GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

November:

SprinklesRunner - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

GregTR - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

runmomto3boys - 11/24 - Route 66 Marathon

You're too strong not to keep on keepin' on. - The Pips
    Yes, I am! - Gladys Knight

Julia1971

Good morning!  Another early start for me.

I fell asleep about 5 or 10 minutes into the SOTU address.  Woke up at about 1am and went to bed.  So, I feel like I got a good amount of sleep, just not solid sleep.

I'm supposed to double today - 10 miles w/800m intervals in the morning and 4 recovery miles in the evening.  The schedule called for 600s but I'm doing the workout as "Yasso 800s" since I only have one tune-up race on my schedule and wanted another potential race pace predictor.  I know they're not meant to do that - there was a thread about a year ago about that fact - but since there's an interval workout on my schedule anyway, why not?  I'm already having my doubts about the evening workout.  I'm tired.  But, part of me wants to gut it out.  After this morning's workout, all my runs will be recovery/easy leading up to my tune-up race on Sunday, some "rest" is on it's way.  W00t!

Happy running, everyone!

Finally PRed!!!

Morning!

Julia: Good luck getting those runs in, good that you have easy runs leading up to your race.

I have just my Wed evening group run later, 6 miles. I need to run pretty easy because I'm planning an MP run tomorrow. The rain is supposed to finally stop this morning, good because the streets are pretty flooded. We did have a short break from the rain yesterday morning, but not long enough to dry anything up.

Have a great day, everyone! I'll check back later...

PRs: 5K: 22:09, 10K:44:55, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:32:09

jackdyl11

12 miles done.  I experimented with not looking at my watch the whole way, just to see where the pace would end up.  7:15 is a bit slower than I'd expect on a night run, but my legs are so cranky in the mornings that I'm happy with it.

Oops, children are awake, gotta go!

Brains aint me forte

Good morning friends.

Julia - I hope the 10 went well this morning. It sounds like your mini-taper is coming at a good time both as race prep and to get a bit of rest.

NTS - Have fun with your group run later! I'm glad the weather is changing for the better.

Jack - Good to see you back on the board and that you have been able to resume running. I would love for 7:15 to be slower than what I expected. Smile

Today is a SRD for me but I'm planning to run a short recovery run instead.  Probably around 4 miles or so just to work the kinks out.  Have a great day all!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
            Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

SRD today but did a slow 6 on the treadmill at work.  Tried new shoes for this:

Promate Lagos 3mm Flipper Slipper Fin Neoprene Socks

They are actually called: Promate Lagos 3mm Flipper Slipper Fin Neoprene Socks

Here is the link for all those who want to go about as minimal as you can get.  Only $12.95.  I doubt that I'll get many miles out of them though.

All ready for tomorrow's MP run.  Do wish it was expected to be warmer though.

Ate my last box of Girl Scout cookies this morning for breakfast.  Time to start being good again.  Sigh....

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Pressing...from last night....hospital if green or black hand, got it!  It's actually feeling better today in that my wrist and fingers don't hurt, so I think I'm good.  Nice job on your workout.  I bet the others were pretty envious of you!  If Scott didn't take the dot, maybe a critter got it?

JenRosie...looking at your play list, it seems like you have a lot of They Might Be Giants.  One of your favorites?  I haven't heard of them, but will check them and some other out.

Julia...I looked at the Pfitz schedule after reading your response last night and saw how steady he seems to keep the mileage.  Hudson actually does a cutback week after every 2 weeks, but I don't know that I really need that much at the moment.  Like you, I've been adding mileage so it's a little more on me to determine what I'm doing.  Hope your 800s went well.  Were you doing those on the mill?  Those 4 miles tonight will be over before you know it.

Swift...I noticed that was a pretty huge green blob on the radar over your area.  I bet you're excited about some dry weather for a change.  Have a good, easy group run later.

Jack...Nice job with your 12 miles.  Covering the watch the whole way sounds like a great way to just run by effort.  I've been trying to run more in the mornings this marathon cycle since it's a morning race, just to see if it helps.  I do prefer evening runs though.

Scott...So whatcha doing with that purple dot?  Did you hang on your bedroom wall next to that stop sign you stole? haha  Good luck with the recovery run.  I'm curious to see if you feel better tomorrow than you would have with an off day.  Just keep it really easy.

RVD...Love those flippers...could never run in them, but they look cool.  I can't believe you got through those cookies!  I usually don't get more than 2 boxes, but still end up throwing away cookies about 6 months later.  Now if they sold nachos instead, I'd be in trouble as that kind of food is my real vice.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Looks like everyone must be busy today!  I ran a progression run this morning, 12.36 miles total.  The first 6 miles were easy, then the last 6 were at a 6:56 average.  Considering that I was following up yesterday's tough run, I was really happy with how well my legs were moving today.

Tonight will be 5 easy miles with the running group, which I always look forward to.  I only get one meal today because it's Ash Wednesday, so I'm trying to hold off for a little while, even though I'm starving!

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

jackdyl11

SIAR - Just another 17 mile day, huh?  Slacker.  Awesome job bouncing back after the tempo run.  They Might Be Giants are good.  Their song about James K Polk is one of my father-in-law's favorites.

