Half Marathon Trainers

Let the countdown begin - when's your half? (Read 1155 times)

Hopefully our paths will cross in Ohio...running somewhere!
    Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4
      Intherunning, hang in there and let us know how it goes next week. It sounds like you took some very prudent precautions, given your condition, and learned a few things too! And there's not much you could have done about Ernesto. We left Utica in '72 (My Dad worked for Mohawk Ailrines, I don't know if you remember that outfit) and moved to Philadelphia and then to San Francisco in '73, where I stayed until I came here to Albuquerque.
        OK, Poose, we heard from intherunning, now it's your turn to tell everyone how you did in your HM yesterday!
        sjwick

Hopefully our paths will cross in Ohio...running somewhere!
          Still running hm 9-16? Oh, maybe our paths will cross sooner rather than later.
            I am - i'll be the one picking up her packet that morning:-)
              looks like several of you are running races this weekend. Good Luck everyone! Big grin
                My First Half Marathon was on Sunday October 8th in Melbourne Australia. Freezing winds, intermittent Rain followed by sunshine and high humidity at the end, what more could you ask for in an event. I ran 1:57:00 achieving my goal to run under 2hrs. I hit the wall big time at the 18km mark and nearly passed out from frustration at the number of squashed jeally beans on the road at my feet when I desperately needed a sugar fix. Things I learnt for next time: Don't get thrown by the pace of the start find (early) your own pace that you have trained to. Empty the bladder, I felt uncomfortable for most of the whole race because I didn't go one last time. Carry some small sugar fixes or at least something to help in those final 5-10minutes of the race. Sultanas, Jelly Beans. Drink early and often, especially if its hot. Stretch, stretch and stretch after the race. The bag collection queue is the worst place to try and warm down afterwards. Have fun. Smile
                  awhwalker - Great lessons to share. Congratulations to you on a successful race and beating your goal! lisa k
                  Wingz

Professional Noob

Lessee... Going by this list we've still got katkelly on Nov 12th with the Outer Banks HM. I know I signed up for a 14 mile trail run Dec. 2. I signed up even as I was icing down my knees after the HM, LOL! Anybody else go out and sign right back up for another race? What's left in the season?

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anybody else go out and sign right back up for another race? What's left in the season?
                      I am dying to find another race...only thing anywhere nearby in the next few months is a 10 mile trail run--I don't think I could do that, yet. I don't really have any good trails to train on and the thought makes me nervous, anyhow--too remote to feel safe for such a distance. I am SO antsy. Even though I am sore I wish I could go for a run, today...it's sunny and pretty warm (for a change). I will probably still take tomorrow off to be nice to my body, but I am planning to go for a shortish run on Weds. The weather is supposed to be fairly nice and I really think I will be ready. I am surprised by how good I actually feel today. A bit sore, but not too tired. Yep...my name's Kirsten and I'm a running addict. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

A good swimming workout REALLY helped with my muscle soreness. You might try that. And if *I* can do a 14 mile trail run, *you* surely can do a 10, LOL! C'mon! It'll be fun! Bring your inhaler and get your zoomy hiney on out there! It's not "remote" when there's a race going on. Tons of people everywhere! And the surface is better for you than asphalt... C'mon... you know you want to... Evil grin

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Evil woman. Wink Ok, so you got me thinking about it and I went to look for information and the links that were on all the running sites are gone--I wonder if they pulled it for lack of interest. There never were more than a few people in each age group. That's crummy. That was about the only run of its kind in this area and the only race within an hour until Feb. k

~ Sarah Kay

bas

I have signed up for a 15 KM run on november 19 and for a half marathon on january 14. The HM is really special. The course is along the Dutch coast. 7 km on the beach, the rest through the dunes. Do a google image search for 'egmond halve marathon' and you'll get an idea of what it is like. It will be my first time there and everybody tells me it can be *heavy*! Omigod... bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, bas, that looks like a REALLY challenging course, but how beautiful! Is the part through the dunes paved? I look forward to your race report from that event. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

bas

I think the dunes course is partly paved and partly gravel. If I survive, I will certainly post a report here. Wink bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East