Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - 2010, Get your feet wet! (Read 685 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

So, a friend and I have been running up a local mountain once a week for awhile.  We decided to try and do all 52 weeks in 2010.  This was week #4.  We usually try to catch the sunrise from the summit.  Today was a really nice one, figured I'd share. 

Hope everyone has a great day!

You made my day! Beautiful.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Stunning, Chris!  (At first I read it as "girlfriend" as opposed to "friend."  I was about ready to call your wife. )

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Happy

WOW!! The Colors are amazing; the size of the sky is so different when not in the middle of a forest - Thanks for sharing Chris.

_

Recovering from the long run. Walked 4 miles last night and jogged 5 easy miles this morning on treadmill with walk breaks every mile so in essence 1/4 of the 5 miles was walking and 3/4 jogging. Beginning to feel normal. Had some strange sensations in the upper part of the left foot after the long run - made me limp when I got out of the car after driving home. Can't figure out what is causing it (other than running 20 miles). Does not hurt but makes me limp when getting up after resting. It is better today and I don't limp. 

_

Happy trail running guys!

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Happy

Goodmorning and Happy Treadmill Running 

_

Ran 8.75 miles on the treadmill this morning; graudal warmup from 5.2mph to 7.6mph during the first 3 miles, then 3 x 1600m tempo repeats with walking recoveries, 8x20-25 sec strides during the last 2.25 miles with active jog between. 

I felt a little "hung-over" when I started, like I had rusty legs. After the first 3 miles I started to feel loose and limber and found the groove. At the end I was astounded at how the faster leg turnover strides put spring into the legs. I am excited and basically love the treadmill; yes, you heard me  crazy, huh?!!

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

I am excited and basically love the treadmill; yes, you heard me  crazy, huh?!!

My suspicions have been confirmed.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Stunning, Chris!  (At first I read it as "girlfriend" as opposed to "friend."  I was about ready to call your wife. )

LOL!!  Yeah... no "girlfriend", just friend!!  :-)

The King of Beasts

Goodmorning and Happy Treadmill Running 

_

Ran 8.75 miles on the treadmill this morning; graudal warmup from 5.2mph to 7.6mph during the first 3 miles, then 3 x 1600m tempo repeats with walking recoveries, 8x20-25 sec strides during the last 2.25 miles with active jog between. 

I felt a little "hung-over" when I started, like I had rusty legs. After the first 3 miles I started to feel loose and limber and found the groove. At the end I was astounded at how the faster leg turnover strides put spring into the legs. I am excited and basically love the treadmill; yes, you heard me  crazy, huh?!!

<delurk>

I enjoy the treadmill as well, good spot to people watch.

<back to lurking>

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Happy

All this lurking makes me nervous 

_

Leslie, you crack me up! I hope the weather is better in your neck of the woods for your long run than here. We are waking up to freezing rain with temps dropping throughout the day. VERY unusual weather for us. The ice will start to build up on the branches etc as soon as the temps dip at few more degrees. No long run scheduled for me so I am cool. Instead, I am thinking about doing some people watching on the treadmill, if you know what I mean.....

_

Trip North of here with my son for a swim meet has been canceled due to freezing rain and snow.

_

Another one, who are you watching while on the treadmill? Nothing much going on in my gym, mostly old folks like myself - besides, treadmills are facing the wall. There is no mirror, so can't watch myself either, BIG bummer . My old lady eyes have become too weak to see very well - everything is a blur - perhaps better that way?! There is a TV attached to every treadmill blocking the view; my best friends are Al Roker, Sanja Gupta, Anderson Cooper - I do enjoy watching all of these guys - without the headphones attached I read their lips, blissfully unaware of what they say. I can't stand the "darn TV" so I have to run fast in order to fry my brain enough to be in a daze. Now, I am sure, you understand why I love it so much; who can resist an experience like that? 

_

I look forward to reading all about everyone's and "another one's" long-runs this week end.

22 miles on the trails today in 6:35 or so.  Stomach and back issues on my part really slowed us down, and probably added an extra 30 mins to our run.  The only thing I changed, food-wise, today was I added Pop Tarts to the grab bag.  Not again.  I don't know if they were the problem, or if I was behind on nutrition in the first place (even though I ate oatmeal before I ran), but I haven't dealt with nausea on a Saturday run to this degree in a long time. Heck, it's the intensity I usually save for Sundays!

Anyway, while we were walking off my nausea and back problems, we talked food.  Both Karen and Bill are telling me I'm not eating enough during the week, which is getting me behind for the weekends.  {sigh . . . .}  Just not sure how to eat as much as I should when I'm not hungry.

