Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner 1-February-2013 (Read 13 times)

PressingOn

Hey everyone!  Guess what?  I am in taperland!  It only yesterday dawned on me that I am now 2 weeks out from my marathon.  Surprised When did that happen?  Time to enter the germ-a-phobic stage.  Which leads me to saying ds is still fighting his cold.  He's better though so after letting him sleep in I'm taking him to school late.  However, that still screwed up my time to go to the pool to swim.  I have to be there early enough to miss the water zumba class.  Not gonna happen now.  Tomorrow is swim clinic though so I'll rest today instead of Sunday, swim and do core work tomorrow and  I can do my short, easy run on Sunday.

Scott - Good luck on your plan B workout and all the best on your 18 tomorrow. 18, 20, 22 ... they all deserve respect.

Julia - Ah, what a beautiful dog. It's hard to make the choice to put a pet down. I had to make that decision about a beloved cat almost two years ago after a couple months of round the clock care for kidney disease. Hardest thing I've done and I still miss her. So, do your co-workers understand the Strassburg sock or will they all wonder what in the heck you have on your foot? I can imagine it gets some conversations going. My dh and I nicknamed it "the sexy sock".

RVD - The wind sounds demoralizing. Think of it as speed training. It is making you stronger.

Jodi - Run those frustrations out today. Good luck to your dh tomorrow and hope you get everything done between now and then.

Damaris - How are the allergies today? Good job on the 5 miles. And I recall your loss of your kitty. Sad

Marco - Best of luck to you on the tm tomorrow. Maybe the weather will surprise you.

SIAR - I hadn't seen the Garmin Swim. I'll have to google it. Smile Maybe it's better not to know how far we're going in the open water? Who am I kidding. It's gonna drive me crazy this summer not to know how far I've gone.

Swift - Sorry about the Garmin. It's a good excuse for a new one though, right? That's how I'd see it. If not, hope Garmin works with you.

CC - Have fun on the mountain bike. I think I'd be too chicken for mountain biking. I just know I'd go over a cliff, roll down an embankment full of rocks, trees, shrubs and wild animals and come to a stop in a raging river only to be swept downstream. Yes, that would be my luck. LOL! And I agree about pets, love, love, love having them but so hard to say goodbye. I still cannot imagine life without them though.

I think my Garmin is dead.Cry The reason why I suspected water had something to do with it is that during my lunchtime run yesterday in the sun, the display was turning all funky colors and became almost completely clouded over with obvious water underneath. I could barely read the display because it was so clouded over. Then last night's run it worked fine except said battery low. Got home and hooked it up to charge and a few seconds later it said charging complete. Julia, mine has had the problem for a while that I had to press down on it very hard or put a book on top to get it to charge. Found a thread about it on the Garmin forums and some people have opened them and found the contacts inside corroded or broken. It seems the sealant that holds the upper to lower part stops working after a while. Some people were able to fix it various ways, but I don't think I'm going to be able to do that. Have emailed Garmin support. In the meantime looking to see if I can pick up a really cheap GPS watch somewhere quick. Sad Hate that I've become so dependent...

You could always try sticking your Garmin in a container of rice.  The rice will suck up the moisture.  I've used this for mp3 players with good results.

Bad Ass

swift, I hope your Garmin is not dead.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  San Francisco Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Did a quicker afternoon run today since I'm going to race that 5k tomorrow (perhaps against my better judgment).  6.74 miles done at my easy pace.  I was so glad I checked the weather before I headed out!  I was dressed and ready to go, then I decided to look.  I was expecting mid-20s, but it was actually 12 with a feels like of -3.  Needless to say, I changed my attire!

Swift...uggh, so annoying!  Hope you can figure it out...maybe RVD's trick will work.  I'm like you though, totally reliant.

CC...Have fun on the bike!

Pressing...Taper bubble time!  Are you hungry yet?  Good luck with the schedule juggling.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Just B.S.

I'm headed out for 10 miles. It's going to be slow. I'm tired. I just checked my workout  calendar and I

swam 19 times in the last 27 days (mostly at 7:15 am) plus running 4Xweek. Maybe that's why I'm tired.Big grin

I was MIA as we lost our power at 3pm yesterday and it didn't come back on until 7a.m.

