Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - February 2010 (Read 500 times)

Happy

Trails, Thanks for going into a little more depth with the PF and shoes, your thought and experience. It's great that the VFFs make such a positive difference for you. I hear the same reports from many other people.

____

10 pain free trail miles this morning - gorgeous morning - hard to believe that people north of us have had 2-3 feet of snow and that everything has shut down up there. 100s of thousands are w/o power in the cold weather and can't get anywhere - not a desirable situation to be in. I hope all of you are well and that you will post some "survival" post long-run reports this afternoon. Leslie - are you breathing girl?

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Barefoot running/VFF running also totally cured my PF, about 2-3 years ago.  I run about 5-10mi/wk now in them and it hasn't been back.

I also ramped up *really* slowly... like walking 1/2 mile to running 6-8 miles over a 2.5 year period. 

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend.  Yesterday was the Wasatch 100 lottery and today was the Hardrock 100 lottery... and I got in BOTH!  Yikes!  Gulp... I guess I better start doing some hills!! 

- Chris

Happy

Barefoot running/VFF running also totally cured my PF, about 2-3 years ago.  I run about 5-10mi/wk now in them and it hasn't been back.

I also ramped up *really* slowly... like walking 1/2 mile to running 6-8 miles over a 2.5 year period. 

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend.  Yesterday was the Wasatch 100 lottery and today was the Hardrock 100 lottery... and I got in BOTH!  Yikes!  Gulp... I guess I better start doing some hills!! 

- Chris

Congratulations on your good fortune in the lotteries, Chris!! 

How far are the two 100s apart in terms of time? Are they 100Ks or 100Ms?

Get to work now - you've got your own fan club here 

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

The King of Beasts

Chris-

thats great news & major good luck !!

have fun out there.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Congrats, Chris!  Woo hoo!!  Now get out there and wreck those hills.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Happy

I'm having a long-run on the roads on Saturday as I will be running the Myrtle Beach Marathon. I hope the weather cooperates - and, minor detail, my body 

Having a bit of PF and sore achilles tendon on left leg - always something, right?! I am taking it easy so I can be fresh on the day.

__

How did everyone do on the trails this week-end. Trails2run, Jen, Buzzie, Leslie................

We'ld love to hear about it!

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

How did everyone do on the trails this week-end. Trails2run, Jen, Buzzie, Leslie................

Thanks for asking, Flower.

I did Rocky Raccoon this weekend - my first 50-miler. Had a blast - perfect weather, wonderful volunteers, and an ankle that finally deigned to let me run. (I think I may have mentioned that I sprained it at HUFF in December and haven't really been able to run since. Although, I did squeeze out a pair of long runs/walks at 3 and 2 weeks out from RR.)

Managed to eke out an 11:17 finish - not what I was hoping for, but better than I expected given my utter lack of training going in.

The best part of this is that I feel better now than I did going in - my ankle hasn't made so much as a peep. So, I think I'm ready to resume training - which is good, because I've got Umstead at the end of March.

Liz

pace sera, sera

under a rock

I'm having a long-run on the roads on Saturday as I will be running the Myrtle Beach Marathon. I hope the weather cooperates - and, minor detail, my body 

Having a bit of PF and sore achilles tendon on left leg - always something, right?! I am taking it easy so I can be fresh on the day.

__

Good luck at Myrtle Beach. I have three friends that are doing the half.

I did a long run Sunday on the trails that was fun and brutal. I decided to try the 16 mile loop at Kings Mt State Park for the first time. I planned to walk the first mile then run 14 and walk the last. Once I got to the part of the trail I've never been on the conditions went down hill fast. It got quite muddy in mile 6 and at mile 7 I encountered my first stream that could not be jumped over. After that stream the trail got very muddy and boggy. It didn't start to get better until about mile 11, there was still mud just not as much. I did consider my run fun until around mile 9 then it just got tiring on my feet and legs to constantly deal with so much mud, water, and bogs. I managed to squeeze out 13.7 miles with my 1,000lb legs. I only have one long run left before my first half and I will be choosing a  trail that I know won't be so taxing. I'll be looking forward to trying the 16 mile loop again once things dry up a bit.

under a rock

Thanks for asking, Flower.