Julia - I totally missed the speech last night too.  In college we'd make a big thing of it, play drinking games etc. (I'm a nerd), but not anymore.  How did the Yassos go?  I don't think I've actually ever done those.  I bet they would predict a marathon 5-7 minutes faster than I'm going to try, but then again I'm better at the mile than the marathon so it isn't a good test for me.  What race are you doing this weekend?

NTS - Have fun with your group! Rain one day isn't too bad, but after a few days it gets really old.  Hope you stay dry tonight!

Scott - Have fun with your SRD/4 miles.  I was only expecting a few seconds faster this morning.  I get really stiff in the mornings though, to the point that during hard training blocks sometimes I prefer to slide down the stairs rather than walk (when no one's looking).

RVD - Very impressed you can run in those! You must be way more efficient than I.  I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum - I get hurt if I don't wear my Cumuli (and apparently also if I wear them).  Good job making your 10 boxes last 24 whole hours!

Brains aint me forte

It seems I'm conspiring against myself.  I started to get changed to go for my lunch time run only to discover that I didn't pack any running shoes. My after work time is already spoken for so I guess it will be a rest day after all.  Sad

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                      Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

CompetitiveChik

Hey All,

got out today for my first workout since the crash. I"m feelin better. still have some memory things goin on but nothing alarming. hip is still somewhat sore but as long as I'm active it's fine. today was track workout. I walked while the ladies ran. I got in just under 2 miles. Coach wanted me to do 45min of spin so I headed over to the gym after that to get that done. felt really good. I've done about another 20-25 min of spin here at work as well. tomorrow she has me doin 45 min easy jog. I can't wait to get back at it again.

Well, I'm at work so I gotta git.

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Scott...I think a recovery run in some wingtips could have been managed!

Jack...thanks. It does start to feel ridiculous when every run is 10+. Your plural of cumulus made me laugh. I need some shoe too. I've been loving my new Cortana.

CC...so glad you're back and able to be active. I hope the memory stuff and aches and pains heal up soon.

Julia1971

Once again I cut it pretty close this morning - arrived at 8:30 and had to rush to make my class on time. My 800s averaged out to 3:11. So, I know I won't set a goal time any faster than that. Wink. It was a great run, though because I ran by the 9/11 memorial which always quiets my inner-whiner and there were Army guys out running in full gear which also makes me want to HTFU. Oh, and I stopped to take pictures. They didn't turn out well, though. I need a new smartphone.

Scott, Bummer about the shoes. Sad

Jack, We did the same thing in college! Well, and after, too. Smile... I'm thinking of doing the GW 10K weather permitting. That race and I don't have a good history, though. I think last year, I got all the way to the race site and went back home because it was so windy.

SIAR, Do you like progression runs? Seems like you like to mix up the pace in your workouts. I bet that keeps things fun.

RVD, Do the fancy shoes do something special? They look neat. Sorry to hear you're out of cookies already.

Swift, Have fun with your group. Don't let them suck you in to running fast with that MP run tomorrow.

jackdyl11

I did the GW10k in 2011 - was that the year you were thinking about? If so, you were right about the wind!  I remember it being 20 mph, gusting up to 60, directly in our faces for the first 5k (although that could be exagerated)!!  I started on the line with a bunch of local fast guys around me, and took off with the gun like an idiot.  Everyone politely filed in behind me for the first half mile over the bridge.  I was looking around, pretty much begging one of the 30 minute guys to take the lead from me.  Eventually they did; I hung on for about 400m and then dropped off at the first real surge.  That was like a bike race.  I was running in a pack and it felt so slow, but whenever I poked my head out to try to pick up the pace and pass some people the wind knocked me right back down.  If that's the race, I can see why you didn't bother!

Once again I cut it pretty close this morning - arrived at 8:30 and had to rush to make my class on time. My 800s averaged out to 3:11. So, I know I won't set a goal time any faster than that. Wink. It was a great run, though because I ran by the 9/11 memorial which always quiets my inner-whiner and there were Army guys out running in full gear which also makes me want to HTFU. Oh, and I stopped to take pictures. They didn't turn out well, though. I need a new smartphone.

Scott, Bummer about the shoes. Sad

Jack, We did the same thing in college! Well, and after, too. Smile... I'm thinking of doing the GW 10K weather permitting. That race and I don't have a good history, though. I think last year, I got all the way to the race site and went back home because it was so windy.

SIAR, Do you like progression runs? Seems like you like to mix up the pace in your workouts. I bet that keeps things fun.

RVD, Do the fancy shoes do something special? They look neat. Sorry to hear you're out of cookies already.

Swift, Have fun with your group. Don't let them suck you in to running fast with that MP run tomorrow.
                              Julia1971

CC, Somehow, I scrolled over your post. Ugh! I need a new phone! Glad to see you're getting back out there soon.

Jack, that's the same race! I got off the Metro, saw everything blowing around and turned around... That race is also why I hardly ever pre-register for races. A few years ago, they cancelled for some silly reason. They donated the money to charity so it was hard to be angry but it was a lesson in non-refundable means just that.