Tomorrow - Keeping fingers crossed I get through the whole 18.  I'm going to use my car as an aid station, hit it every 5 miles to keep up the food and fluids, and I won't have to carryso much with me.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Another one, who are you watching while on the treadmill? Nothing much going on in my gym, mostly old folks like myself - besides, treadmills are facing the wall. There is no mirror, so can't watch myself either, BIG bummer . My old lady eyes have become too weak to see very well - everything is a blur - perhaps better that way?! There is a TV attached to every treadmill blocking the view; my best friends are Al Roker, Sanja Gupta, Anderson Cooper - I do enjoy watching all of these guys - without the headphones attached I read their lips, blissfully unaware of what they say. I can't stand the "darn TV" so I have to run fast in order to fry my brain enough to be in a daze. Now, I am sure, you understand why I love it so much; who can resist an experience like that? 

You are too funny!  I can't imagine enjoying the treadmill experience like you describe, but I'm glad you're able too!

Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Anyway, while we were walking off my nausea and back problems, we talked food.  Both Karen and Bill are telling me I'm not eating enough during the week, which is getting me behind for the weekends.  {sigh . . . .}  Just not sure how to eat as much as I should when I'm not hungry.

Tomorrow - Keeping fingers crossed I get through the whole 18.  I'm going to use my car as an aid station, hit it every 5 miles to keep up the food and fluids, and I won't have to carryso much with me.

Hope tomorrow's run goes better for you. Sounds like your training is getting into the high mileage.  When is AR50 and when to you start your taper?

Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Trails - AR50 is April 10.  In the meantime, we're running Hagg Lake on February 20, which will be a training run for me.  Next week is 24/18, then a short taper before Hagg, then I think about a 1.5 week taper before AR.

I'm really tired right now and don't want to run tomorrow, so I'm gonna hit the hay and hopefully wake up with a better attitude.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Happy

Trails2run, glad you enjoyed my humor. I am always a lot of fun to be around - just ask my husband 

It is the way the speed makes me feel that I enjoy so much; I guess it is the intensity rather than speed per se. A lot of people run easy at faster paces than my tempo and/or interval paces so it's not speed in absolute terms; well, I guess you knew that already. I feel free and I feel athletic and young. There, I said it, the truth wants out. My husband says it is the endorphines and he probably knows his stuff, he is a guy. The only thing I know is that if this is the way drugs make me feel I will gladly warm up for 30 minutes to get to the point where I can run fast enough to produce the drugs and start to enjoy the effect.

_

Leslie, you can have your pop-tarts as long as I can have my endorphines. Just kidding!! I am sorry that you are having such a rough time with your food intake during your long-runs. I have no knowledge to share but my 2 cents worth is that you should not begin to struggle during the week with having to eat more than you want to. Doing so, it seems to me, would make the entire training process a bad experience - not just the long-runs. No wonder you don't want to get up and run tomorrow. I don't mean to try to put a stick in the wheel by saying this but what is the purpose of doing these horrible back-to-backs every week-end? I know what your goal is - but I can't help asking if you are on the right path? Are you having fun? It is easy to fall into doing the training just because the schedule says you have to do it. Maybe the schedule needs to be adjusted? I am just asking because I don't like to see you suffer so much. Like I said, I don't know what I am talking about so don't take me too seriously. Also, I am not coachable - too stubborn.

It's okay, Flower.

The long back-to-backs are to get your legs used to the drudgery (for lack of a better word) running such distances.  I'm in a middle of the pack training program.  Some are lot harder, some are easier.  I would rather train in the mid range and know that, when I get to my destination, did trained as hard I could for who I am.  Your body actually recovers better if you break up the runs into a Long Long and Long Short, as opposed to just one Looooong one.  The back to backs mimic the 50-mile distance with me actually have to running 50 miles in one day, until race day.

Long back to backs are very common when you get up in the 50+ range.  Even for 50k, we were doing LRs followed the next day by a 10 miler.

I can definitely tell that I'm getting stronger and faster, which is a good thing.  And I was able to motor fairly well through the nausea, when before it would've stopped me in my tracks, so I AM getting stronger, physically and mentally.  Today I had to contend with a back issue that's been bothering me for about a week now.  That didn't help matters.

But I ate what I could when I got home, and will eat before I run tomorrow.  I'll be taking chicken noodle soup and turkey and avo sandwiches with me, as well as an arsenal of other foods.  Going back to my car every 5 miles will ensure I eat the right things at the right time and, HOPEFULLY, finish the entire 18 without too much wear and tear.

Okay, I'm done whining.  I'm off to bed. 

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Happy

oh good, I'll stop whining now too, just needed to add that I've been cross training with the vacuum cleaner today; it much resembled a long-run in terms of severity and time on my feet. Didn't want to make you think I am relaxing or having fun. Chores, chores, chores. Better get some sleep now, Leslie. G'night, sleep tight.