Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly (Stop Lurking! Join In!) December 2009 (Read 497 times)

20.5 miles yesterday, 6.8 miles today.  Hoping to get 8-12 tomorrow. 

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Happy

Giving the treadmill a workout this weekend - doing some short fast running. Really enjoying the feeling of not having tired, heavy sore legs, feet and knees. Getting a lot of rest after the Marathon, some walking. Enjoying life - today, I wish I had the entire day to be outside on the trail it is sunny and cool - very beautiful. No snow, Y'all, this is The South.
      5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB
      Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Ran the HUFF 50K on Saturday.

It was a lovely day for a run 'round the reservoir - 32* and snowing the whole time.The course was snow-covered and slippery, getting more slippery with every loop. But, at least it wasn't muddy.

Unfortunately, it was not a lovely day for me. I won't say that the wheels came off, because they didn't. But, it did seem as if the wheels were square - a rough ride. Don't know why, but I never felt "good" - started out feeling like I hadn't run in weeks, and it only went downhill from there. I was slow. I was weak. I was heavy legged. I was out of rhythm.

So, I slogged it out. Met some neat people along the way. Remembered to enjoy the scenery when I was slowed to a walk. Thought positive thoughts. Ran when I thought I couldn't. And, finished the race.

It wasn't horrible; just not how I'd imagined the day would go. Glad I did it - it will serve me well.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Kalsarikännit

Sorry Huff didn't go well for you.  I did it as well, and loved it.  I think I was just happy because I have heard about the mud in previous years.  It was definitely pretty out there.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

...---...

For you peeps here in the southeast US, there's a cool trail fun run after Christmas. Details here:

Eleventh Hour Trail Fun Run

Maybe see some of you there...Hoping you're all having a great week and Happy Holidays!!

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Ostrich runner

I've heard lots of people had trouble at the HUFF this year.  I'm still awfully achey from Tecumseh and have only managed about 25 total in the last 2 weeks.  I'm going to try to get some pretty snowy trails in this afternoon, but I'm grudgingly contemplating taking a month to swim and bike.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Happy

Buzzie,

Sorry about that tough experience at HUFF; I like your description of running on square wheels - says it all!!!

I will repeat what Leslie said to me after my square wheels marathon last week end: "Way to gut it out, Buzzie". 

And it's great that you cared to share your experience with us - will there be a more in depth report anywhere or is it not worth going into details with it?!

WrigleyGirl - congrats on a great experience and a great race. I want to eat some of what you're eating!!! Race report anywhere???? Photos???? Mud?????

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Buzzie and WrigleyGirl - Good job on the 50k.  Buzzie - you had the right attitiude: If it's not going totally the way you wanted, at least sit back and enjoy the ride.

18 muggy, sweaty trail miles on Saturday, followed by 14 pouring rain road miles on Sunday.  For once, though, I felt good at the end of both runs.  Got the fuel and nutrition right - this time.  Have to start incorporating different foods into my Saturday runs so I can see what my gut is going tolerate.  I doubt very seriously that come AR50 I'm going to want to eat nothing but bananas and potatoes for 12+ hrs.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. HUFF may not have been a dreamy experience, but I think it was just what I needed - a swift kick.

We'll see whether I can make it pan out... I'm back on the wagon, with a more structured training plan.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Kalsarikännit

I've heard lots of people had trouble at the HUFF this year.  I'm still awfully achey from Tecumseh and have only managed about 25 total in the last 2 weeks. 

I thought that HUFF was easier than Tecumseh.  Even with the snow, it wasn't half as cold.  Plus, it is just some easy rolling hills.  Tecumseh is one tough race!  3500 ft of gain in Indiana?  Who says the midwest is flat? 

3500 ft of gain in Indiana?  Who says the midwest is flat? 

I'm from Indiana.  Born and raised there.  It's flat. 

Ostrich runner

Last week Russ Goodman did a 100 mile 27 hour double traverse of the Knobstone Trail which has double the elevation change per mile as the Tecumseh trail.  He did it as a "fun run." 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Kalsarikännit

Last week Russ Goodman did a 100 mile 27 hour double traverse of the Knobstone Trail which has double the elevation change per mile as the Tecumseh trail.  He did it as a "fun run." 

I always wonder how people are able to do "fun runs" like that.  Do they have a crew?  Stash supplies?  Filter their own water?

Glacial Trail 50 in Wisconsin (which is called Ice Age's nasty big brother) has 10,550 ft of gain over 50 miles.  It is nice and rocky, too.  I didn't think we had any of that in Illinois, but I hear McNaughton has some us and downs.

Funny.... Russ is a friend of mine... you know him too?  Small world!

100 miles + 27 hrs + fun run  - those combinations just shouldn't make sense.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance