Half Marathon Trainers

March (Read 43 times)

an amazing likeness

Sounds like you're really back into the swing of things Docket, nice recovery -- I have to say that after reading all your various running adventures and events I'm not one bit surprised that your comeback was a non-event, your mental toughness comes through time and time again.

Hey...Ayola -- are you out there?  What happened in over your way with that storm on Wednesday?  We had 30 - 50mph north winds down here, but I heard a news story of 109mph recorded by an buoy downeast and Halifax under blizzard conditions....did you get nailed?

Last minute decision for me to head out to run a local 5K tomorrow to test how the legs are doing heading into next weekend's planned back-to-back half marathons. It wont be a fast time -- the course is basically 2.5km steady downhill, turn around a cone and run back up the hill. It's a good aerobic capacity test more than leg speed.

I'm ready for March to be over...it will be a major victory to get my 190 miles logged for the month and move on to April...I'm done with this winter hanging on....getting edgy for next weekend's races and hoping to run in shorts.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  I ended up doing 7 on Thursday (TM run) and 8 yesterday with strides.  Back to back runs of this length have not happened since before the surgery, so I am excited.  6 recovery miles tonight.

milktruck, thanks.  I do most of the events a year for fun and one or two for a PR.  Sometimes I just don't want to push it and with my asthma and surgery history, I shouldn't.  Good luck on the 5K!

Damaris

hog4life

10+ mile LR done with the last mile being the fastest at 8:46. Just 7 days till this goal half.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Good luck, Mitch!

I did 10 with my husband today.

Damaris

Hey Milktruck! Just got back from vacation...

Luckily I was in Madrd on Wednesday. I got some awesome photos of the storm (worst of the season) from the husband who was at home. 1 1/2 day city shutdown which never happens. I flew in right in time late last night as the airport has closed this morning for a ice storm and more snow is scheduled this week #winterwednesdays

Before Madrid I was in Barcelona and did some short runs there, I'll post some pictures.

Feeling a bit lumpy after a week of wine and Iberian ham, my interval run is going to suck on Tuesday...

A

Recalculating...

Cyberic

Snow storm this morning. I decided to take the car and go run on the indoor track close to where I work, where I run on weekdays during lunch time. So I took the car (did I mention there was a snow storm?), drove 25 minutes to get to the sports center (usually takes 15 minutes) and there were tons of people there... on a Sunday morning, 8:30. Turns out there's a cheerleading contest and the race track is closed. $%?&*&?%$. Drove the car back home, swearing all the way back. Hopped in my winter running gear and hit the roads with about 4-6 inches of sticky snow on the sidewalks. Some sidewalks had been taken care of, so there was not 4-6 inches of snow everywhere.

Ended up running a slooow 12 km, but it put a smile back on my face.

Cyberic

Before Madrid I was in Barcelona and did some short runs there, I'll post some pictures.

Feeling a bit lumpy after a week of wine and Iberian ham, my interval run is going to suck on Tuesday...

I'm going to Spain for the first time his summer for 4 weeks. Family vacation. We'll spend 7 days in Madrid, 9 days in Barcelona, and the rest mostly south. I hope I can at least get to run every other day.  It's going to be hot.

Was it easy finding spots to run?

It was easy in Barcelona, our hotel was near Las Ramblas - the main drag- and that connects to the port and beach at Christopher Columbus circle, I followed the other runners along the path. So I ran up and down the boardwalk. It was lovely - I love the ocean. I did that on Monday and Wednesday. It may be more pleasant here when it's warm with an ocean breeze. There's also a "trail" on the outside of Park Guell (steep!) and there's a nice park around the Olympic stadium (also steep) more at the edge of the city.

i didn't run on Friday as planned in Madrid - I was tired after museum and shopping and the PF was acting up,

but I noticed lots of runners. There's an outer loop at Retiro  park that I saw runners enjoying.

A

Recalculating...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  Did 6 miles of TM at several inclines as my hilly workout for the day.

I have never been to Spain but I have heard it's lovely.

