Trail Runners

question about recovery (Read 294 times)

Happy

All week I have been recovering from running approx 24 miles on single track trail in Lynch Wood Sunday of the Labor Day week end.

Initially I was very sore in my legs and hips - all muscles basically seemed to be sore. Wednesday was the first day I attempted a little cross training - stationary bike, weight lifting (upper body), Thursday and Friday more cross training. Today Saturday - done nothing yet.

My feet and ankles were also quite sore especially the first few days following the event. 

I am still sore to some degree in my achilles/heel area. Other than that, I am beginning to feel quite normal.

I have been wondering how you guys recover from long trail runs?

Do you give the body time to heal before you start running again?

I am afraid of injuring myself if I start doing too much too soon. But I would like to run tomorrow Sunday on a sandy mostly packed trail w/o roots, twists and turns. Maybe I should just lace up in the morning and see how I feel when I get out there? Let the body guide me in how fast and how much to run?

I feel I am awefully slow in recovering but maybe it is normal? Any help and advice is appreciated. Thanks.

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Flower - I looked at your training log and it looks like you've only just begun trail running.  Am I correct?  Let me know if I'm right or wrong before I provide you with the benefit of my absolute wealth of knowledge in this arena. (just kidding!)   But seriously, how long have you been trail running?

And always listen to your body.  It may be just saying, hey, I need a break.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Running very slowly should actually help your aches and pains go away faster.  I usually run 2-3 miles, again very slowly, about 2-3 days after a marathon.  You may feel stiff when you start the run, but you'll loosen up and feel better by the end of it.
        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Happy

Leslie and trails2run, I found some answers in the link below:

http://www.ultrunr.com/recovery.html

)))))))))))))))

I have been running/training on trails on and off for almost 2 years but until last weekend I have run on the same trails in my own "backyard" - they are not terribly challenging in terms of elevation and footing. Lynch's Wood is my first trail event - it was fun.

)))))))))))))))))))

I am going to do a little low intensity running tomorrow morniing - we'll see how it goes.

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Trey on this site ran Lynch's Wood, too.  I take it Lynch's was a little more challenging than you're used to?  If so, that'll definitely explain the achier than usual body.  And yes recovery after an event is very important.  You push your body hard before and during, you gotta give it a chance to recover afterward.  I'm usually recovering for at least a week, then slowly bring it back up, depending on when my next event is.

Take care of yourself.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

...---...

Flower - what shoes did you use for Lynch's Woods? I wish I had known you were going to be there - would have been good to chat.

I think some easy running and activity will help. There were plenty of roots and rocks, twists and turns, and lots of "up and down" at Lynch's so I feel for you. 

Take care. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Happy

Hi Trey,

I have read all about your preparations for the Lynch's Wood 50K and I knew you took it quite seriously and it meant a lot to you to finish. As it was not my intention to finish it I kept a low profile since I didn't want to discourage anybody from doing their thing. I think I may have seen you once at the aid station but I wasn't sure - just had the pictures from RA to go by  You did very well and I am happy for you! 

From the very beginning I was one of the 3 last people in the race so I know yoy probably didn't see me.  Next time I run it I will run to finish it and we can get some chatting done.  Gosh, everyone was so nice out there, I loved it!

Are you running UltraTerri's next race?

Leslie and Trey,

I ran 7 miles on my usual packed sand trail (2 x3.5mile loop) this morning. I was surprised at how good I felt  I

I took it easy as I know you can still be "in recovery" even if you feel fine. I am sure I am still recovering on several different levels as I was severely sore and fatigued last week. Taking so much time off seems to have helped me and put some life back into my muscles. I felt strong this morning. Of course the cool weather and the lack of humidity in the air contributed to making the run very enjoyable.

Trey, I continue to get "flashbacks" to the Lynch's Wood trail event - especially today while I was running on trail again. I am really happy that I had the guts to finally participate in a trail "race" - I have wanted to do it for a long long time.

...---...

Trey, I continue to get "flashbacks" to the Lynch's Wood trail event - especially today while I was running on trail again. 

LOL, me too. That first night I dreamt the race all over again - jarring myself awake after stumbling and tripping on rocks and roots. My wife said I had a dog's dream, twitching and jerking. At one point, she thought I was actually running a little, horizontally of course, in bed. 

-

The FATS 40/50 is full. I could probably go on stand-by as there would probably be a no-show or two. However, I'm scheduled to be traveling that week through the weekend. If travel plans hold, I hope to do a marathon in Oklahoma that same weekend as the FATS race. As a backup, if the OK marathon plans fall through, I may try to do the Medoc trail marathon on 10/17 - ISTVAN is doing that one as well, I think. 

-

However, I am looking to do Terri's Buncombe 34 miler in May. PerfesserR may have that one on his radar as well. 

There's a lot to be said about having guts. In most cases, having the guts is enough. Hope to see you on a trail soon. 

Trey

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

However, I am looking to do Terri's Buncombe 34 miler in May. PerfesserR may have that one on his radar as well. 

I hope so. Also, Terri can be flexible with race limits--if you really want to run it then it wouldn't hurt to ask.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Happy

PerfesserR,

Did you run a Marathon on Sep 12? How did it go?

Imminent Catastrophe

Yes, it was a beautiful course. I ran a 3:57, slower than I'd hoped but I can't complain about a sub-4. I strained my left ankle pretty good too and couldn't have run much further (I'm using a cane to walk today). I'm working on a RR. Thanks for asking.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

...---...

Just as an FYI - Terri mentioned that she'll have 2 new races coming up. One will be a 24 hour run, to celebrate her 67th! birthday as she will run her age in mileage. Awesome. Nothing announced yet but if I hear, I'll spread the word. Please do likewise if y'all hear as well.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Yes, it was a beautiful course. I ran a 3:57, slower than I'd hoped but I can't complain about a sub-4. I strained my left ankle pretty good too and couldn't have run much further (I'm using a cane to walk today). I'm working on a RR. Thanks for asking.

Congratulations on the sub-4.  Sucks about the ankle.  How in the heck did you do that??  Looking forward to your report.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Happy

PerfesserR,

I hope you recover fast and that the strained ankle isn't a big issue. Have you seen a medical professional?

I would love to run a sub 4 hr - in fact your time is my marathon PR - but I know you are disappointed because you could do better if your ankle had not hurt. 

I look forward to the race report too!

Imminent Catastrophe

PerfesserR,

I look forward to the race report too!

OK, here it is. Comments welcome.