Half Marathon Trainers

March (Read 43 times)

Cyberic

Zel, there probably were signs in the sports center saying the track would be closed. But since I wasn't planning on running there that weekend, I didn't pay attention to them. Sunday was only the first time I actually drove there to run on a weekend. I always run outside on weekends. I have this thing about taking my car to go run. And after this, it will be a long time before I think about not running straight out of my front door Smile

Zelanie

Cyberic- I know the feeling.  There are lovely forest trails on the other side of town, but I have to drive to them.  So I run on my same route by my house all the time instead.  What I should do now that it's getting lighter out is stop by and do a trail run on the way home from work, so it's not an extra trip in the car.

an amazing likeness

I don't think my half next week will be a PR, but you never know. I've been putting some data together from the last 2 years I did this race, so I'm eager to input the data from this year. I've used the same Ryan Hall plan for all 3, and you can definitely see some differences in my mileage.

I really think you should go for it -- you've got more hard endurance miles in your legs this year than last year, and you've still got the base & long tempo work of the marathon build-up.  In other words, you're more hardened than in the past, even though you may be feeling less sharpened.

Rather than deciding before, a reasonable approach might be to target getting to 10mi on a PR pace (opening 5mi; work hard for the next 5mi) and then see if you can bring it home from there, or need to fade a bit and let the PR go.

(of course that's all easy for me to suggest and type, I don't have to actually run it!)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

lsp

Lump Off

I'm just starting on week 4 of my 10k training and I am so pleased that I'm mostly following it.  This has been good for me - to work on discipline and paying attention to my paces (I hear it helps).  Other than that, not much to report and happily, no injuries and no allergy problems.

DR - your running just looks great; like your surgery was just a tiny blip and on you go.

Hog - a belated congrats on the race you organized.  very cool.

I know a few of you have goal halfs coming up; I'm looking forward to hearing how they went.  Hope you all have good running weeks.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Man, you guys have been chatty today!  I ended up also biking last night.  6 miles and weights tonight.

Mitch, nice run.  How big is Bella now?  Good luck with the HM.

milktruck, nice 5K!  I hate 5Ks as well.

Z, enjoy the last two weeks of training.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Cyberic, hiya!

superbunny, right?  It's like it never happened except now I can run without pain.  Sounds like training is going well.

Damaris

MT - Great 5k..loved it and was caught up and thought I read it wrong and had to reread it....lol

Zel - I can't wait for your race, I think you are going to crush it.  Your trainign sounds like it has gone pretty good.

Hog - you will be fine, I have confidence you will do it.

Docket - you amaze me.

Superbunny - Way to go!

I got outside Saturday for 2 short miles before work and then the flood rains started.  Made ti to the gym for just under 5 yesterday morning.  Wil lbe down for a couple of days as I fell on some brick steps yesterday and cut my upper shin, just under the knee.  Hurt like hell, bled a lot and now just throbbing at work...My hubby says I need 2 weeks off..I laughed..maybe 2-3 days, we will see how it feels.  Was going to do a half this weekend but that won't be happening.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

hog4life

Damaris, I'm not sure, we haven't weighed her in awhile, but I suspect about 75 pounds.

Non running related- I went to the surgeon today as a follow up from the January CT Scan. He basically gave me an all clear; he just wants to see me in 1 year, and wants the GI doc to continue treating me for the restriction that's in my small intestine. As long as the meds do their job, and I don't develop more symptoms, I shouldn't need his service. Odds are highly probable though, that with the next 5-10 years I will need surgery again. That's just the nature of the beast in having Crohn's Disease. But for now, he said run all I can!!!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Damaris, I'm not sure, we haven't weighed her in awhile, but I suspect about 75 pounds.

Non running related- I went to the surgeon today as a follow up from the January CT Scan. He basically gave me an all clear; he just wants to see me in 1 year, and wants the GI doc to continue treating me for the restriction that's in my small intestine. As long as the meds do their job, and I don't develop more symptoms, I shouldn't need his service. Odds are highly probable though, that with the next 5-10 years I will need surgery again. That's just the nature of the beast in having Crohn's Disease. But for now, he said run all I can!!!!

Wow.  Pics?  Just saying!

Barbs, great job on the 5.

Morning!  ended up doing 4.25 with hubby so no 6 miler and no weights.  8 miles tonight with strides.  Weights if I have time.

Damaris

Hi all!  So many posters yesterday!

Zel - Cannot wait to see your new PR time!  Training seems to have gone well - positive vibes sent to you from the east coast.

MT - LOVED the race report!  I have a 9 year old - and I don't think I could get him interested in more than a mile of running.  That is just fantastic.

Cyber - I run the same routes all the time.  Just time saving in my hectic life....and it allows me to zone out - which is what I need many days.

Barb - THE SUN IS SHINING TODAY IN BOSTON!  Just saying that maybe we have earned a decent patch of weather....fingers crossed.  Sorry about the accident....eek.  Take it easy.

Hog - Why not just plan on targeting the PR and see how it goes?  What have you got to lose?  If half way through you aren't feeling it  - then you don't get it - but you might want to put it on the table to consider??

Superbunny...Solid training for the 10K - No injuries, no allergies - no news is good news!

D_R - I am not a fan of 5Ks - 10Ks are a good distance....although they hurt like hell around mile 5 - but all races hurt :-)

I finished my last long long run before Boston - 21 miles in the driving rain and wind on Sunday -  -Now I am nervous and twitchy - wondering how I am every going to be able to RACE a  marathon.  Trying to stay focused, yet distracted so I don't over analyze or obsess......  but by nature I overanalyze everything - so it should be an interesting 20 days.....

Ready, go.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Tara, that's why I love marathons and ultras.  They don't hurt!

Morning!  My 8 with 10 X100m strides went really well.  Today it's an SRD with maybe a bike ride and weights.  We'll see.

Damaris

lsp

Lump Off

Tara - It sounds like your Boston prep is going great given the short training time.  Are you going to race race it or just plan for a good run?  Either way, keep up the great work.  I'll look for you on the broadcast.

I did 200s on the track yesterday.  Well, I sort of fumbled my way towards something that possible could be considered 200s.  I guess I just need to keep at these workouts and they will happen more smoothly with practice.  The lack of symmetry was getting to me.  I like strides and 400s are easy but splitting up the track?  Ugh - apparently too hard for the ocd inclined.

Cyberic

My first run outside -wearing shorts- of the year. It was about 5C (41F) with a little breeze cooling things down, so it was on the chilly side for shorts, but I had to do it.

Spring has cometh!