I did Rocky Raccoon this weekend - my first 50-miler. Had a blast - perfect weather, wonderful volunteers, and an ankle that finally deigned to let me run. (I think I may have mentioned that I sprained it at HUFF in December and haven't really been able to run since. Although, I did squeeze out a pair of long runs/walks at 3 and 2 weeks out from RR.)

Managed to eke out an 11:17 finish - not what I was hoping for, but better than I expected given my utter lack of training going in.

The best part of this is that I feel better now than I did going in - my ankle hasn't made so much as a peep. So, I think I'm ready to resume training - which is good, because I've got Umstead at the end of March.

Great to hear it went well inspite of less than perfect training. Good luck with your training for Umstead. I can't wait to hear a report on that, since it's somewhat close to me I may think about doing that one someday when I'm ready for those ultra distances.

Yo from Philly. Expecting storm number 2 in 1 week, each dropping 1-2 feet.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Happy

Buzzie - congrats on the fine results at your first 50-miler. Your time sounds, well, fabulous  No really, you now got me fired up for aiming for a good first 12-hour run in April at Lynch's Wood. All I have to do is more of the things that work well for me in my training and I'll be good to go on race day. I am so glad for you that your ankle is quiet - must be healed or otherwise you would have known. On to Umstead!!! How many miles is Umstead?

_

Runslikeagirl - good job going 13.7 miles with your 1000lb legs; where do you find legs like that? It must have been some sticky mud you were running in? I discovered that crossing a stream by walking across it cleans your shoes pretty well. There are advantages of most things we encounter. If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger. It makes you more the woman you are 

_

I am gonna get ready for the marathon while I drive down there the day before - sitting in the car I will get all psyched up for it. I want to have a good time and I hope to find some other runners to chat with while out there. After the 1/2Ms finish and the crowd gets thin, that's when the race starts. Yeah, I love it! Initially I had hoped to be able to bring my family, that is husband and kids, but it's not going to work out - so that's the downside. I'll just shower and head on back home so me and my sweety can celebrate Valentines together on Sunday. Maybe he will surprise me with a leg massage 

under a rock

Runslikeagirl - good job going 13.7 miles with your 1000lb legs; where do you find legs like that? It must have been some sticky mud you were running in? I discovered that crossing a stream by walking across it cleans your shoes pretty well. There are advantages of most things we encounter. If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger. It makes you more the woman you are 

I did start looking forward to clean water crossings to get the mud out. That first wide stream was just the mark of the down turn in trail conditions. I enjoy a good muddy run but this one was more than I find fun. It was clear that on the backside of the 16 mile loop equestrians were using the hiking trails which of course can really destroy a trail. Once I got off the part that was being frequented by horses there were less boggy and deep mud areas. I love horses, I rode all my life up until last year. I never would have ridden my horse on a trail meant for hiking only, it's just not fair to the hikers.

MTA: This park has 20 miles of equestrian trails so they don't have an excuse for wanting to ride on the hiking trails. The hiking only trails are clearly marked each time they intersect with an equestrian trail so you really couldn't get confused.

Happy

RLAG (RunsLikeAGirl) - thought you might like this little video ('bout skirts, wont say any more....)

http://running.competitor.com/2010/02/news/running-skirts-not-just-for-women-anymore_8250
                              Hmmm...not even a return yo. What's happened to the group? Little running due to the snow. Three feet of snow in 5 days. Messed us up. Running going good other than that. Later.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Happy

Yo, Buddo, Snow Buddo -

Myrtle Beach Marathon was canceled due to snow storm. They didn't announce the cancellation until after 10 pm the night before (that was last night); race was supposed to have taken place this morning. I had already traveled to Myrtle Beach earlier in the day yesterday and checked into the Hotel before we knew of the cancellation. It didn't start to snow in Myrtle Beach until around 6 or 7 pm right before dark but then it snowed all night.

It was a huge let down - kind of hard to deal with the emotions and the change of mind set. Had not been running much the last 2 weeks, trying to taper and keep my feet healthy/injury free. Now it turns out it was all in vain. I couldn't get myself psyched up to run the marathon - there were many runners outside running all day long today. Some of them probably covered the distance. I ran 6 miles and then had to get back and check out of the hotel before 11 am.

I wonder if I will get the medal sent to me in the mail. Seems like that's the least they can do - given that we've pre-paid for everything.

Did any of you guys go?