Damaris

hog4life

11 on the bike, then 3 easy with Bella.

an amazing likeness

Ran a 22:26 in my 5K on Saturday. Splits show the downhill...then uphill: 7:06 | 7:10 | 7:19.  I hate 5Ks!  Seriously, these things are hard. I was sucking serious wind at the end.

After the turn-around cone (which was actually a snowbank) as we started back up the hill, I caught the runner in front of me. Event though we had over 1.3mi to go, I had a good idea I could probably beat him because he wasn't managing the hills well -- he'd fade until I got to his shoulder, then take off as soon as I pulled even. Despite getting deeper in O2 debt, I knew there was a steeper section of hill coming, and figured I could put him away on that section, so I settled in behind him for the brief let up before that steeper portion.

As it happened, I put a gap on him in the steepest section, then pulled away on the slight downhill to the finish. Whew!

This is an out-and-back course, and the dude was a rock star -- as we went back up the course, lots of folks coming down the course were yelling out "Way to Go Bryce!"  and "Get 'em Bryce!". It turns out Bryce was 9 years old.  Yep, I almost got beat by a 9 year-old..if he only knew a bit about running more even effort, he might have have toasted me. Cripes!  Getting old sucks.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Zelanie

Hey everyone!  Just two weeks left until my goal HM.  I am feeling the fatigue of the plan for sure and looking forward to the way that it winds down from here.  My track workout this week went really well, but for the easy runs, I really feel like I'm dragging my legs around.  My heel has really been bugging me, too.  I think I am doing what I need to at least keep it from getting worse.

ayola- Sounds like a fantastic trip, can't wait to see the pics!  Hope that PF is behaving and you're able to get back into the swing of things.

Cyberic- I would have been so mad after driving all that way for the track to be closed!  Did they not have any notices up or anything ahead of time?   Glad you still got some miles in.

Milktruck- Good job beating Bryce, hehe.  At least you have him a taste of real racing, right?  Glad you were able to put some distance on him before the finish.  Trying to outkick a little kid at the line might be a little weird.

hog4life

Ran a 22:26 in my 5K on Saturday. Splits show the downhill...then uphill: 7:06 | 7:10 | 7:19.  I hate 5Ks!  Seriously, these things are hard. I was sucking serious wind at the end.

After the turn-around cone (which was actually a snowbank) as we started back up the hill, I caught the runner in front of me. Event though we had over 1.3mi to go, I had a good idea I could probably beat him because he wasn't managing the hills well -- he'd fade until I got to his shoulder, then take off as soon as I pulled even. Despite getting deeper in O2 debt, I knew there was a steeper section of hill coming, and figured I could put him away on that section, so I settled in behind him for the brief let up before that steeper portion.

As it happened, I put a gap on him in the steepest section, then pulled away on the slight downhill to the finish. Whew!

This is an out-and-back course, and the dude was a rock star -- as we went back up the course, lots of folks coming down the course were yelling out "Way to Go Bryce!"  and "Get 'em Bryce!". It turns out Bryce was 9 years old.  Yep, I almost got beat by a 9 year-old..if he only knew a bit about running more even effort, he might have have toasted me. Cripes!  Getting old sucks.

LMAO, oh dear! That was some intense reading until I got to the 9 year old part and I about spit my beer all over the keyboard. We have a local boy that is 12, he won our Hero dash 5k last weekend at 19 something, and readily finishes in the top 5. Darned ole young whipper snappers!

Nice run MT.

hog4life

Zel, I'm getting anxious to see how you do, can't wait to hear about it. You've earned the taper, now take it easy for a couple of weeks.

I don't think my half next week will be a PR, but you never know. I've been putting some data together from the last 2 years I did this race, so I'm eager to input the data from this year. I've used the same Ryan Hall plan for all 3, and you can definitely see some differences in my mileage.

Cyberic

Thanks Ayola.

Milktruck, that 9 year old is impressive. I have an 11 year old who plays AA soccer, so he's in pretty good shape, but he could not run a 5k near that fast. But then again, running doesn't interest him -at-all. But Bryce or no Bryce, your time was great! I'm wondering which is worse suffering wise: 5k or 10k? I don't race enough to know, but I'm thinking that although you go very hard at a 5k, that the pace of the 10k is not so much slower, and the last 3ks of the 10 must be very hard.