report.
                      Oldguy, Your report put my report to shame. Heck, you had a map and elevation profile and everything! I feel like such a novice. Undecided Congrats on your finish in the marathon. I know it is a little late, but better late than never (I hope). Marathons are still a long way off for me. Leslie, thanks for checking with Kate. I look forward to her response. Oh, and I agree with Kelly that 15 miles on a treadmill is NUTS! I plan to run tomorrow but do not have a planned distance. I guess I will see how I feel in the morning. I am fighting a headache that will not go away this week. While I was in Austin visiting the Hubby yesterday, we went to REI and I spent more money than I ever thought I would buying Injinjis, hydration belt, etc. I am committed now! Kitrin
                        Well, I was all excited about running in Riverside 'cause I'd been told by a couple of people on the ultra list of two places to run. One was definitely promising. ONLY PROBLEM IS . . . . . our flight out this a.m. was canceled late yesterday due to it being too foggy. The Eureka/Arcata Airport is one of the foggiest in the country. Pilots during WWII used this airport to practice landing and taking off in fog. But I digress . . . So we're suppose to show up at the airport late afternoon to fly out at 5:00 today. My big idea, then is to do my long run today since we won't be getting to Riverside 'til late tonight. Running a long run after an intense 6-mile hilly run the day before, and in sultry, humid conditions is a bad combination. Add to that the fact that my Garmin didn't' change the time when daylight savings began. So the run sucked and my legs were beat after about 12 miles AND I thought I was running (pun intended) an hour late. Anyway, get home, realize that next week's runs will go much better, finish packing, 1st friend picks me up at 3:00 to get to the airport, leave our car at 2nd friend's parent's house, and 2nd friend's husband takes the three of us to the airport. Get through security, sitting, sitting - OH!! FLIGHT CANCELED! Angry Everyone scrambling to get in line and rescheduled. We are now scheduled for tomorrow's 5:00 p.m. flight. If we can't get out tomorrow evening, we're not going, and I'll have to figure out how to get my handouts for my workshop down there. Will have to fax materials for others to copy, prepare, and stand guard at my workshop. I think that if we can't get out of here, the three of us should head up to Brookings, OR, for the weekend. We'd already planned to be gone, let's get the puck outta Dodge! Okay - I've rambled enough. . . . . I'm sleeping 'til noon tomorrow. Nothin' else to do.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Leslie, I have had my share of flight travel frustrations, so I feel your pain! I have my fingers crossed for you to be able to get out today. Today's trail run was great. It started great and stayed great the whole time. What a nice gift! I ran 1:04 and plan to do a long run on Sunday of at least 90 minutes. That will put me back on track. I purposely stayed on the flatter portions of the trail because I want to be fully recovered from my race before I start "working' again. However, I did not hold back my speed. I almost took a dive in a rocky area at the bottom of a small hill and I am grateful that I kept my balance. I really do not know how I did it. I should have gone down. Big sigh of relief for that. Here's wishing you all great runs this weekend! Kitrin

Ultrachick

Happy weekend Everyone! I think I might be in northern California with Leslieinstead of northern Vermont-it's been lightly raining since sometime last night and a fog has come in that I can barely see the backyard. Glad I got my run done early and did my long run today because it's not going to get any warmer by tomorrow. So a whopping 12 miles again but pain free IT bands which is an improvement. My hamstring-well that's still a pain right below my ass. I saw a new PT yesterday-I have a lot more strength training work ahead of me. Good news-with my run this morning, I've crossed over the 2400 miles for the year mark-woohoo! Shocked I'm also writing to post the linkto that article I mentioned before about not tapering-here it is... http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=14759 And if you truly have time to spare-this is the address to my new web site-http://trainingbykelly.com/ It's still a work in progress and any feedback will be appreciated. Miles of smiles to you all, Big grin Kelly
                              I'm also writing to post the linkto that article I mentioned before about not tapering-here it is...Kelly Kelley, I read the article and totally agree with it after my Stone Cat Maraton experience this past month. My training was going well and I had been feeling pretty go overall. I started the traditional 3 week taper for the marathon. I reduced the number of days running per week from 5 to 4 to 3. I also reduced my total weekly miles from 40-45 to 20-25 over the 3 weeks. By the second week of the taper I was feeling stale. I didn't has any 'pep in my step'. By race week I was feeling very slow during my trainnig runs. On race day I never really felt comfortable. I tired much sooner (around mile 16) than I did on my long training runs and was really out of gas by mile 20. Although I met my time goal for the race, I think I could have run faster if I didn't taper so long. I am planning to run a 50K on 1/10/09 and will use the "peaking" method explained in the article. I'll let you know how it works for me. Peace.

Ultrachick

Cool-good luck with it. God bless you for a 50k in January-I hope it's somewhere warm. That's ski season for me which I feel I missed training for Boston last April. So not this season! The first race I'm looking at is a half marathon in March.