Windy City Runners

Monthlies - April (Read 20 times)

Kalsarikännit

Roxie, I just saw your question about the Whites. I haven't been up there yet. I am trying to climb the highpoint of each state, so Mt Washington is on the to-do list. Also, I am section hiking the Appalachian Trail (I have completed the first 700 miles), and that goes right through the Whites. What did you do when you were there?  Did you get up Mt Washington?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

It's an old one. I've run it a few times over the years. No complaints. Actually, I kind of love it for the goody bag. The race is sponsored by the Wrigley company. You will never, ever need to buy gum again for the rest of your life.

MTA:  I see that Wrigley's name is not in the race info anymore and it is now another Chicago SEM event. All their races are always the same to me.

There you have it- I've heard of the Wrigley one, because I always got that confused with the Race to Wrigley due to being a simpleton. That sucks that I won't have a swagbag full of gum!

I agree that most SEM events are the same- I really don't mind though because there are hardly ever any issues with them (knock on wood). My main gripe is that they move as many as they can to Lincoln Park, which is just boring after the second or third time you run a 5k through it. My guess is this one will get moved there soon, so at least I can run it once before they have it start and finish at the Nature Museum like the rest of them.

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

BuckeyeNurse

Congratulations on your first half marathon, Jerry!  Nice job!  Hope you had fun.

I ran the South Shore 1/2 marathon yesterday in Milwaukee.  Very low-key, laid-back event.  Still waiting for results, so I'm not sure how many people ran, but they had a nice turnout!  It was WINDY, especially after the turnaround, and I didn't love the out and back on a bike path since it got so crowded, but overall it was a fun time.  And for $12 preregistration/$20 race day, who can complain?  There was even free beer afterwards!  I ran embarrassingly badly, but that's my own fault.  I did learn, however, that Milwaukee "flat" is NOT the same as Chicago "flat".

I'm not sure about Kenosha now- my performance yesterday suggests that I'm nowhere near fit enough to do a marathon this spring.  And I really don't want a repeat of the windiness from yesterday, which I'm afraid might happen in Kenosha.  At least Cleveland would give me 2 extra weeks of training and a course I know (I ran it in 2011 and 2012, which were both awful years for weather, so the third time's a charm, right?).  Not loving the idea of driving there and back just for the weekend though.

Duke of the Internet

Congratulations on your first half marathon, Jerry!  Nice job!  Hope you had fun.

I ran the South Shore 1/2 marathon yesterday in Milwaukee.  Very low-key, laid-back event.  Still waiting for results, so I'm not sure how many people ran, but they had a nice turnout!  It was WINDY, especially after the turnaround, and I didn't love the out and back on a bike path since it got so crowded, but overall it was a fun time.  And for $12 preregistration/$20 race day, who can complain?  There was even free beer afterwards!  I ran embarrassingly badly, but that's my own fault.  I did learn, however, that Milwaukee "flat" is NOT the same as Chicago "flat".

I'm not sure about Kenosha now- my performance yesterday suggests that I'm nowhere near fit enough to do a marathon this spring.  And I really don't want a repeat of the windiness from yesterday, which I'm afraid might happen in Kenosha.  At least Cleveland would give me 2 extra weeks of training and a course I know (I ran it in 2011 and 2012, which were both awful years for weather, so the third time's a charm, right?).  Not loving the idea of driving there and back just for the weekend though.

I tell people that all the time.  The Lakefront Marathon is flat but it's definitely not Chicago flat.  Oh heck, what is!

Duke of the Internet

Ran our first HR in Knoxville today. Stadium race and very hilly for us midwesterners.  Got through first half without any walking, but the hills took a toll on our legs and we had to do a little walking on the longer hills.  Nice neighborhoods and greenway and perfect weather today.  Ended at 2:24 for both of us.   Oakton bridge will no longer be a challenge!  Back to NBT this week when feet feel better.

Congrats to both of you!!  When I saw you post that was the half you were going to run, I immediately thought,  man it's hilly out there.  I hope he knows what we is doing.  Big grin  Great job!!

Kalsarikännit

If anyone is missing it, the "ticketed in Chicago" thread in the main forum is quite stupid/infuriating/entertaining.  Thought I'd mention it because of the Chicago connection.

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

If anyone is missing it, the "ticketed in Chicago" thread in the main forum is quite stupid/infuriating/entertaining.  Thought I'd mention it because of the Chicago connection.

Thank you for that. That is right along the route I run home when I drop my daughter off with her mom at the Morton Grove station (and it's also the train line I take to work every day), so I'm very familiar with that area. Further, it is a fantastic thread that just ate away at the past 40 minutes of my day.

Kalsarikännit

Further, it is a fantastic thread that just ate away at the past 40 minutes of my day.

Anytime I can help you waste your time and become a little bit dumber, just say the word.

Can anyone tell he ticks me off?  No one insults my city! Of course I mock the CTA and parking all the time, but not in front of outsiders. I try to make them believe we are perfect!  Wink

anneb

Yeah, I haven't gone back and read that for a day or so. I love how the guy keeps commenting about parking. Like, if you only have to go downtown once in a while, is it really that big of a deal to pay $20 to garage park for a few hours? I mean I wouldn't pay it daily (hell, I wouldn't be driving there anyways) but in his situation I don't think that would be a big concern.

Edgebrook is my metra stop, and I can't say I have ever thought about running THERE. I mean, there is the forest preserve a block away, or the Edgebrook/Sauganash neighborhood streets but THERE? No. Seriously, what a moron.

Anne

anneb

Anytime I can help you waste your time and become a little bit dumber, just say the word.

This is exactly how I felt after reading! I keep going back though.

Anne

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

Can anyone tell he ticks me off?  No one insults my city! Of course I mock the CTA and parking all the time, but not in front of outsiders. I try to make them believe we are perfect!  Wink

I've been told it's not possible for me to get any dumber, but I've never turned down a challenge in my life, so I appreciate the help in proving me right.

Right there with you- Chicago isn't perfect, but nobody needs to know that but us!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

He never runs the same route twice. Very random runner.

Yeah, I haven't gone back and read that for a day or so. I love how the guy keeps commenting about parking. Like, if you only have to go downtown once in a while, is it really that big of a deal to pay $20 to garage park for a few hours? I mean I wouldn't pay it daily (hell, I wouldn't be driving there anyways) but in his situation I don't think that would be a big concern.

Edgebrook is my metra stop, and I can't say I have ever thought about running THERE. I mean, there is the forest preserve a block away, or the Edgebrook/Sauganash neighborhood streets but THERE? No. Seriously, what a moron.

BuckeyeNurse

Good luck tomorrow, Badger!! (And any other Boston runners I forgot!) Enjoy the experience. My sister will be handing out water at Mile 21, so be nice to the volunteers Big grin  Can't wait to hear about it!

Runnerman Dan

Purveyor of peace & love

I hope that Badger and everybody else doing Boston had a good run today.

I finally got out for some miles this past weekend, nearly doubling my miles for the year!  I did the Muddy Monk Double Down 20k on Saturday, which was my first MM race.  I thought they did a good job and would run with them again.  On Sunday, I ran the NW Indiana Crossroads Marathon and would not recommend this race to anybody.  I felt that the course was not as advertised, being much more residential than "country roads" with "breathtaking views".  But more importantly, the roads we ran on were too busy for the traffic management they provided (next to none).  Anyway, I'm hoping to be running/participating here more consistently.

What did everybody else do this weekend?

anneb

I ran this half last year and remember the same - mostly the traffic part.  There wasn't any traffic management, at all. Not even cones put out if I remember.

On Sunday, I ran the NW Indiana Crossroads Marathon and would not recommend this race to anybody.  I felt that the course was not as advertised, being much more residential than "country roads" with "breathtaking views".  But more importantly, the roads we ran on were too busy for the traffic management they provided (next to none).

Badger, I hope you had a good run. I'm trying to catch up on the disturbing news out of Boston at the moment.

Anne