Marathoner Dailies

2013 New York City Marathon Race Report - Updated w/More Pictures (Read 45 times)

Julia1971

Archived by author.  See training log.

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
    Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

Bad Ass

Congrats, girl!  I agree with your analysis of the course.  Lots of uphills but never a good downhill to settle your pace.  I think you did great and congrats on the well executed PR.  PICK A FLAT RACE, WOMAN!  Both your PRs have been on hilly races!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Julia1971

D_R, Yeah, I think on a faster course I may have been able to get that sub-3:20.  And, the conditions didn't help either.  Not that it's the best way to measure but considering how well I placed, I think a lot of people ran slower times due to the wind.

Mostly Harmless

I continue to be amazed by your abilities Julia.  You are not only a fantastic runner but a fantastic writer as well.  I'm equally impressed by your ability to recall so much about your races.  Congratulations on a well run race and it for going all out to try and reach that elusive sub 3:20.  I have no doubt you would have made it on a more forgiving course without that wind.  Thanks for sharing your race report!

So what's next for you?

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
          Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Julia1971

Scott, Thanks so much!  I'm surprised I remember so much, too, because generally I have a terrible memory...  (Sigh).  I'm not sure what's next.  I'll probably do a 5 or 10K this month just to see if I can get a PR in a shorter distance coming off all this cycle.  I might also see if I can find a flat late fall marathon.  Then, I start training for Boston next month.  I think I might finally leave Pfitz.  I love his program but I'm thinking I may need to switch things up.

Julia, what an awesome race report and I thoroughly enjoyed reading through the entire thing. That selfie picture of you and Take was awesome and you just look so happy and adorable in the post-race medal picture.

I watched the entire race on TV and it was really clear that NYC was not a course that would give up PRs easily. Those bridges were deceptive with elevation changes and I know how much that can take you out of your groove while running. Though you didn't really talk too much about the wind, the TV footage really showed it gusting through several segments of the course - nice work on the drafting and making the best of the circumstances.

I also think you were really wise to not push for the 3:15 given the course and conditions - that could have ended up really really tough over the last couple of miles. As it was, you did a great job of pushing yourself to the best of your abilities on the course and finishing strong. BTW, that final stretch in Central Park looked like an uphill toward the finish line so that would have sucked the energy out of your legs as well to kill your final kick.

Congratulations on a phenomenal race and I cannot wait to see how you're gonna rock Boston in April! Let us know what you end up doing for the next training plan ... Hanson? Since I didn't get into Boston for 2014, I still need to pick out that goal race for the spring. Once I settle on that, I'm highly considering going the coach route to mix things up from Pfitz.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Just B.S.

Julia, first they were calling your name because YOU ARE A ROCK STAR!!!

I LOL at your comment regarding Hike and the 48 minute 10k at the end!

You RR totally enthralled me and I was hanging on every word. I had a catch in my throad reading

your description of the last few miles.

I can feel your joy in the photo with your NYCM medal!

So happy that you had such an wonderul overall experience, that you got to share this with Hike!!

OUTSTANDING!!

Great report, Julia. Thanks so much for documenting the adventure.

For me, as hard as the last 3 miles were, the post race poncho-march-of-death was harder! At least the crowd kept moving all the way there and there was no standing around. I found a subway station at Bway and 72 Street (should have scoped this out better before the race), took the 1 train to Columbus Circle, then the C train back downtown to my MIL's place. She lives about a mile from the SI Ferry terminal, so I walked down in the morning with my DW, who then went for a run on the west side.

When I got home, my DW had bought some beer for me. It is called 'Idiot IPA'. A perfect treat to enjoy after I sign up for my next marathon.

Most times when I run in NYC, nobody waves, says hi, or makes eye contact. On my trip back, at least 4 different strangers congratulated me and asked me about the race. It must have been because of the orange poncho and skinny bare legs. "You must be freezing!" one little girl said. 

Oh, and they were selling the Garmin 220 (and 620) at the expo, so I bought a 220. I like it.

Great race and race report!

Julia1971

Bruce, We did take a good photo. Well, Hike did. Even though it was my phone I kept messing up the picture. LOL!... I only really noticed the wind a few times. I was concentrating so hard on the pace, Hike, and the crowds. I hope I can find video of the race somewhere. I would actually like to see how the elites did... 3:15 was crazy talk. we lost that pacer about a minute into the race. No way could we have stayed with him... Yes, I was thinking Hanson. My weakness seems to be running at tempo and MP pace. I'm already an endurance monster. I need to work on my speed over distance, I think.

Just B.S., Thanks! I was so happy. I've been on a roller coaster of emotions about this race but in the end it was all joy. Smile It's funny how quickly I forgot my misery... I can't wait to read Hike's report to see if that's what he was actually thinking.

YMMV, Glad you enjoyed the report...  I thought people were very friendly. I think they were glad to have the race back. Hope you're feeling better... You got the 220?! I'm jealous. Smile

Coockie, Thanks! And you ran such a great time. In those conditions and that course, I'm really impressed.

Dreamn

I mostly lurk in this section, but great race report and congrats on your race and PR Julia!

Julia1971

Dreamn, Thanks!  Good luck with your running.  I hope you unlurk and chime in from time to time.  Smile

Julia - I had to force myself to not read your report until after I had finished mine.  I have been wanting to read it since you posted it.  It is funny that we both were concerned we had ruined the other's race.  It clearly cost some energy for us to stay together.  You were looking out for me the whole way and slowed a few times to let me catch up.  I often get stuck in traffic in the turns and had to push to catch up.  Nonetheless, whatever additional effort was required was well worth it to me.  I am sure I would have faded in the Bronx and perhaps in Queens if you hadn't been pushing the tempo.  We didn't talk much, but it was a great feeling to have an ally at my side.  That blank stare you got from me about the last 10K was actually my not hearing you.  I didn't have the energy to ask, but I had no clue what you said there.  I also didn't hear you urging me to go on ahead in the last 3 miles. We were both battling at that point and it was hard to communicate.

I knew your goal was 3:20 going into the race, but I guess I didn't realize how important that was to you.  Perhaps I should have pushed you to go on ahead.  It was a tough day and I really don't think either of us could have done much better on that day.  I know how important this day was to you and I feel honored that I was able to share it with you.

I know you say your business with the NYCM is done, but if you decide to run it again, my family and I will come out to cheer wildly for you. Thanks for writing such a thoughtful report.  I have already read it twice and I am sure I will read it several more times.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Jack K.

I love sponge cake.

Great RR. Knowing how fit and talented you are and that you just missed your goal show how tough a course it is. If you ran a flat course you would OWN 3:17 or better. The last like of the RR is a classic. You should put it on a t-shirt. Smile

2014 races

Santa Anita Derby Day 5k - 5 Apr  

Mountains to Beach Marathon - 25 May

Finally PRed!!!

Awesome RR, Julia!! Congrats again on a fantastic race. That is a really impressive result with that kind of wind, and I know everyone says that course is pretty tough. I'm glad you are happy with how it went. On a faster course and with less wind, you will definitely break 3:20.

PRs: 5K: 22:09, 10K:44:55, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:32:09