Half Marathon Trainers

2010 Goals (Read 963 times)

Okay, I think it's time we all start seriously thinking about our 2010 goals, including me. 

Post them when/if you've got them. 

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

IMKY13 finish!!

running/weight goals for 2010...

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 200 lbs by the end of July 2010...and stay there

3) Get below 20% body fat (currently at 25%)

4) Break 24 minutes in a 5k (current PR 24:33)

5) Break 2 hours in a half marathon (current PR 2:02:43)  !! DONE !!!  1:57:35 on 3/13/2010

6) Break 4 hours in a full marathon (current PR 5:04:49)

7) Run 1,500 miles for the year

MODIFIED: Changed a couple of the goals

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

I have not finalized my goals yet, but this will do for now:

1) Sub 21:42 at 5k- 7 mins/mile.

2) Sub 45 at 10k- (this should be a fairly easy one)

3) Sub 1:35 for a half (that's the tough one!)

4) 1500 miles/2400kms for the year-200kms per month average.

Happy with my current weight around 155lbs, but eating less junk food would be good.

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Simon, Like you, I have not finalized my goals yet .  I still have a 10K to run in a few weeks which should give me a new mark to shoot for.  Doesn't look like I'm going to get a 5M in this year.

My overall goals are to continue improvement, keep motivated, stay healthy, stay injury free (almost did it this year) and complete a Full Marathon, that I just didn't get to this year

So for now current goals are:

Distance          Goal                      Current PR        Set

5K                     20:30/                    20:51/6:44      Sept 09

5M                     35:00/7:00            36:39/7:20       Aug 08

10K                  46:00/                      47:35/7:41      Nov 07  (Racing on T/Day)

1/2M                1:39:00/                   140:08/7:39     Sept 09

Full M              just to do it               none

LPH

That 10k goal looks very easy for you, Larry, given your speed at 5k! I bet you can get under 45 with a fair course.

I think you can do the half, but will have to work plenty of longer runs into your training for that even

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

That 10k goal looks very easy for you, Larry, given your speed at 5k! I bet you can get under 45 with a fair course.

I think you can do the half, but will have to work plenty of longer runs into your training for that even

I agree with your comment, but the race depends on the timing (when in the year it falls).  Like right now, I'm only training a few days a week (and not really quality runs either) and so a Thanksgiving 10K is not at my peak.  A 46:00 is a 7:26 pace, should be real simple, but it's a tough/hilly course as well.  However, whatever I do on Thanksgiving day will dictate my 10K goal for next year. 

I did just find a 5M near me the Sunday before Thanksgiving and if the weather is nice, I might also run that just to get one in and should be able to beat my previous PR, but not meet next year's goal. 

The HM is probably light as well, but I'm not out for aggressive goals.  I figure at my age, any improvement is key and I'd rather meet my goals than fall way short.  My experience has been that it's less pressure and I perform better. 

LPH

running/weight goals for 2010...

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 200 lbs by the end of March 2010...and stay there

3) Get below 20% body fat (currently at 25%)

4) Break 25 minutes in a 5k (current PR 25:41)..if I don’t do it in 2009 which was my original goal, then it will be to break 24 minutes in a 5k

5) Break 2 hours in a half marathon (current PR 2:02:43)

6) Break 4 hours in a full marathon (current PR 5:04:49)

Paul, great goals, except I think your Full Marathon is awfull agressive.  Since your HM goal is under 2 hours, you've exactly doubled the time for double the distance.  you might want to rethink that one.

Larry

LPH

I've only been running in earnest for about 5 months now so it's hard to project my "improvement curve", not to mention the assumption that I'll stay disciplined, but here goes.

2010 Goals

5k - 21:00
                  10k - 45:00
                  1/2 - 1:40:00
                  Run 1500 miles, race 2 1/2s, and 3 or 4 shorter races.

And as more of a possibility than a goal,
                  Full - 4:00:00

(I'm not sure why, but I think I would only train for/run a marathon if I felt I had a shot at 4 hours)

I've only been running in earnest for about 5 months now so it's hard to project my "improvement curve", not to mention the assumption that I'll stay disciplined, but here goes.

2010 Goals

5k - 21:00
                    10k - 45:00
                    1/2 - 1:40:00
                    Run 1500 miles, race 2 1/2s, and 3 or 4 shorter races.

And as more of a possibility than a goal,
                    Full - 4:00:00

(I'm not sure why, but I think I would only train for/run a marathon if I felt I had a shot at 4 hours)

I checked out your log and workouts and think that these are obtainable goals for you for next year if you keep up wit hthe training. 

You ran a sub 7 Min pace for a 4K, so getting it down to break 21:00 in a 5K is certainly possible and you also ran a 144:XX HM, so at age 33, shouldn't be a problem breaking 1:40.

Thanks for posting your goals.

Larry

LPH

I checked out your log and workouts and think that these are obtainable goals for you for next year if you keep up wit hthe training. 

You ran a sub 7 Min pace for a 4K, so getting it down to break 21:00 in a 5K is certainly possible and you also ran a 144:XX HM, so at age 33, shouldn't be a problem breaking 1:40.

Thanks for posting your goals.

Larry

Thanks for the encouragement, Larry and for all the good advice. 

Just a point of clarification.  That 1:44:XX was on a very short course (12.6).

But I will take the attitude that 1:40 "shouldn't be a problem". Thanks.

Prince of Fatness

In the Masters Group there was a similar thread.  This was my response there ......

At the beginning of 2009 I shouted out the numbers goals just like everyone else.  As I thought about it more, I shifted the focus more on the training, just taking it one day at a time, consistently getting the miles in.  I'm already about 250 miles ahead of the mileage I've ever run in a year and had PR's in 5 different distances.  It's working.

There are some concrete things that I want to accomplish.  BQ and sub 20 5K come to mind.  But my focus next year will be on consistently putting the work in.  The numbers will take care of themselves.

Not at it at all. 

Mine are really similar to Paul's

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 200 lbs by the end of 2010

3) <I have no idea what my body fat % is>

4) Break 26 minutes in a 5k. Don't have a PR, never run one in anger. (10k PR is 54:43)

5) Break 2 hours in a half marathon (current PR 2:07:07)

6) Run a first full marathon

Thanks Paul for the quick 'n' easy copy paste.

2017 Goals
                          1) Run more than 231 miles
                          2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Ringmaster

Hey, all. Okay, thinking about 2010. My goals:

1. Race 26.2 for the first time. Get as close as possible to 4 hours.

2. Race two half marathons this year. Get closer to 1:45.

3. Keep pushing for the 48-minute 10k and the 22-minute 5k.

4. Run smarter--balance the training load better.

5. Cross-train more.

I like your attitude, MrPH. I definitely need to get smarter about training--cross-training more and minding my sleep, which for me is huge. We'll see how things progress as I get better at this. I forget sometimes that I'm still such a rookie, really.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                            Mile by Mile

IMKY13 finish!!

Thanks Paul for the quick 'n' easy copy paste.

Glad I could be of assistance

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

IMKY13 finish!!

5. Cross-train more.

I definitely need to get smarter about training--cross-training more...

I will definitely agree that cross training/strength training will help your running & improve your stamina and speed (just take a look at my log).  I used to do 4/1 splits (run 4 minutes, walk 1 minute)...but now I up to 9/1 splits on my long runs...and something I'll even go 18-20 minutes without a walk break.  In fact, when I did the 5 mile race on Thanksgiving, I only took 3 30-second walk breaks (at miles 2, 3 and 4).  I contribute this mostly to the strength training that I have been doing twice per week.

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!