Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - October 2010 (Read 204 times)

Nothing to report, but am starting a new month when I'm suppose to!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I think I might have gotten a sports hernia (or at least really tweaked something near the groin) during my 12 mile trail race in September, which bothered me on the downhills during my marathons this past weekend.

So, a week or two off from running, possibly followed by an ultra extreme bradbury bad ass attempt if things are feeling well.

That's basically just running all 3 of the courses back-to-back-to-back in one day. Which could be fun if I'm not injured. 

Otherwise, not much to report. Hopefully there'll be more.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I think I might have gotten a sports hernia

So, a week or two off from running, possibly followed by an ultra extreme bradbury bad ass attempt if things are feeling well.

That's basically just running all 3 of the courses back-to-back-to-back in one day. Which could be fun if I'm not injured. 

Okay, first - Ouch!! Shocked

And second - what 3 courses?  How many miles?  How can you leave without giving details?!?  tsk tsk . . . Wink

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

And second - what 3 courses?  How many miles?  How can you leave without giving details?!?  tsk tsk . . . Wink

Bradbury Mountain Trail Running Series: http://www.trailmonsterrunning.com

The first race is on the eastern side of the park in July and is a 6 miler, it has some twisty single track but isn't a very difficult race. I've won it every year since it was created.

The second race is on the mountain side in August and is a 9 miler, which has some very technical single track and is very hilly. Bradbury Mountain is only about 400 feet tall, but you basically summit 6 times during the 2 loop course with a trip almost or all the way to the bottom between each.

The third race is back on the eastern side in September and is a 12 miler, with a lot of very twisty switchbacks and single track. There's two specifically tough trails, the island trail early in the race which can get you dizzy, and then the "O" trail which is in the last 2.5 miles of the race but is all contained within a 2 or 3 acre area. Yeah, it's crazy, especially after 9 miles of racing when you are tired.

Running all three back to back is about 27 miles. My combined time for the series is just over 3 hours, but I'd  be happy with 5 or 6 hours running them all back-to-back-to-back. (Obviously, not racing them as hard as I can would slow me down some, along with just being tired and fatigued and w/o any aid stations or course markings.)

Run to Win

under a rock

I'm approaching my final week of taper before my first marathon! I'm so giddy. I'm also on edge about ds bringing something home from preschool. The class next to his has had quite a few kids out with high fevers and the runs. I told his teacher this morning to keep him in a bubble for the next week. My running is feeling great and my legs are nice and fresh. Just trying to make sure I don't over do it on my fresh feeling legs during these shorter runs.

under a rock

Bradbury Mountain Trail Running Series: http://www.trailmonsterrunning.com

The first race is on the eastern side of the park in July and is a 6 miler, it has some twisty single track but isn't a very difficult race. I've won it every year since it was created.

The second race is on the mountain side in August and is a 9 miler, which has some very technical single track and is very hilly. Bradbury Mountain is only about 400 feet tall, but you basically summit 6 times during the 2 loop course with a trip almost or all the way to the bottom between each.

The third race is back on the eastern side in September and is a 12 miler, with a lot of very twisty switchbacks and single track. There's two specifically tough trails, the island trail early in the race which can get you dizzy, and then the "O" trail which is in the last 2.5 miles of the race but is all contained within a 2 or 3 acre area. Yeah, it's crazy, especially after 9 miles of racing when you are tired.

Running all three back to back is about 27 miles. My combined time for the series is just over 3 hours, but I'd  be happy with 5 or 6 hours running them all back-to-back-to-back. (Obviously, not racing them as hard as I can would slow me down some, along with just being tired and fatigued and w/o any aid stations or course markings.)

Are you doing this independently or with a group? Is there a site set up for recording attemps and finishes?

Are you doing this independently or with a group? Is there a site set up for recording attemps and finishes?

