Circle North chokes on a Charleston Chew

Interesting Running Geek Training Stuff (Read 103 times)

Here's a thread for stuff you see about training that you think is interesting, or has good ideas in it. I'll start it off with this, which I just read and liked a lot of...

http://www.letsrun.com/2005/jkfitness.php

So, if you read something interesting about training, steal it and put it here! Yay!

I literally don't care that I use the word literally incorrectly.

Trial and error indicates that actually hitting that high-end pace more than three times per week will expedite your fitness at a small cost to long-term development (this is also dependent upon how much higher-intensity work is being done concurrently). The take-home message in this is that if you are a newcomer to the sport or if you are younger than your prime racing years (25-35 years old for most long distance runners), you will be better served (at least from a statistical standpoint - obviously not everyone responds in exactly the same manner) by including more easy running in your base training regimen. If you are an older, experienced runner who is in (or past) your prime, you may be better served by running at least a portion of your runs near your maximum steady state more often (4-6 times per week).

Yowza.  This might support what McCullough has been doing.  I would surely break.  

The main part I found interesting was the description of how the progression runs should feel at the faster end of the workout. That almost floating feeling where you're working hard but not straining. Running fast but not killing yourself, and maybe really pushing hard only at the very end, if at all.

You and I have both referenced the feeling of body separating from legs, which is sort of how I pictured that part. 

Wanted to save this somewhere I could easily find it again, this seems like the appropriate thread for it. It's a quote from Jeff, a really fast guy that posts on RA a lot. It caught my eye just before I ran Baystate, and it stuck in my head. It helped a lot.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

Long but good.  Thanks.

Somebody was talking about this article on Tuesday. I think it's pretty accurate.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/of-machines-and-beasts

In general, I need more lizard-brain.  More beast, less machine.  At least on race-day.  And in this case, right around mile 16 or so is when I need to invoke my wonder-twin powers.

There have been too many instances of my rational brain winning out.

The machine is good for training, though.