Barefoot Runners

PAIN!!!! (Read 546 times)

Ok so if you look at my log you will see that I have not run much lately....

Backstory

Got here to naples Italy MAR09.  Tried to resume my running and was having excrucitating pain in my right heel.  Went to the ortho doc and he told me that I had a bone spur.  He removed the bone spur and that was supposed to take care of everything.  2 months later try to start running again.  NOV09 see a foot and ankle doc due to the continued pain.  Turns out that I had Haglunds and he wanted to preform surgery to remove it, but the timing was not good due to my daughter just being born.  Well after waiting almost a year for him to return Sept10 , I had the surgery to remove the haglunds (he also had to cut and reattach 80% of my achilles).  Recovery went well and I started running again in my KSO's.  Well after my run this morning I am having pain in my left calf, to the point that it hurts just to walk.

My question is do you guys think that I am trying to do to much to soon?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy

2009 Goals...:
    -run more miles than 2008

-build base to train for 2010 Rome Marathon

Fast Ninja

try to walk before you run...

develop your core strength and running position

dont run in a fast pace... listen to your body then it will give you after the speed!

Be one with the earth!

~ninja 

jeremy, it looks like you have a fairly smart approach to your training, youre not pushing it hard or running a lot of mileage. if your calves are hurting its probably because theyre working hard. my advice is to continue going slow, maybe shorten your runs so you dont overwork yourself. you might be running too far, find a distance that is challenging but wont kill you. this will allow you to add a few days which should give you a nice base in no time.

Half Fanatic #846

Wearing the KSOs may be challenging to your calves for a while until you become more acclimated to them.

And - just a thought - are you subconsciously  "protecting"  that right foot by over-compensating with the left?

Good luck on the comeback!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm guessing you're wearing the KSOs because of the Haglund's, to avoid irritating the Achilles.  I'm in agreement with the others here - there's no substitute for patience.  Sorry; hope it's not too long before you come back stronger than ever.

Wearing the KSOs may be challenging to your calves for a while until you become more acclimated to them.

And - just a thought - are you subconsciously  "protecting"  that right foot by over-compensating with the left?

Good luck on the comeback!

I think that I might be doing this as it is only the left calf that is painful.  Thanks for all the advice I am going to try again and see how it goes from there.

2009 Goals...:
              -run more miles than 2008

-build base to train for 2010 Rome Marathon