When I originally conceived of the idea (pre-groin-injury) I had planned on running it independantly but mentioned it to some friends in the hopes of getting some company for part or all of the run. There was one person that wanted to run the whole thing with me and a few that thought they'd come out for a bit so I thought about setting up a Fat Ass style run where people could come do whatever they wanted.

Not enough people have actually run all three in the same day (although quite a few have come close) to warrant setting up a separate attempt/finish site; it's more of just local bragging rights since the races only pull in about 100-150 people each and not many know about it at this point. (The Bruiser is only 4 years old, the other two races 3 years old each.)

Run to Win

I'm approaching my final week of taper before my first marathon! I'm so giddy. I'm also on edge about ds bringing something home from preschool. The class next to his has had quite a few kids out with high fevers and the runs. I told his teacher this morning to keep him in a bubble for the next week. My running is feeling great and my legs are nice and fresh. Just trying to make sure I don't over do it on my fresh feeling legs during these shorter runs.

Good luck!

Run to Win

Well, R2W, I wish you the best of luck.  Sounds damned exhausting!

RLAG - Good luck!  Have Fun!  Smile for the camera!!!!

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Have fun Blaine and good luck to RLAG! Blaine, I was checking out the Mtn Epic at Sunday River and then I saw it was 10/10 and I already signed myself up to work in Stowe tomorrow so I guess I won't be going. Sorta looking for one more race to end the season with-mainly for fun. No big miles or big expense. There's a trail half marathon outside of Albany,NY-the Hairy Gorilla on Halloween weekend that looks like it could fit the bill.

Had a massage last night and got my hips unlocked. VC left them pretty tight. She worked my hammies, calves and low back too. Felt sooo good! I think I can walk a little faster now too. Not much else is going on. Running again-looking to go around 12 today for my long run. I'm without a plan! What do I do!!

Hope everyone has a good weekend. Off to watch my son play football after having to run him around to find his cleats, jersey and get him breakfast. Sorry I'm in a mood. Time to flip the switch.

Cheers!

Kelly

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Hey All -

Good to see ya checking in, Kelly.  I still haven't managed a massage. Evil

My buddy Karen got a pretty cool tattoo on Thurs to commemorate all her 50ks.  Today it was still bothering her a bit, so we took it nice and really easy on the trails and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.  Even explored an area where the City is planning to punch in some new trail.  We didn't break any land speed records, but still managed 14:34 mm.  Talked to a lady for a few minutes who walks out in The Forest with walking poles.   I held one, and they're extremely light.

Came home and did a little yard work - which generally means ripping, tearing, and "pruning" in a manner that would make professional gardens undergo heart palpitations. Big grin  We're suppose to get rain, so I watered just to ensure it actually happens.

I was going to sign up for the Humboldt Redwoods HM for next weekend, but (1) it's on Sunday and Sunday is the only day The Hub and I have off together, and (2) it's $50 - only $5 less than the marathon.  Let me see, half the distance, but only $5 off the price?  I don't think so.  I mean, for crying out loud, the 30k (18.64 miles) trail run I signed up for on the 23rd is only $35.  Less money for a longer distance and great aid stations.  Something's not computing.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend -

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

Volunteered at the Mystery Mountain Marathon this weekend, marked the trail Saturday and worked an aid station/gave directions today. It was a nice weekend. We came upon these spectators along the trail:

One of her two cubs is on the left behind a shrub.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

One of her two cubs is on the left behind a shrub.

Sort of YIKES!  Never wanna get between a Momma Bear and her cubs.  Great photo, though!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

The problem was, one cub climbed a tree beside the trail so mama bear was staying, and the runners were due any minute. As you can tell by the picture she was alert. We didn't want them to run by there with that cub (and mama) there. Fortunately the cub climbed down and they left shortly before the runners came along.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

12 solo miles on the trail this morning.  Made the mistake of not eating before I went out and started to pay the price toward the end.  The run felt good, though, and I enjoyed myself.  Wore my iPOD for the first time out there.  Didn't have it playing the entire time, but It was a nice distraction now and then.

Now I'm off to do transcription -

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance