Whitefish High School

where is everyone? (Read 552 times)

Anne Dan

did i lose connection from my buddies? is running ahead blog the "uncool" blog location? (is there a new whitefish high school running site/ communications online?) i ran the cape cod marathon in maine......actually it is in massechusets for those of you who are geographically challenged with east coast statesSmile in any case the marathon in was beautiful, a great form of nirvana and relaxation....till mile 22. i ran the last bit with my hands over my head b/c my stomach hurt so bad...hope all is well elsewhere
    Jacob Fern

No, i'm still here. I'm not sure why it's so quiet around here. I have been super busy (as I am sure you have too), so that's why you haven't heard much from me. As for everyone else, who knows... Good job on the Marathon. I ran a lot of the Cape Cod Marathon course this fall when I was up in Cap Cod for cross country. We spent a week there, and ran twice a day along parts of that course. There was one day when we ran up to the lighthouse. I can't remember the name of it, but it's a little past Woods Hole (which is the world famous oceanographic institute). It's a really cool area, although it would probably be a little more pleasant this time of year, when it's not so hot.
        anne I am so proud of you! that is super exciting... And I am still here as well. I hate to admit it but I still check runningahead everyday (sometimes twice) even though there has been no activity for quite some time now... I guess this is mostly because I have not been doing any running and feel rather guilty about talking about things I am not currently a part of... But! The good news is that I think I'm about ready to start running again... I think the extended break was really a good thing for me and I am starting to miss it so much... I am terrified, however that I am going to go out on my first couple runs and realize that I don't actually miss it and have to start again from scratch. Ah well... I'll keep you updated.
          Nice job Anne, with the marathon. From your post, I can tell that you understand what the Olympic gold medalist, Frank Shorter, said when he mentioned, "the marathon is really two races, the first twenty, and the last six". Jacob, went running in Cape Cod for a week with the cross country team???? What? Why didn't you share this information before? That sounds really cool. What's up with the team. Usually you post all of your results. I seem to be missing out on something. btw, thanks for keeping up with the WHS website, it's definately the coolest in the entire world!!!! Janna.... I think I'm about to start running again myself. Okay, I never really stopped, but it has been so inconsistant that I can't think of it as really running the way I want it to be. I've set a goal to get out each day, even if it's for a short run. My right calf is a bit sore right now, so I'm kind of walk/running until it gets better, but I'm hoping it will get me going prior to the first snowfall. I miss having all of you here to run with. Sure the team is doing well, but it's not quite the same without all of you. Bill
            Anne, I had to look at the Cape Cod Marathone results. That's cool. Again, nice job. In the "it's a small world dept." Did you notice in the results, a runner from Great Falls finished a few minutes ahead of you. Weird.... and the connection doesn't stop at Montana, apparently, this runner, Rikka Strong (who ran xc at Great Falls High) does crew at Harvard. Whoa, she may have walked right by Clare on campus just days prior to racing along side of Anne in the marathon. Boy, I can come up with tons of useless trivia if I really try. Bill
            Jacob Fern

I'm still posting all of our race results (at least, the ones that are available... once again, our bootleg conference championship never posted results...). If you go to the cooper page (http://www.whitefishxc.com/cooper.html), they're all there. I only link to the front page when I'm in the results. For a while I have been semi-injured, so I wasn't running in the meets. I had another strange knee and calf problem, so I just stopped running for a while. I think the problem was mostly due to my inconsistency. The cape cod trip happened in late August, right before the semester started. It's more or less mandatory (which I don't really like), so there are a lot of people who go. Of course, officially it's an "optional" trip, but if you don't go, the school mysteriously runs out of money and isn't able to fund your sport anymore. It was fun, but not nearly as fun as it could have been. There was a lot of drama between the different teams, and no one really likes the athletic director. It was also pretty expensive. But we made the best of it, and it was a pretty good experience. It would be really nice to be able to go somewhere where we can get off of the roads and onto some trails. Cape cod was all roads, which was kind of annoying. The team is in an interesting position right now. Because we are successful within our conference, a lot more people are taking notice of us, but we are still really low on runners. The ones that we have are, for the most part, very unreliable. Everyone is busy, and no one wants to commit much time to practices or meets. We didn't have a single new freshman join this year, and a lot of our team is made up of seniors, so next year will be tough. Even so, I think that the season was a success. It's not like cross country was in high school… more like a running club. No one is really competitive about it, so there's not much pressure. I was one of the captains this year, and next year I'll be taking over the rest of the responsibilities too (signing up for meets, making sure that we have uniforms and warm ups, doing all the insurance stuff, etc.)
              Anne Dan

YAY!! people are still connected, this is exciting. well today i have my "APFT" basically a physical test to keep you eligible at west point. ive always wanted to "maxit" or "super max it" by scoring above a 300 but ive never been above a 294....until now! i got a 343. what you have to do is 2 minutes of pushups - 42 is maxing for girls (last saturday i did 58! but then today for some reason, i could only do 45...), 2 minutes of situps - 78 is maxing for girls (i did 86, way better than my last one of 77), and then run 2 miles...I ran about a 12:30 which is exciting considering a sinus infection has been ongoing and im not even running with the XC team to do that...in any case theres my bit of news. and bill, if you do have time in the future, there is a question about overtraining and marathon running that one of my buddies (actually my platoon sargeant technically) has: Question: A friend of mine, a junior, is running an ultramarathon (100 mile race in Arizona) in November. His current mileage is between 130-150 miles a week, along with 2 hour lifting sessions a day. He was wondering what advice could be found regarding cross training and prepping for such an event. My friend was overweight as a child, his football coach dad starved him back into a normal weight range, and ever since his baseball/football highschool career, "Tom" has been running and working out on a high-intensity basis. His two-mile time has gone from 14:00 to 10:20 since he came to west point, which is really great imprvoment......bu I see the signs of someone overcompensating and overtraining to "make-up" for his poor health in the past. He really is on a route to self-destruction and injury, because when he has a twinge or "hurt" he merely just trains harder and longer the next day. I have run a few long runs with him when hes asked me to, and His questions to me include: how to eat properly to prepare for the ultramaration (right now he will not touch anything fried or unhealthy, he is trying to "maintain" weight, but he will not eat foods such as meatball sandwich). (it is also very irritating when, i who wiill eat anything, hear him say how proud he was that he threw out the donut or resisted the pizza...sounds like self-punishment) his other question was: "Is two weeks enough recovery time after an ultramarathon to do another?" (he is signed up for a marathon two weeks after the ultra marathon) i think what will happen is he will get injured bad and learn the hard way that he is over-comopensating. Can i tell him something to avoid that path?
                  I have to admit - I have not even posted my running, etc on the web site since the day of my mom's death Sad. Sad I still have been running, etc. everyday, I just have not been in a very good frame of mind. It is good to see how everyone has been doing. I did end up going to NY last week Jacob, but, to help my dad with his brothers funeral and only a few days. I flew into Newark and we were actually in Port Washington (long island) so I did not see too much except way too much traffic! I did get to see the empire state building and the statue of liberty as I went in and out of Newark and we had to drive through NY to get to my dad's house.
                    Anne, Nice job with the APFT. I know I couldn't do that amount of sit-ups and push-ups. Not even close. I'm afraid that there's not much I can say to help your friend. It's all about attitude. There will be a time that he will understand. I'm afraid that experience will help more than words. I think that the rigidity of his program and philosophy helps him to stay on task with his goals. By having him change, may lead to larger problems with his expectations of the activity. He'll be okay. Even the marathon, after the ultra will work out. His body will shut down when it becomes too much, and he'll learn from that. You may be able to help him, but continuing to show him that there are other ways of accomplishing the same goal. Your example will rub off, even without words. Sometimes it's better to let time work things out, rather than trying to change things too quickly. 12:30 two mile, that sounds like you're not having any trouble running fast. Nice job!!!! Bill
                      This post is quite a bit for a "where is everyone post" but.... Jacob, I looked at the results, but the team picture, I think, blocked part of the links. What kind of injury do you have? Knee and calf problem? Give me details of how and when it happened and I'll see if I have any semi usefull advice. It sounds like you've got a full plate with school, running, and organizing events. Bill
                      Anne Dan

Sara I am so sorry for your loss, I did not know this... I remember how much Nicole and Jordan loved her especially. I wish I could be there to give you a mountain hug but you can call/email me if you ever want to. We are having a prayer chain in your mother's honor at my next Fellowship for Christian Athletes assembly, just to pray for strength and say thank you for the good life she lived. It's good you are still running and doing everything you love. I am really glad there are still bloggers blogging here, and tommorrow I'm going for a really pretty run at "Black Rock"...the leaves are almost done turning here. Thanks for the advice Bill, I will do as you suggest. Yes, I was surprised I ran decently for the APFT, but I didn't go to the bathroom before I did the 2 mile run, and that showed at about the 9 minutes mark....i will drink less water next time! Big grin
                          i am right here
                            I'm home... does anyone want to run (really really slowly) with me? Please?
                            Jacob Fern

I wish... I won't be home until next summer.
                              Anne Dan

Where are you giong for Christmas? Also, I have accepted into the CIA (Culinary Insitute of America) and set for enrollment next fall with a decent enough scholarship......besides the fact that I love to cook....and the fact that I really applied as a joke just to see...I doubt I will go, but it humors me every day to think about going from a military college to a chef college! It's just down the river too.... I'm all set to get some good fun/adventours runs in Pensilvania and long island this weekend...should be fun with my old XC teammate chrissy rath...happy thanksgiving everyone! miss yall