Thank goodness it didn't get cold, only down to 15F overnight so no frozen pipes to deal with.

I will catch up with you characters tonight.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

In other fun news, my new pair of the first Saucony Cortana came today.  I don't love them, but I don't love any shoes right now.  I just need something that doesn't already have 500 miles on it, so these fit the bill.  Kinda ugly, but at least the red is fun.

Beth...I keep working on a new nickname for you.  How about "Aqualung?"  That's some serious cardio you're getting in.  I'm glad nothing too bad came of the power loss.  At least when it's cold and the power goes out you don't have to worry about losing food.  Have a good run.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Finally PRed!!!

Thanks, everyone!

RVD, that is a great trick about the rice. I learned that when a phone got wet.

After I read the thread on the Garmin forums, I did take a peek inside the case. The contacts inside of the back piece of the watch with the battery and those (also inside) on the front do have a lot of corrosion, and it looks as though one of the contacts has broken off. So now I will wait to hear back from Garmin. I know it used to be they could send you a refurb for a pretty low price, not sure if they'll still do that now that 305 has been discontinued. May have a look at getting a cheap GPS watch to have as a backup, or may get a 410 or something online...

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Bad Ass

Hello!  It took me forever to get back here.  This day has not gone well.  I want to go home.

Blog

CompetitiveChik

Hello!  It took me forever to get back here.  This day has not gone well.  I want to go home.

Aw, I'm sorry D. Your days almost over though, right? This is part of the reason why I love workin for a small business. I don't have those days anymore.

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

Mostly Harmless

Posting with my phone so I will be brief. Run was pretty bad. Trail was much shorter than advertised and lots of ice. Ended up doing 7.5 at medium pace. 18 tomorrow morning!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                      Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

PressingOn

Officially resting today. Coach thought my plan change up was good.  I'm excited for swim clinic tomorrow.  Ds went to school late today so he could participate in their reading challenge ceremony.  He got MVP out of his class for reading the most hours.  The kid loves to read.

SIAR - my taper eating partner.  Amazingly I'm not that hungry so far. But then, it only dawned on my yesterday my marathon was so close.  Madness will appear.  Give it time. That sounds like a cold day of running you had. Nice new shoes! Maybe you'll love them as you wear them more.

Damaris - Sad

Scott - Well, boo about the trail not being what you were hoping for. Still, 7.5 isn't bad. Perhaps without ice it will be a better option?

Beth - That's a lot of swimming! We lost power yesterday too. Dd and I came home from her swim lessons and the garage door wouldn't open. Couldn't figure out why until we walked in the front door and ds said, "The power went out!" It came on just we we walked in the door.  Good timing on our part.

Swift - Good luck with the Garmin woes.

Finally PRed!!!

Julia: Great pics of your dog. Looks like he was a beautiful dog, too bad he was sick.

Pressing: That's awesome you're in taper.

SIAR: Good luck in your 5K tomorrow! That's happened to me before with the weather too, good you checked.

B.S: Hope you had a nice 10.

Docket: Sorry about your bad day!

Scott: Sorry your run was bad, icy trails can be scary.

Well I found a Timex Ironman watch on clearance, so at least I'll have distance/pace data until I can get another Garmin. This one doesn't have a HRM, but I can live for a while without HR data.

SRD for me today, good thing because my legs are sore enough that I'm walking a little funny. No real LR this weekend, only doing 12+ tomorrow with the marathon training group, then Sunday I'm running with my informal group (on parts of the course, since many of them are training for the half) and going to brunch after.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Bad Ass

Thanks, guys.  I don't know if I talked about what happened earlier this week but one of the other attorneys is not a team player and felt slighted for something stupid and accused two of us of slighting her in one of HER cases (the case was mine anyway but for some reason she thought it was hers).  Now we discovered she was doing something worse in one of MY cases so somebody is in trouble and it's not me.  Just hung up with the boss and I got an apology for him even considering her stupidity.

But having to work with my door close to reduce the drama (and the slamming of doors from her) has been really blah.  Bring on the weekend.

Blog

Bad Ass

And I am probably not making any sense, haha.

Blog

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Ugh, so full. I ate pancakes (banana cinnamon) like I was running a marathon tomorrow. It's a 5k for crying out loud!

Docket...sorry about the drama. At least you know you're in the right.