Half Marathon Trainers

Let the countdown begin - when's your half? (Read 1155 times)

3 weeks and counting. Crap this is coming up fast. DimMak keeps telling me to think positive and it will all work out. Yeah, he just enjoys watching others suffer. Smile I'm sure it will all turn out in the end, I just need to keep telling myself it will be ok. After all, it has been over 6 months since my last HM.
      Thanks! I've just started doing some speed work - one tempo run and one interval session so far. It's pretty hard for me, but I'll try to do 1/week and hopefully it will get easier as I learn to push myself more. My normal courses have some little hills on them, and I will start to do some hill repeats as I get a few weeks into my training. This was my first full week of training. I'll take any recommendations if you have some! Thanks, deb
      I rest between my hill repeats. I also rest between my intervals. Here is a good website for sample intervals...http://misweb.cbi.msstate.edu/~rpearson/intervals.html Think positive, only increase the distance 10% a week, listen to your body, stay hydrated and eat well. I’m sure you’ve heard most of this before, but I have to keep reminding myself of some of these rules. I also ice things that swell (I have a trick knee), and I use Tiger Balm for really sore legs. I personally think it is important to work on the core also… D
        10 days. And ITBS flairing up. Thank God Indy is pancake flat!! Just one little hill that that is ramp going under the track at teh Speedway!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Regina

May, 6th - in 9 days!! And I'm just restarting training after more than two weeks of bad cough. So we will see ...
            May, 6th - in 9 days!! And I'm just restarting training after more than two weeks of bad cough. So we will see ...
            OH Man! I KNOW what you mean!!!! Plus a bad IT Band. My goal for my race has changed from finish in less than 3 hours, running the entire distance to just finish!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

I just signed up for my first half on May 20th. I can't wait!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Good luck. 5 May is mine. I can't wait.

12 days and counting. With everything that has been coming up lately (work and other activities) I haven't logged anywhere near the miles that I need/want to for preparation. I think I might as well just conceed and say I'm just going to finish this one and not worry about how long it's going to take me to do so.
                    I suffered a spasm earlier last week in my middle back muscles. It put a damper on my training and had me laid up for the weekend. But thanks to modern science (pain killers and muscle relaxers) I can at least stay loose this week before the run on Sunday. I know a few of you had runs this past weekend (5-6), how did they go?
                      I suffered a spasm earlier last week in my middle back muscles. It put a damper on my training and had me laid up for the weekend. But thanks to modern science (pain killers and muscle relaxers) I can at least stay loose this week before the run on Sunday. I know a few of you had runs this past weekend (5-6), how did they go?
                      See Main fourm race report. ITBS got me at 15K and I lost my goal. I finished at 3:18:43. At 6 miles I was on track for well under 3 hours. NEXT YEAR!! And I have already singed up!! Be sure to let us know how you did!!

Santa Barbara Wine Country Half start tomorrow (13 May 07) at 0700! I would love to beat my last HM time of 1:38…okay, so it is a different course, but this one has hills and the last one had killer hills.
                          Big grin 1:36:29 (Chip Time), about 10 sec diff on clock time! This was excellent course. Loved the event!
                            Santa Barbara Wine Country Half Marathon 2:06:30 for chip time, only 12 seconds off gun time. AND a PR. I cut almost 7 and 1/2 minutes off. Withthe hills this was quit an accomplishment but loved the course.
                              Nice PRs DimMak and Namiks!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Thanks! I'm really happy with my run time. My first HM (in Oct), I ran in 1:41. I've worked hard and this is my fourth HM in that 8 month period. Although I've only cut a few minutes, I still feel good about the times. I think I'm ready to start hitting the full Marathons more now.